Cheat Meal or Cheat Day?

Options

Replies

• Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal never a cheat day and usually my cheat meal is not on my rest day. That way I can work it off hopefully.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Look forward to everyday. Make the food you love fit into your daily routine.
    I'm in my 30's. Don't use that as a crutch. Just do it right.

This. Plus, I also look at my weekly totals. My days are never right on the money. Just close. It usually balances out. I'm in my 50s - so don't let age hold you back.

ETA: Try to look at food a little differently. Making food a reward or seeing it as cheating keeps the focus on food all wrong. Eat what you like - just learn to moderate.

All of this!!!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Every Sun-While I was losing and still do after maintenance almost 3 years. Anything I have craved on Sundays! Works for me, may not for all!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Look forward to everyday. Make the food you love fit into your daily routine.
    I'm in my 30's. Don't use that as a crutch. Just do it right.

This! Now that i am in my 30s .. i find everything i eat sticks...
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I am 31 so you are right I can not use my age as a an excuse. Age is all relative, plus I know 31 is considered young still! I LOVE all of your ideas/suggestions and feedback this is wonderful- keep it coming!!!!:smooched:

Oh thank you for saying that, I'm also 31 and was called old yesterday, lol. The guy who called me old is pretty much like a brother to me so yeah but lol, he's just younger.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the terms cheat meal, cheat day, etc... In order to actually lose weight, we need to be in a caloric deficit. We can eat whatever we want as long as the deficit is maintained. What does "cheat" mean in this context?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the terms cheat meal, cheat day, etc... In order to actually lose weight, we need to be in a caloric deficit. We can eat whatever we want as long as the deficit is maintained. What does "cheat" mean in this context?

For me it's to have 1 day a week that I allow myself to have a meal that might put me over my limit, I do plan it out in my day but if it goes over then so be it, actually I hope to be higher in calories that 1 day from that 1 meal, it keeps my metabolism in check. If you eat the same amount of calories every day of the week, your body will get use to that and then you will probably plateau. Gotta trick that metabolism. Why not treat yourself once a week? You work so hard all week long, to treat yourself to something you don't normally have, it's not a bad thing. I couldn't possibly stick with this if I deprived myself.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

The caloric deficit doesn't need to be maintained on a daily basis.
    Of course, "cheat" days/meals will slow your progress, but that's an acceptable trade-off for many.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the whole idea of "cheating" doesn't cut it for me. I have a certain number of calories that I know I can eat per day, and I do a certain amount of exercise. Within those calories, I will eat my meals, and will ALWAYS have a nice snack in the evening, usually around 200 cals or something. If I want to have a nice meal, I don't really think much of it, because I stay within my limits the rest of the time.

Weight loss is a long term thing, you need to be able to find a balance, and that's what will help you the most when you get nearer to your goal. Build the things you like into your every day diet. You need to be able to say "this is me now, I have a healthy diet and lifestyle". To feel as though you need to cheat it suggests that your changes won't be as sustainable in the long term as you'd like. If you reach your ideal compromise between "want" and "need", you won't wish to cheat, because you will already have everything that you need in your diet.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    To be honest, the whole idea of "cheating" doesn't cut it for me. I have a certain number of calories that I know I can eat per day, and I do a certain amount of exercise. Within those calories, I will eat my meals, and will ALWAYS have a nice snack in the evening, usually around 200 cals or something. If I want to have a nice meal, I don't really think much of it, because I stay within my limits the rest of the time.

Weight loss is a long term thing, you need to be able to find a balance, and that's what will help you the most when you get nearer to your goal. Build the things you like into your every day diet. You need to be able to say "this is me now, I have a healthy diet and lifestyle". To feel as though you need to cheat it suggests that your changes won't be as sustainable in the long term as you'd like. If you reach your ideal compromise between "want" and "need", you won't wish to cheat, because you will already have everything that you need in your diet.

well said. :drinker:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    As long as you can fit your cheat meal (or any meal for that matter) into your macros you'll lose weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I kind of view calling it a cheat meal or day like saying I slept with your brother but I only did it on Sunday and I was really good the rest of the week so it doesn't matter. If it works into your plan it isn't a cheat and if you view it as cheating then who exactly are you cheating other than yourself?
  • pgoodt1994
    pgoodt1994 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am carb cycling. I start out on Monday with a low carb day, Tuesday high carb and switch back and forth each day. Low carb days women should not eat less than 1200 calories and high carb days no less than 1500. Sunday is a cheat day. Love it so far. This is my second full week. Last week I lot 3.6 pounds.
  • sld4063
    sld4063 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I kind of view calling it a cheat meal or day like saying I slept with your brother but I only did it on Sunday and I was really good the rest of the week so it doesn't matter. If it works into your plan it isn't a cheat and if you view it as cheating then who exactly are you cheating other than yourself?

Seriously I love your analogy that is freaking hilarious but puts it in context very bluntly!
  • sld4063
    sld4063 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

For me it's to have 1 day a week that I allow myself to have a meal that might put me over my limit, I do plan it out in my day but if it goes over then so be it, actually I hope to be higher in calories that 1 day from that 1 meal, it keeps my metabolism in check. If you eat the same amount of calories every day of the week, your body will get use to that and then you will probably plateau. Gotta trick that metabolism. Why not treat yourself once a week? You work so hard all week long, to treat yourself to something you don't normally have, it's not a bad thing. I couldn't possibly stick with this if I deprived myself.

I agree with everything you stated as the explanation!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week. Our family eats fast food once a week & I look forward to that every week!
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my daily calories and I want then I'm going to have it, plain and simple.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I typically have one day per week when I eat something that I would not normally eat. For example, today I will have lunch with my daughter at a restaurant. Since I refuse to eat nothing but salads, I will get something that is higher in calories than I would typically eat. I don't do this every day. In fact, I don't even do it every week. However, if I limit myself to nothing but salads and plain grilled chicken to keep my calorie count to under 1300 per day every day and never enjoy (in moderation) a meal out, I will fail. Just like life in general, I work really hard most of the time to have an opportunity to relax occasionally.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

priceless.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I'm 32. I manage just fine with one high intake day a week. I simply set my calories to maintenance that day and still count. It gives me the energy I need to lift the weights. Maintenance gives plenty of room for treats :).