Can you use your exercise calories tomorrow?

Options
I hiked 10 miles today and burned like 500 calories. But in not feeling so good. I've reached my normal calorie goal for tonight, but I'm wondering if I could log the 500 calories for tomorrow and eat them then?

Replies

• bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I say yes. Weight Watchers lets you use earned exercise points anytime within that week. Same difference.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Sure. Lots of people go by weekly goals instead of daily.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    plus you've lost 50 lbs already ( great job ) so i bet you can trust your own judgement
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll probably do that then :)
    Was just making sure because I'll be netting like 590 something..
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Why not just be honest with yourself and log things you've eaten and exercises you've done today in today's journal?

Wait, that's just crazy talk. Sorry.

#notreallysorry
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    This is something I have been struggling with. I was so accustomed to eating once a day and now trying to get so many calories/meals in is hard. I am seriously NOT hungry. I want to exercise I desire to bust it out at the gym but to have to eat all the calories I burn seriously dampens my enthusiasm.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel so good if I walked 10 miles in the woods, either. Yes, you can use the calories tomorrow.
  • Makoce
    Options
    That's the thing I'm a previous binge eater. So staying under calories every night is a struggle still even after over 250 days of logging. So I figure at least those Calories can help me tomorrow since I for some reason don't have an appetite. Hahahha

And yeah. I'm not sure why that's why I don't feel good or not. I walk a lot. But not that a lot.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Didn't know that myself, So technically can I just eat once a week, meaning I would have to eat 10500 calories on my 1500 calorie a day diet, so I could have a party once a week, because of my 1500 calorie a day diet.

I would presume I would mess up my metabolism system.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Didn't know that myself, So technically can I just eat once a week, meaning I would have to eat 10500 calories on my 1500 calorie a day diet, so I could have a party once a week, because of my 1500 calorie a day diet.

I would presume I would mess up my metabolism system.

Probably. But this is sorta a one time thing.
  • Wooly_I_am
    Options
    Yes, I like to look at everything over a weekly period rather than daily. At least then if a bad day was to appear you can always try and make it up.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's not really a daily thing ... you don't gain or lose weight in one day ... it's more an average over a few days/a week ...
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do- I don't eat back my exercise cals each day, but I usually have a high-cal day on the weekend where I go out and drink and eat a little more, so basically I'm using my exercise cals then. I keep track in a spreadsheet of my weekly calories because MFP can't do that. It's the Weight Watchers approach- each week you get "Flex" points to use whenever you want- all at once, or just a few each day- and you can earn more with exercise.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sure! As long as you're not on a starve/binge cycle (900 calories today/3100 calories tomorrow) type of thing, then it's perfectly fine. A lot of people go by weekly numbers instead of daily numbers.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Lots of different opinions...personally I don't eat back my calories.
  • bluesmaven1
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread because I feel better now about using the exercise cals on the weekend. I can really burn some calories on the elliptical!
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Personally I very rarely eat back exercise calories. I weigh every day but only log on a Monday. By Friday I have lost 3-4 pounds from the Monday and then maybe gain 1 or 2 pounds over the weekend.

Still results in a couple of pounds lost over the week and I can still have a good weekend.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yep. Personally, I "bank them" but consider them expired after 2 days.

FYI: Plenty of thought and trial-and-error went into my 2-day rule...
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yep. Personally, I "bank them" but consider them expired after 2 days.

FYI: Plenty of thought and trial-and-error went into my 2-day rule...

Maybe there is merit in your 2 day rule. My approach hasn't always resulted in a loss - never a gain just stayed the same. I now train extra hard on a Thursday/Friday knowing it will be worth it for the weekend and still get a loss for the week.