Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    This episode from the HBO documentary series, (The Weight Of A Nation) gives the skinny on the situation many of us struggle with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

OMG.... OMG... This explains soooo much tooo meee. Thank you...Thank you...
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch later, thanks!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bumping to watch video from home
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch later...
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I believe that my metabolism may have been permanently altered and that it will forever be a struggle to maintain once I get there. I will never be the one that can eat anything and never get an ounce but never had been anyway! That's me and my life.
    Despite a study that said that I had 0% chance of successfully maintaining, I want my ticket to health and I will get it by exercising and developing a healthy lifestyle that includes calorie counting.
    Hope Mfp will remain on the net for the next 50 years 'cos I want to live that long! Being a healthy Mfp member aged 101!!! ;-D

Ouch! Typically, you will achieve what you believe, so if you believe you'll fail, you probably will. I highly recommend seeking a hypnotist who can help you change your beliefs to some that will benefit you and help you achieve your dream lifestyle rather than settling for something less.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Over a lifetime of losing probably around 500 ish pounds.. Losing 89 in 1987, losing 36 in 2011, and multiple random losses of various weights, at different times. Im great at losing!!!!! The maintaining sucks. This video explains just why it crept back on me multiple times. I was doing EVERYTHING the same, just increased 300-500 per day on the calorie front. And the last time I lost, at the end of losing, I started into my menopause time. Arrgh.

The video explains about your leptin level after losing weight. I was always told to lose weight, lower your intake, up your exercise, drink lots of water. When you get to goal.... now, do everything the same only increase your cals just a little bit. WRONG WRONG.

Thats the part the doctors in this study have researched. The leptin level in your body is now lower. It now takes even less daily calories, just to maintain. Dont increase once your at goal. Your body with the leptin and your hormones are now changed. Just a slight increase of 300 ish calories per day... Even thou your eating now 1500 per day.... Even that, can cause your weight to come back on....

A person who has always weighed about 150 lbs, and a person who lost 30 lbs and now weighs 150. The one who always weighed 150 eats higher to maintain that weight. Where the person who lost 30 & weighs 150, they have to eat less to maintain the same weight. Due to the readjustment of Leptin in the brain. Your brain wants to fight back to the same weight you were before... Very badly....

This explains why all my friends here, the ones who eat at such lower levels.. YES they are the ones who are maintaining the lower weight. The ones who eat at the same level, that had lost weight before, they are gaining weight eating the same calories!!! That encludes meee.

Notice my ticker. Its reset. To start all over again. My body/brain is wanting to resist and stay around the 160 ish lbs according to what the hormones and leptin level is. I would say Im making excuses.. Those doctors have done all the research for me. Thank you doctors. Where can I acquire some leptin, so my body and metabolism will be the same as it used to be before I lost any weight at all. I wonder.

Thanks for the video! I really appreciate this video... I really don't want to eat at 1200 to maintain.. I really don't. Whats this bull-pucky about people who can eat at 2000 per day and maintain? Its the people who HAVE NOT lost weight multiple times. And the people who spend 2-5 hrs per day working out I guess. I can promise 45 per day. Of purposeful intensional workouts. NOT counting how much time throughout my 24 hrs, that is spent with regular activities of daily living.

Did I understand that video right? I hope so. Thanks again. The losing is fine... The maintaining is the most difficult part. That is True!
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would like to know whether they also accounted for muscle mass lost because that is quite typical on drastic diets. And that would explain very nicely why two people at the same weight can have a different TDEE- if one has high and the other low muscle mass. And that means that you can increase your TDEE by doing strength training. I think the same is the case for the decrease in metabolism with age: it is muscle mass that is being lost naturally. So then maybe not all is lost. The study paints quite a bleak picture but it's important to remember that a lot of people have managed to maintain by having changed their lifestyle and kept it up.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Where can I acquire some leptin, so my body and metabolism will be the same as it used to be before I lost any weight at all. I wonder.

^^^THIS, juice me up with some Leptin!! :laugh:
  • retrotravelbug
    Options
    SOOOO helpful to understand why I'm like a robot muching on crap in the cupboard in the evenings after a great success in keeping my calories in check during the day (this is after me losing 40 pounds over a year). I was maintaining fine while I was tracking consistently. Xmas time last year relaxed for 2 weeks - big mistake - and my body and brain have been fighting with my willpower ever since. The last 5 pounds have become the last 10 pounds - no way, time to go back to tracking consistently at the lower level that works for me!

SOME ANSWERS .... WHERE TO GET LEPTIN?

Found some really helpful articles to find ways of increasing leptin (basically common sense LIFESTYLE changes - exercise, eat protein and fibre, avoid sugar, avoid eating late at night, sleep well, drink water, take Vit E and Zinc).

http://eas.com/training/manage-weight/the-last-5-pounds
    Recommends 40/40/20 diet with Vit E (400 in morn and 400 pre bed) and Zinc (5mg in morning and 5mg pre bed)
    Last meal is dinner at 8pm

http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Leptin
    Steps recommended to increase leptin levels:
    African mango seed extracts (250mg day)
    Lots of sleep
    Stop eating after 7pm
    Eat lots of fibre rich foods
    Exercise
    Eat regularly and properly
    Keep hydrated

Then read article: http://wellnessmama.com/5356/cravings-fix-your-leptin/
    - loads of helpful advice from the youtube video embedded in this article

Then there is one mainly aimed at the guys - but still makes sense for us ladies (again - sleep, short burst energy exercise help, plus the 'cheat day' theory):
    http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/leptin-the-secret-key-to-getting-shredded

Well, time for me to go back to tracking and not trusting my instinct, like others have said!! Because my "instinct" ruins my good work.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Very informative.

Coming to the realization that I'd never be "normal", like naturally thinner people, was something I resisted and fought HARD against for a long time. I was a person who became aware of my fatness very early and I never, ever felt comfortable overweight/obese; it always felt "wrong" to me. So it just didn't seem remotely fair that I'd never be like my counterparts, thin and seemingly able to eat however I want. When I regained my weight after the first successful weight loss journey one of the reasons I kept most of it on was a bitter refusal to accept the reality that I'd have to not only lose it again but find a way to maintain.

I finally accepted that I'd need to eat (and not eat) in a way that would strip the weight and help me maintain a lifestyle that is not only sustainable, but enjoyable. Just saying "I will need to watch myself for the rest of my life, and that's just my reality" was hugely freeing, finally. I now have experienced an initial hefty drop in weight, a year and a half of maintenance, and now I'm concluding the final chapters of the rest of the weight loss phase. I've learned that leading a generally lower carb life, coupled with intermittent fasting, and allowing myself a few splurges a month has become the perfect recipe for me. I love the way I'm eating, living, and losing, and the pace at which I'm doing it. I'm not longer terrified of maintaining weight loss.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch later. From reading the comments this sounds to be something I need to watch as a while back after losing 25 pounds in 6 months, by just eating a little more and worse foods but still exercising everyday, I gained back all 25 in 2 months. Thanks for posting :)
  • tonytedesco
    tonytedesco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great post and good to know. I have already accepted the fact that I will be counting calories for the rest of my life and not just while on a deficit. This re-affirms that decision.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump