2»

Replies

• tamandua1505
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone

Although of course silly me for bringing it on myself through my diet etc
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Heh also helpful "do you know most people who die from cancer do so during the chemo stage"

Helpfulnosity

Is there a "report post" thing?
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Have reported it
  • miller930
    miller930 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OP, Well wishes are being sent Your way! Fortunately You can fight this and get Healthy! Unfortunately Some people will be blissfully ignorant the rest of their lives! Good Luck and Fight Like A Girl!!

PS. I guess my niece got cancer when she was 9 months old because she didn't eat right! Shame on her! FYI, She is a healthy 19 year old today!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Heh also helpful "do you know most people who die from cancer do so during the chemo stage"

Helpfulnosity

Yes! And therefore some posts may look weird as I have cleaned up the thread!

Let me put a note here:

Please stay on topic in the forums. The topic here is " Weight Gain from Chemo. Let's be what MFP is known for. Encouraging and helpful.

I do not wish to issue strikes, but will.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no advice, but I can and will pray for you. (((hugs))) Keep that positive/great attitude... and God bless you!
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Helpfulnosity

Yes! And therefore some posts may look weird as I have cleaned up the thread!

Let me put a note here:

Please stay on topic in the forums. The topic here is " Weight Gain from Chemo. Let's be what MFP is known for. Encouraging and helpful.

I do not wish to issue strikes, but will.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator

Oh, that is about a million times better. Thank you.

OP: I'm afraid I don't have any more helpful advice beyond giving yourself and your body some time. And I know that's probably the last thing you want to hear right now- after weeks and months of prodding and testing and feeling awful, you want something you can CONTROL. Anything! So I'd talk to a nutritionist, who can give you some information on what your body needs right now, and I'd try to do some gentle exercise. Only what your doctor approves, and nothing that wears you out, but some walking around the neighborhood every day, or some laps in the pool or light lifting at your gym, might give you something to do that'll help you feel a little more in control.
    Try and be patient with yourself if you can. You and your body are going through an awful lot- if there's ever a time when it's OK to cut yourself a little slack, now is it.
    Keep your chin up. You've got a lot of folks pulling for you. ::hug::
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone and thank you to the moderator who took the nasty stuff away.

There is a new trainer at my gym who - sadly - has a few people in her family who have been through chemo. Am having a session with her next week.

Feeling better now have started logging my food and exercise anyway. Am still managing spin and weights a few times per week but a new side effect is am getting really out of breath walking :(
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can only work with your body darling, so if walking is difficult could you get one of those mini exercise bikes to pedal while you're in your armchair watching TV? Or some Velcro weights so you can just lift your legs while your sat?

Don't be too hard on your self sweetheart and listen to your body! I'll keep you in my thoughts :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had chemo for breast cancer 7 1/2 years ago at the age of 37. I'm sorry you're going through this; it's miserable and awful and scary. If I were you, I'd focus on eating foods that are healthy (of course with treats thrown in as necessary!) and that taste good to you. I know that I eventually lost my taste for most things, but those little cutie oranges tasted wonderful! I lived on them on the days around my chemo treatments. Also, don't stress yourself worrying too much about fitness; you'll have time after treatment to get yourself back in shape. Just do what you can without exhausting yourself and focus on healing and rest. You do NOT want to be exhausted from overdoing it when you go in for surgery; you'll need all your strength to heal from that.

The road can be tough, but you'll get through!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My mom was diagnosed in 2007. Chemo, 4 surgeries and radiation later, gained a good 30 pounds. So 8 is nothing! :)

After she was feeling back to normal (which took a lot of time after the surgeries and she got her mind back in the game, she was able to lose the 30 lbs in about 9 months. Slower than normal, she was 58, but it did come off. She said it was way harder then than it was the other times she dropped weight (probably because of meds, not able to do strenous exercise, and having cancer as a reason to eat what she wanted (I kinda relate it to pregnancy) but it was do able. For years she told me she tried and couldn't and then would fall of the wagon, but finally she got back on the train and said enough was enough and focused on it. She's happy and healthy now and we are hoping she stays that way.

Please focus on recovery as much as you can now, then when you feel up to it you know what you can do and need to do!
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Argh your poor mum. Well done her managing to lose the weight too.

Am thinking about getting an exercise bike if can find a good one, thank you
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Although haven't lost any weight yet, am feeling better about it now am logging my food and exercise at least

Am quite enjoying the message boards here too ;)
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Am just sooooo hungry alllllll the time
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    Feeling much cheered by arrival of 8 week old kitten :)
  • tamandua1505
    Options
    And am not quite as hungry. Having something else to think about at last? Is nice to have a new little furry orange person in the house