getting harder to keep weight off

bbellman
bbellman Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I've lost 30lbs. and have kept it off for about 2 years now. Ever since I met my goal, I still always track my calories and stay at about 1400 calories a day. On the weekends, I'm a bit more lenient with myself. I have never had a problem with any weight gain-until about the past 6 months! I've been doing the same thing for the past 2 years and now when I weigh myself on Mon. morning I'm 5 lbs. heavier and I know I'm not eating 5lbs. worth of food in two days!!! Anyone know what could be happening? Help!!

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    As we get older our metabolism slows so you don't need to eat as much(not fair). If you have been eating and exercising pretty much the same way for 2 years, a swich up in diet and exercise could help.
  • deborahkidd
    deborahkidd Posts: 35 Member
    I feel your pain. I am 45 and have been watching my calories and road biking 20 miles a day but yet I get on the scale and I am heavier!! Sometimes I think it could be water weight and certain times of the month I am heavier. I am sure you are in good shape and that is the important thing.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    As we get older our metabolism slows so you don't need to eat as much(not fair). If you have been eating and exercising pretty much the same way for 2 years, a swich up in diet and exercise could help.

So sad but true! That is exactly why I am on here. Are you losing those 5 lbs. during the week? If so, it could just be water weight coming from your weekend fun (drinking, movie popcorn, etc). I don't drink that much (I think I went over my limit in college!) but when I do, I really see it on the scale the next day or two.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Are you doing the same workouts? Eventually your body becomes pretty much immune to the same ones so if you exercise, find a different exercise to do.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    How much do you weigh? I can only think you might need more than 1400 cals a day. When you get to maintaining you should be eating and burning about the same amount of calories. Maybe you should consider being more focused on general fitness signifiers than specific weight. At some point your body will be how it wants to be.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Are you exercising too? I'm only asking because I am curious to whether or not you are eating 1400 cals total or on top of exercise cals. Is it possible you have been eating too few cals and have dramatically slowed your metabolism?
  • You might have hit a plateau. Its all about keeping your body confuse so it does not adapt to the same behavior. Change some eating patterns or fitness routines. If you would like some more suggest Beachbody had world of info that has greatly help and improve my life. www.Beachbody.com Good luck!!! Nina
  • Thanks so much everyone!! I will definitely take everything you all have said into consideration!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Weigh in on Friday, before the weekend, as opposed to Monday, after the weekend. I weigh in the morning of a lienient day to ensure that I'm not seeing the alchohol-and-salt-enduced water retention number on the scale.

Charmagne
This discussion has been closed.