whats the benefit of syncing Fitbit?

Options
Hi ... I just synced my fitbit to MFP, but I don't see the benefit. it says I burned 182 calories - but I don't see the calorie adjustment. What about steps ... I did 8,000 steps today. Will MFP take that information as well and use it ? Thanks ! What is the benefit of carrying around my Fitbit and connecting it to MFP ?

Replies

• OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It will normally take 10 minutes for it to sync up :) I use a body media armband and it converts my steps if worked out hard enough to METs and then will tell me how long I worked out for the day in minutes/hours and how many calories I burned as well. I would guess fitbit would do the same to have it work with MFP
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    unless you enable negative adjustments you won't see ANY adjustment from "fitbit" (other than 0) until your fitbit calculation of your days burn would be greater than what MFP estimates your BMR x activity level setting to be.

the "adjusment" is only meant to bring the MFP calories for the day up (or down int he case of negative adjustments) to match the total burn from your day of fitbit

If MFP says you'll be 1500 calories for the day but fitbit says 1700 was burned you'd get an adjustment of 200 calories to make the numbers match
  • mtwiz23
    mtwiz23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh I see .... only if I exceed MFP's predictions, will there be a benefit. Am I understanding this correctly ?
  • mtwiz23
    Options
    Also, how come upon waking up, I'm already given 114 calories in exercise ???
  • Pandorian
    Options
    fitbit is a total daily activity tracker, including the metabolic activity that is occurring while you're snoozing, they allow for that, and your adjustment can change throughout the day ie if you start the day really active your adjustment may be large and then decrease as the day goes along... they seem to assume you'll stay as active as you started the day for the rest of it.

It's not 100% that "only if you exceed MFPs predictions will there be a benefit" with the fitbit linked you have at least 2 additional measurements... sleep and daily steps. There are 4 data points that you can view to ensure your linked accounts are working right.
  • mtwiz23
    Options
    ok; Im starting to catch on! Where are the "check points" regarding the steps synching? that's the main thing I was looking for; to link that activity. Thank you !
  • Pandorian
    Options
    found one of Scott's post re the fitbit and syncing
    . There are four data points that you can compare between your Fitbit and MyFitnessPal accounts to determine if your accounts are syncing properly.
    These four items are Fitbit Steps, Fitbit Sleep Minutes, Weight and the FitBit Adjustment (for calories burned).

You can see your Weight, Fitbit Steps and Fitbit Sleep Minutes on our website or in our mobile apps

On the Web

Log in to www.myfitnesspal.com. Mobile app users should log in using the same username and password they use in the app.

Once you've logged in, click "My Home" tab, then "Check-In". This is where we sync your Weight, Fitbit Steps and Fitbit Sleep Minutes.

In Our Apps

On the "Progress" page of the app, click the "Weight" label to reveal additional measurements, including Fitbit Steps and Fitbit Sleep Minutes.

(Note that if you do not attach your Fitbit to the wrist band and set it to stopwatch mode when you sleep, you should not expect to see any Fitbit Sleep Minutes data.)

To verify that the Fitbit calorie adjustment is working correctly, please see this explanation of the Fitbit Calorie Adjustment: http://j.mp/ZHtTYk

We hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have a new fitbit and am just learning to use it... this troubleshooting is a real time-saver. :)
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am paying close attention.... I think I really want a fitbit
  • mtwiz23
    Options
    thank you !
  • cfischer69
    cfischer69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I won a Fitbit Flex through my employer's wellness program. I started using it last week. It claims to be about 95% accurate tracking steps from walking, running. It uses gyroscopic measurements of your hand to determine this. I'm wondering about steps taken while pushing a baby stroller...which I do sometimes.

I set MFP for very limited activity. FB syncs pretty quickly throughout the day to MFP. That means (for better or worse) my calories left for the day trickles UP through the day as activity is registered on the FB and synced to MFP.

I have totally seen having the FB on all day motivates me to take more steps...especially if I'm close to a "boundary" like just under 5,000.

I also sync my Fitbit to my company's wellness program. I get 5 "points" for each day I take more than 5,000 steps. More points this year means lower insurance premiums next year.

As a side benefit, I've enjoyed using the Fitbit to track quality of sleep.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I won a Fitbit Flex through my employer's wellness program. I started using it last week. It claims to be about 95% accurate tracking steps from walking, running. It uses gyroscopic measurements of your hand to determine this. I'm wondering about steps taken while pushing a baby stroller...which I do sometimes.

I'm a dog walker and I use my fitbit zip to keep track of my daily activities. I get upwards of 10k a day and I wear my fitbit in my the center of my bra. I promise you. It counts all the steps I take :laugh:

My fitbit adds and subtracts calories as needed according to my activity level. Not that it makes any difference because I don't count calories anymore :blushing: But it's nice to see the charts of my progress and stuff :drinker:

edited for typos
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also, how come upon waking up, I'm already given 114 calories in exercise ???

MFP and FitBit both calculate your BMR, but using slightly different formulas.

FitBit uses BMR calories for all non-moving time.

So it would appear your FitBit BMR calc is higher than MFP calc.

And an adjustment is not just exercise, though it may be. If you are just more active than the activity level you selected in MFP, you get a positive adjustment.

The figure to compare is a whole non-exercise day.
    FitBit TDEE for the day compared to MFP's Goal page maintenance figure.

If FitBit is over by decent amount, then you are more active than you are aware and told MFP about. So you can minimize the adjustments and plan your day's eating better if you increase the MFP activity level.

Then you'll be closer to the only adjustments are truly the exercise done that FitBit sees.
    Lifting should still be logged on MFP as strength training, as FitBit would greatly underestimate that. The MFP cal burns may appear low compared to cardio of equal time, but that is true.