Running in pain

Options
Could anyone explain to me why running would cause me to have stomach pains? I don't believe it has anything to do with hunger. It is more of a pain. I wonder if it has anything to do with my breathing? But I don't know. I am running in my first 5K tomorrow and really want to be productive. However, the pain usually kicks in at about the first mile and lasts the rest of the day. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hello! Could be a number of things...are you drinking enough water? You need 8-10 glasses of water a day before your run and some before your run! Are they cramps? You could not be breathing right, when I first started running my husband noticed I held my breath! You need to constantly tell yourself breath in your nose our your mouth. How old are your shoes? Having good shoes really does define a run! You should change them every 300-400 miles! It's pretty often if you are a runner! I started out not being able to run a mile but with practice and lots of help I currently run half-marathons and after my baby, I plan to run the full!
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    P.S. I love dachshunds!!! I have a miniature one! :) (seeing from your photo)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Could it be a side stitch?

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/four-ways-stop-dreaded-side-stitch

Slowing down will help a lot.