Running Everyday

Options
I've completed the C25K program and now I run for 30-33 minutes every other day which for my pace results in about 2.5 miles. I ALWAYS push through even when my muscles are tired. Normally on my way back home I start to cramp up in my stomach area and of course my legs are always sore. I was wondering if it's okay for my muscles and/or joints if I begin to run everyday. If anyone could give some advice I'd greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Most running experts advise at least 1 rest day a week. Also cross training (strength, yoga, spinng, anything else) is recommended 2 days a week. Based on the readin I have done I would say that if you want to increase the days a week you run, and not mileage in general (which you could easily do running 3x a week) maybe add 1 day a week and keep that up for a few weeks, when your body adjusts then add one more day. But try to always have 1 rest day.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I recommend adding in 2 days a week of strength training instead of running. A lot of people see a huge difference in their running when they add in squats. I really wouldn't recommend doing the same thing every single day, you're likely to injure yourself and cause more problems. Even olympians cross train so that they don't overuse the same muscles and tendons everyday.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    I think there are alot of people that run close to every day. It may work for some, but not for others. Alot of recommended training type programs suggest 2-3 rest days or x-train days a week. For me, it was helpful to have the consistency of running every day. I can't do it right now because of life schedules, and its throwing me off big time.

You mentioned you are cramping and sore. Are you stretching enough before hand (and after?) It is really a big help with the soreness in the legs for me. It would be concerned that if you are sore already, then adding more days to the mix might be detrimental.

FYI, I am no running expert, just offering my 2 cents. I just started running in June myself.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I run every other day, anywhere from 45 - 60 mins, 3 - 4 miles. At the moment I am NOT doing any other cross training but am going to start weight lifting / toning next week. I haven't had any major issues running, but my legs do get sore, especially if I am running intervals. But I always push through, it's never enough to where I have to stop.

I do recommend adding another type of exercise though. Was never a big fan of weight lifting, but I'm gonna start. I was never a fan of running either but now I am.

Best of luck :)
    Joanna
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    What really helped me when I started to run more, especially with leg soreness, was to run a little most days (5-6 days/week) to stretch my increased mileage over more days. I still run at least 5 days/week, most of the time 6. It has been the safest way to increase miles for me while avoiding injury.

Also, especially when I'm building miles, I make sure almost all of my runs are "easy" pace, sometimes edging into "medium" when I've been at a certain mileage for awhile. This helped me conquer the shin splints I got from running too much, too often, too fast.

YMMV, of course, and I am not a fast runner or any kind of expert.

ETA I also cross train with regular cycling (30 minutes on the trainer in the mornings and long rides on the weekends) and swimming (ideally 2-3 workouts/week during tri season, but definitely not there right now); I don't strength train much but I plan on adding in some kettlebell work during the off season this year.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think there are alot of people that run close to every day. It may work for some, but not for others. Alot of recommended training type programs suggest 2-3 rest days or x-train days a week. For me, it was helpful to have the consistency of running every day. I can't do it right now because of life schedules, and its throwing me off big time.

You mentioned you are cramping and sore. Are you stretching enough before hand (and after?) It is really a big help with the soreness in the legs for me. It would be concerned that if you are sore already, then adding more days to the mix might be detrimental.

FYI, I am no running expert, just offering my 2 cents. I just started running in June myself.

If you're sore and cramping, that is your body telling you something.

Stretching before running is a no no when is comes to static stretching. A warm up of dynamic "stretching" is ok before.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit more concerned about the fact that your legs are sore after your relatively short runs. I personally don't run every day (shoot for 3 or 4 days a week with two days of strength training, and possibly another form of cardio (biking) in warm weather). But, the only time my legs are sore (even when I was just starting) are when I do really long runs - 10+ miles. I would start with perhaps getting fitted for new shoes. That should help with the soreness.

I agree no stretching before hand. I just walk to warm up, but that's probably unnecessary too. After is good, though I'm usually bad and skip that too. When I do something after running, the best thing is to use a foam roller.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I strength train 2 days a week and run 4 days. I run 3 miles each time. I was always sore and cramping in the beginning. About a month in, I felt great!

ETA: I do a 5 min walk to warm up and a 5 min walk to cool down.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would also say, if you want to run more often, vary the time/distance a bit. Some days, maybe only do a mile. Others, shoot for 3.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you are a new runner then I would say no to every day. Even experienced runners take days off. And if you have pain in just a short 2.5 mile run, then your body is not ready for more yet.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Some people can handle running every day and some can't. About 3 years ago, I was running every day and that was all I was doing. For me, it was not good. My knees started causing me a lot of pain and started hurting 24/7. I remember having my dentist tell me to lie still as I was moving my legs so much. He didn't know that my knees were killing me. Running was one of my passions back then. It was very difficult quitting cold turkey. I stopped running for a few years and allowed myself to regain 40 lbs of a 120 lb weight loss from over 12 years ago. Anyways, in January, I started counting calories and doing all different types of exercise(kickboxing, Zumba, Strength training, Interval training, Spin, etc...). In the beginning, I iced my knees as I did experience some discomfort. By June, I slowly started running again loosely following the C25k program. Since then, I have run several 5ks and run regularly during the week. However, I do not run every day and have kept up my strength training. For me, it has allowed me to run pain free(and improve my 5k time considerably). I really really like running but I know for me, I cannot run every single day.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I had been running 3-4 days a week for about 4 years, I only did this spring summer and fall. I never ran in the winter but last year I joined a 30 day challenge and ran everyday in Dec then another challenge came up for Jan so I did it. I ran 115 days in a row and loved it but I started to have heel pain so I cut back to my usual3-4 days and the pain got worse. I now have not been able to run or walk without pain since the spring.
    It ruined my Triathlon season I couldn't compete and my summer no running at all. We are nearing winter and unless something happens quickly it with ruin my snow shoe season as well.
    In my opinion it is not worth it to not rest those 115 of running have cost me a lot more.
    Run less run smarter to be able to run longer.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Even the most seasoned runners will tell you not to run every day.

I am recovering from an injury and a month ago started running 4x a week: M/T; Th/Fr.

I asked a friend who is a serious athlete about running every day and he advised against it. You do need at least one rest or cross training day a week.