How Many Calories Do You Eat?

Options
Hey Everyone,
I am not sure how many calories I should consume each day.
I went to a nutritionist and she told me 1,650 for weight loss.
That seems like a lot.
I see a lot of people on here with goals of 1,200, but my nutritionist said that isn't enough and if I ate that, I would go into starvation mode.
I would love to know how many calories you have as your goal and what you think of my nutritionist's comments.
Thanks!
Ashley

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey Ashley, I'm losing on 1,700, so 1,650 for you seems a little low. Have you checked the TDEE method?

All the best :smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    2nd post on this same subject. Why do you think 1650 is a lot? You are a dude right? It really doesn't matter how much anyone else eats.

ETA: You got some good info in the last post. Maybe do the TDEE method as HJ suggests and see if you get a different #.
  • ajacot924
    ajacot924 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, I am a girl.
    I was just interested in getting information about general calorie goals for others.
    I don't think 1,650 is a lot, but it seems like a lot compared to the 1,200 some are eating.
  • beachlover317
    Options
    No, I am a girl.
    I was just interested in getting information about general calorie goals for others.
    I don't think 1,650 is a lot, but it seems like a lot compared to the 1,200 some are eating.

:laugh: You look totally different now!! Nice switch! Yes it does seem like a lot compared to 1200, but that's probably too low for someone your age. Do the TDEE method and see what number you get with your activity levels.

Also, track your food and exercise for about 4 weeks. Watch the inches and number on the scale and see what happens. If you gain or maintain, back off by 100 calories. If you lose - great. Weigh/measure your food and log it all (good and bad). This doesn't have to be so hard. Eat the foods you like and teach yourself moderation. No one is perfect at this, but it is a learned skill. If I can do it - I know you can. Don't be me in 25 more years. Do it right this time and don't look back!

I love Raleigh (if in fact that is correct ), my sister and brother live there. Good luck!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Wait... how do you DO that :wink:

What's your height age and weight Ash? I'll do a little TDEE calculation for you.
  • ajacot924
    Options
    Haha yeah, I realized in my other profile pic that you can see more of my husband than me.
    I will definitely look into the TDEE method.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I just want it to happen fast but I know it is supposed to be slow and steady.
    I really want to do this right and be able to sustain it.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I love Raleigh too. We like living here.
  • ajacot924
    Options
    Hildy_J, My height is 5'7 and my weight is 183.
    Thanks!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    all the ones I see... thats the problem
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    My TDEE-1000 calories is around 2300 calories if I don't exercise. If I do exercise, I usually end up having to eat over 3k to have a good NET.

1650 seems like nothing in comparison. LOL
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I would find a new nutritionist... she should educate herself on 'starvation mode'. However I'm waiting to see the TDEE calculation, I'm thinking something like 1450-1500 would be good.
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Okay. I see the picture now. Too funny. I'm a retired teacher. I know how classroom stress and all the "after hours" work and planning can take a toll on you. So smart to do this now. I yo-yoed for YEARs and finally just decided to do it. That's the mindset you need. Just do it. Put your health first. Don't obsess on it so much that it takes over. This is about improving your life.

Best of luck~
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    I do about 1500-1600 and am losing steadily. I'm 5'6" with about 40 lbs to go, so it seems reasonable....provided you do at least a little exercise or you have an active job.

A lot of the people here who have "goals" of 1200 a day set their weight loss rate too high. You shouldn't be trying to lose 2 lbs a week unless you are about 100 lbs overweight. Also, often they are talking about net calories and they eat their exercise calories back...which would generally put them at about 1500-1600/ day :)
  • jlb0301
    Options
    I'm 5'4". I started at 187 and am now at 164lbs. I eat 1490 calories a day. My work is lightly active and I do two workouts a week plus walking 35-40min at a brisk pace 4 times a week. The 23 lbs lost is over about 5months.
  • beachlover317
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Try this and plug in your stats.
  • MrsEagle12
    MrsEagle12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where does the 1200 calorie intake of here come from then?
  • MrsEagle12
    MrsEagle12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    BTW Ive be religiously following 1200 for about 2 months and the weight is just falling off :) But I do feel hungry a lot of the time.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, and 5'2" and I go by TDEE method and my daily allowance is 1679. I exercise for at least an hour 6 days a week though - if I didn't I'd have to eat a lot less!