Lower calories than expected!

Options
I finished logging my day and it turned out I used only 1000 calories.
Now, I follow with a nutritionist so I'm not the one choosing what to eat, though I'm using mfp for support and to track what I eat so I don't go crazy with my snacks and to try to only have 1 cheat meal per week.
I'll have the same thing everyday till next Thursday.
Also, I will go walking starting tomorrow which will make my net calories less than 1000.
Should I be worried?

Thanks.

Replies

• psych0kitty
    Options
    Yes. That is not enough calories unless you're very, very obese and have to drop weight fast before you die.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No one should be eating less than 1200 calories unless instructed to by a doctor. Try to eat at least 1200 and a little more on days you exercise :)
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try having a calorie dense snack, like nuts or peanut butter, or drink a glass of milk. The closer you are to your net calorie goal, the better.

ETA: There are a lot of other awesome calorie dense snacks, though I only listed nuts, for whatever reason. I tend to eat cheese and crackers when I need to eat more. Or an ice cream sammich. Because om nom nom.
  • sasouna
    sasouna Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm obese.
    I'm 5'7'' and 242 lbs.

I started last week and the numbers weren't that low. I even had to walk for 60-90 mins to even things a bit.
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1000/day is going to be fine only once in a great while, but definitely not a good idea as a daily goal. Talk to your nutrionist - unless there's a very specific reason like psych0kitty above me said, your nutrionist can make adjustments to make sure you're getting enough to properly fuel your body.
  • hermajestee
    hermajestee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are days when I have the same issue. I have to make certain to add snacks into my diet. I also added kidney beans to my salad just to increase the (healthy) calories I was taking in. I also do a cheat meal once per week where I don't go totally crazy, but I eat whatever I want in one sitting and have too much wine. My ticker doesn't work because I have gained 20lbs since I signed up for this 3 years ago - but since I've been back on & really on track, I am losing weight consistently.

But yes - it can be a challenge to get up to 1200 calories. Remember to add healthy calories though - not empty ones!

You can add me if you would like. I'm all about motivation & accountability!

Michelle
  • sasouna
    Options
    No one should be eating less than 1200 calories unless instructed to by a doctor. Try to eat at least 1200 and a little more on days you exercise :)

That's the thing.
    I'm not sure my nutritionist is calculating calories or it's a "chemical-diet" thing. (if that's what it's called) :)
    I have followed with him before and lost 21 kg in 6 months (which is a good rate, I think) but then gained them and some more when I stopped.
  • sasouna
    Options
    Try having a calorie dense snack, like nuts or peanut butter, or drink a glass of milk. The closer you are to your net calorie goal, the better.

ETA: There are a lot of other awesome calorie dense snacks, though I only listed nuts, for whatever reason. I tend to eat cheese and crackers when I need to eat more. Or an ice cream sammich. Because om nom nom.

IK,R? :)
    Well, I'm only allowed skimmed milk (and I don't like the oily texture of other kinds anyway) so that won't make a big difference in calorie count :(
  • sasouna
    Options
    1000/day is going to be fine only once in a great while, but definitely not a good idea as a daily goal. Talk to your nutrionist - unless there's a very specific reason like psych0kitty above me said, your nutrionist can make adjustments to make sure you're getting enough to properly fuel your body.

I'm hoping it's only for this week.
    I usually get more to eat.
    There are days when I have the same issue. I have to make certain to add snacks into my diet. I also added kidney beans to my salad just to increase the (healthy) calories I was taking in. I also do a cheat meal once per week where I don't go totally crazy, but I eat whatever I want in one sitting and have too much wine. My ticker doesn't work because I have gained 20lbs since I signed up for this 3 years ago - but since I've been back on & really on track, I am losing weight consistently.

But yes - it can be a challenge to get up to 1200 calories. Remember to add healthy calories though - not empty ones!

You can add me if you would like. I'm all about motivation & accountability!

Michelle

All right :) Add coming your way ;)
    We can do this. :flowerforyou:

Thanks to all of you.
    I think I'll stick to it this week and then see what happens at my weigh-in next Thursday.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    2lsb9l5.jpg

....because....ICE CREAM!! :bigsmile:
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    2lsb9l5.jpg

^Om nom nom!
  • sasouna
    Options
    2lsb9l5.jpg

:love: That is not such a bad idea! :glasses:
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    What that picture doesn't show is me off to the left at the end of the line with my mouth wide open catching them all. lol
  • sasouna
    Options
    What that picture doesn't show is me off to the left at the end of the line with my mouth wide open catching them all. lol

:laugh:
    Not if I get there first! :bigsmile:
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    being that it is your first week, you will definitely lose weight on that 1000 calories, but that is not the healthy and long term way to go about it. You shouldn't be on a diet, but a healthy eating and exercise plan, so that you are able to lose weight successfully and it will be easier to maintain once you get to your goal weight.

You may also add me for motivation and support, if you would like.
    Nedra
  • sasouna
    Options
    being that it is your first week, you will definitely lose weight on that 1000 calories, but that is not the healthy and long term way to go about it. You shouldn't be on a diet, but a healthy eating and exercise plan, so that you are able to lose weight successfully and it will be easier to maintain once you get to your goal weight.

You may also add me for motivation and support, if you would like.
    Nedra

Thanks, Nedra.
    Today was the beginning of my second week actually, but I haven't had a weigh-in as my nutritionist was on vacation for a few days.
    I find it hard to do this on my own, so I started again going to my nutritionist and joined this site where I found support. :)
    I have a long way to go, and logging what my nutritionist gives me, made me realize how much I was eating and a better sense of what food contained high calories, that I hope will maintain monitoring after I lose some of this weight.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people say their nutritionalist and or doctor is recommending these very low calorie changes in their diet. I'm really concerned and would like to know why these people, with degrees seem to think it is OKAY to put people through this kind of torture? ((I use that term loosely but you get what I'm saying)) There is no reason to go that low! Do they not know how to find each persons BMR and then their TDEE? I'm confused... why are doctors and people that have degrees taking people's calorie counts so low?
  • sasouna
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people say their nutritionalist and or doctor is recommending these very low calorie changes in their diet. I'm really concerned and would like to know why these people, with degrees seem to think it is OKAY to put people through this kind of torture? ((I use that term loosely but you get what I'm saying)) There is no reason to go that low! Do they not know how to find each persons BMR and then their TDEE? I'm confused... why are doctors and people that have degrees taking people's calorie counts so low?

Well, he usually gives me more to eat but this is only my second week of logging, so I never had sense of how many calories I was getting in and not out.
    May be it's just this week because he know I was going to have a cheat day? (We had a feast last week).
    I'm an emotional eater and things aren't really going good in my life, so I'm trying to stick with this diet until I get a better sense of calorie count and can continue to live healthy on my own. Someday...
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Nobody should eat that little, period. If the deficit needs to be bigger, you exercise. You do not cut out extra micronutrients!
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Well, he usually gives me more to eat but this is only my second week of logging, so I never had sense of how many calories I was getting in and not out.
    May be it's just this week because he know I was going to have a cheat day? (We had a feast last week).
    I'm an emotional eater and things aren't really going good in my life, so I'm trying to stick with this diet until I get a better sense of calorie count and can continue to live healthy on my own. Someday...

I would say that eating what you're eating, he actually sets you up for a binge because you're starving. And that isn't very productive for weightloss either.