A bunch of questions!

Hi all just got a bunch of questions to throw at you guys, any answers would be much appreciated!

1) How often should I weigh myself? I used to do it on a daily basis at home since I had a scale, but now that I'm in Uni I can only weigh myself when I go to the gym at different hours each day due to class timetables and the fluctuations are quite large.

2) Is it better to measure my waist than to measure my weight as a indicator of fat loss?

3) I've read somewhere that you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, is this true? If so then why do some people say stuff like, the number on the scale might not have changed that much because you lost fat and gained muscle.

4) How reliable is the BMR? Suppose my BMR says that I only burn 2047 calories a day and I'm trying to go for a 1000 calorie deficit per day and I only burn like 500-600 in the gym each day does that mean I can only consume 1500-1600 calories a day?

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• 1. as often as you like as long as its the same time of day.

2. it is better since you can still lose inches but not weight

3. its hard to gain muslce while on a deficit. when losing weight you can also lose muscle so lifting will help stop this happening.

4. all calories are estimates. a 1000 calorie deficit is too much. typically it should be 500.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    1. Agree with above poster, as often or as little as you want.
    2. Inches are a lot better indicator of progress
    3. Most people who say that have no clue what they're talking about. It is very difficult to build muscle on a deficit. Usually, people are either retaining water or just underestimating their calorie intake when they say they're doing everything right and seeing no results.
    4. Also agree with above poster here. A moderate deficit of 500 calories will help with sustainability.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    1. most weigh once a week - personal preference
    2. Both. You may see results one way before the other.
    3. Everyone is different. It can be done but as previous poster mentioned is difficult. You can gain strength and lifting helps maintain muscle while losing.
    4. BMR is the base amount of calories to live and breath. You should not go below it. Find your daily calorie expenditure or use MFP's calculation and eat at a deficit from there. Agree a 1000 calorie deficit is probably too much especially is you are concerned about building muscle.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Hi all just got a bunch of questions to throw at you guys, any answers would be much appreciated!

1) How often should I weigh myself? I used to do it on a daily basis at home since I had a scale, but now that I'm in Uni I can only weigh myself when I go to the gym at different hours each day due to class timetables and the fluctuations are quite large.

2) Is it better to measure my waist than to measure my weight as a indicator of fat loss?

3) I've read somewhere that you can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, is this true? If so then why do some people say stuff like, the number on the scale might not have changed that much because you lost fat and gained muscle.

4) How reliable is the BMR? Suppose my BMR says that I only burn 2047 calories a day and I'm trying to go for a 1000 calorie deficit per day and I only burn like 500-600 in the gym each day does that mean I can only consume 1500-1600 calories a day?

Thanks a lot!

1. Once a week is more than enough. Your weight loss won't change because you're off and on the scale constantly. You could never weigh yourself and still lose weight.

2. Maybe.

3. Muscle gain doesn't usually happen eating at a deficit and most people say that because they want to feel better about not losing.

4. BMR or TDEE? You don't take a deficit from your BMR. If your TDEE is 2000 then yes your calculations are right but you shouldn't probably be trying to do 1,000 calorie deficit.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    I only like to weigh in when I "feel" as though I have lost .
    Would rather see a loss of 1-2 lbs than like .5 lb.
    So usually every other week for me.
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    You should weigh yourself first thing in the morning in the same clothes once a month. This will show your true weight changes. To measure fat loss, the best way is to purchase an inexpensive fat caliper on the internet. These cost around $10.00. I would also recommend getting a cheap scale from Fred Meyers, Target, etc. The number on the scale is not important. The changes are the important thing. Your measurements are a good way to monitor weight loss. I would only measure monthly. You can send me a friends request if you wish. You are correct that your goal is to lose fat and gain lean muscle.

Deborah
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member

Thanks a lot!

1) again like everyone said however often you want, however try for the same time every day. Why not get a scale for while your in school? that way you can weigh in your dorm room or apartment without it having to be at the gym randomly.

2) use both. Sometimes the scale number wont change but you may have lost some inches.

3) It is difficult to build muscle while eating fewer calories but you can still do it. You just have to remember proteins and strength training like weights to help build the muscle.

4) BMR or TDEE are estimates based on information you provide. Compare one with the other and if they are close pick one to use. If there is a big difference use a number between the two. a 1000 calorie defict is normally what is recommended for 2 lbs/week loss however this is difficult for mayn to maintain. You also never want to eat less than 1200 calories at your lowest.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Thanks a lot!

1) What matters more is that you're being consistent in RE to time of day and conditions. If you weigh daily, you should weigh yourself at the same time and under roughly the same conditions...if you weigh in on Friday morning at 6 AM after you've dropped a deuce and you're going to make that your anchor then you should weigh in every Friday morning at roughly 6 AM after you've dropped a deuce.

2) Taking measurements and using calipers to measure BF in conjunction with the scale are beneficial. The scale doesn't measure fat...it measures weight...fat is only a singular component of your weight.

3) Baring very small noob gains, you cannot gain substantial muscle while in a calorie deficit. To get those minimal noob gains, you also have to be hitting the weight room hard...you aren't gaining walking on a treadmill. Basically, you cannot be catabolic and anabolic at the same time. Building and substantial muscle requires a calorie surplus. A guy with pretty good genetics might possibly be able to put on 10 - 15 Lbs of muscle in an entire year if he were really hitting the gym hard and hat a spot on diet with a modest surplus. The reason you here people say "you're losing fat and gaining muscle" is because they don't know what they're talking about and also, wishful thinking.

4) First of all, your BMR is your basal metabolic rate...it is what your body burns just being alive if you did nothing but sleep for 24 hours. A calculator utilizing the Katch-McArdle formula is the most accurate because it only assumes your LBM...if you're using the Harris Benedict formula for example, but are grossly overweight or obese, your BMR calculation is going to be off by a pretty good amount because the formula is basically treating fat like it's LBM that needs fuel...you obviously don't need to fuel your fat. Ultimately, everything is an estimate that you may have to tweak a little here an there...but provided that you fall into statistical averages, TDEE calculators and what not are fairly accurate in so long as you are accurate putting in your information.

On #4 I think you're confusing BMR and TDEE...you should never take your cut from BMR.
  • Spinalcord12
    Spinalcord12 Posts: 20 Member
    Right! I see

Thanks for all the replies so far.

My first few questions have been answered but I'm confused about the fourth.

So how should I calculate how much to eat and all that?

I'm using a Calorie Burner Calculator to figure out how much I burn via exercise each time I go to the gym.
    Its roughly 450-600 calories depending on how long I stay there. I usually just do cycling, rowing and some weights. I'm 184lbs 6ft Tall but I still have a belly, idk why.

Then my BMR is supposedly 2047. So for this week I've been working on the assumption that since my BMR is 2047 and my daily exercise lets me burn around 450-600 calories, lets just say 500. That I burn 2500 calories a day, so I've been eating around 1500 calories a day to get that 1000 deficit.

Have I been doing this all wrong?

Thanks!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Find a TDEE calculator. Enter all your info. Now you take a % deduction from that number. At 6 ft and 184 lbs you probably don't really need to lose weight. Sounds like you'd be better to work on lowering your BF and doing some heavy lifting to reshape that belly you don't like. Your BMR is the number you need to survive in a coma. Does it sound like a good idea to eat less than that?
  • Spinalcord12
    Spinalcord12 Posts: 20 Member
    Find a TDEE calculator. Enter all your info. Now you take a % deduction from that number. At 6 ft and 184 lbs you probably don't really need to lose weight. Sounds like you'd be better to work on lowering your BF and doing some heavy lifting to reshape that belly you don't like. Your BMR is the number you need to survive in a coma. Does it sound like a good idea to eat less than that?

Right I see, thanks a lot for the reply! Much appreciated.

About the Body fat % thing and my weight I got some questions :P
    As I said I'm 184lbs when I lift my shirt up I can sort of see my ribs but I also have a belly, my waist is like 34-36 inches but its really loose and I feel like its all fat. Also my thighs are still pretty big and flabby arms, should I change my workouts from cardio based to weight training?

I used to be around 315lbs (14 Months ago) if that means anything.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member

Yes a big difference. The "flabby" you are seeing is probably mostly excess skin. You should probably consult a doctor and determine exactly what your body fat % is before trying to loss more weight.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member

Right I see, thanks a lot for the reply! Much appreciated.

About the Body fat % thing and my weight I got some questions :P
    As I said I'm 184lbs when I lift my shirt up I can sort of see my ribs but I also have a belly, my waist is like 34-36 inches but its really loose and I feel like its all fat. Also my thighs are still pretty big and flabby arms, should I change my workouts from cardio based to weight training?

Yes. Strength training will help retain lean muscle mass while burning fat specifically. It is the considered by many to be the most effective way to decrease your body fat %. Definitely rely more on measurements if you go this route, and don't be worried if the scale goes up a little but at first. Your muscles will retain water to help with repair. It is a temporary gain and it is not fat gained. You can still do cardio too of course, just don't overwork yourself.