Anyone willing to go cold-turkey off soda with me?

Options
I have a very big addiction to soda. Embarrassingly dependent. I've tried in the past weaning myself slowly, or cutting back but somehow I always end up back here. I currently drink several per day, none of which are diet. I need to stop. I quit MFP months ago, sole-y from cheating with soda all the time.

To motivate myself I am rewarding myself with an Ipad Mini after 60 days 'clean'. Yes, a big reward, but I was going to get one anyway. Only I'm not permitting myself to purchase until get my soda intake under control.

Who's with me? Who wants to join me for a fabulous migraine and cold-sweats party? ;-)

Replies

• runningvegan
    Options
    I stopped drinking caffeine cold turkey 10 days ago. The headache lasted for 2 days. I was drinking 4 cups of coffee a day and at least one 20 oz Diet Coke. I still crave it ALL THE TIME, but I definitely see improvement. I'm much more alert during the day. The tired haze that my brain has been in for years is lifting. Yay! After the first few days, the thought of screwing up my streak has been enough to keep me from grabbing a coffee.
  • jnwalker511
    jnwalker511 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda when I found out I had diabetes. Once you stop you really do not even miss it. It will be hard the first few weeks but definitely worth it in the end. That's great that you want to give it up. Good luck with this!!!
  • Quiette
    Options
    I stopped drinking caffeine cold turkey 10 days ago. The headache lasted for 2 days. I was drinking 4 cups of coffee a day and at least one 20 oz Diet Coke. I still crave it ALL THE TIME, but I definitely see improvement. I'm much more alert during the day. The tired haze that my brain has been in for years is lifting. Yay! After the first few days, the thought of screwing up my streak has been enough to keep me from grabbing a coffee.

You know, I've been considering seeing a doctor about a "haze" I've been in for a couple years. Foggy feeling, disconnected, mindless at times. I wonder how much of it is soda/caffeine related.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I want some cold turkey now. :sad:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You see I would but the way my bank account is set up, with the checking and savings and I just bought a 24 pack of Pepsi max on Monday...
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    changed my mind I was being mean. good luck OP!
  • LaMaisonJeka
    Options
    I stopped 2 years ago and never looked back! Shakeology helped a great deal with the soda and icecream cravings. I was a crazy icecream binger. :/ I just got my sister on Shakeology too because she has a really bad smoking and soda habit, Im talking 2 liters a day. yikes! Feel free to add me as a friend. You can kick that habit, you got this!
  • Aquabird
    Aquabird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I lapsed again and again when I first tried cutting out soda. I finally I realized that I really just wanted the fizzy taste from soda more than anything else (especially with certain meals). What worked for me was using Canfield's seltzer water (I used both the plain--sometimes adding lemon or cranberry juice--and the orange flavored one) to transition. Since it's just water and CO2, it gives the fizzy without the bad stuff. If you get a monster craving for soda, you could try that to satisfy the craving without fully relapsing. :)
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda, and I am cheering you on! You won't regret this!!
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I quit 86 days ago and haven't missed it. I'd be more than happy to be supportive of you. I did have 4oz last night and it didn't even taste good (that was the only choice being given and I had to wash the pizza down). It's amazing how much better I feel and how much more energy I have.

Best of luck to you.
  • lorbixby
    Options
    I gave up soda when I was 19; that is 18 years ago. I do not miss it at all! You can do this!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I would if I drank soda.
    Hang in there, you can do this.
    Every once in awhile, I think just a sip or two of coke sounds good.
    OMG nasty just feel like I have sugar coated teeth.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would but I gave up all soda drinks 91 days ago. I did suffer from withdrawal for about a week or so but it got easier and now I can't say I miss it. Good luck, it will be a challenge to start with but hang in there. x
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fairly casual drinker of soda (e.g. usually when I go out to eat, but never at home), and, in the past, I've always opted for the sugary versions.

Within the last few weeks, I've tried a few sugar-free varieties that I happen to think are ok (e.g. Coke Zero, Diet Mountain Dew, Diet A&W root beer). I can certainly do without them, but the variety is nice, and they taste much better than I expected.

I'm certainly not going to tell you that it's not a good thing to kick the habit, but if your main concern was calories, you may want to check them out.

(I imagine that I missed something in your post, however, since I doubt you haven't tried the SF varieties.)

In any event, good luck in your goals!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No thanks.
  • bvincentelp
    bvincentelp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No soda or alcohol for me, been about 4 months and not missing it.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Start by replacing half of them with flavored water. Sparkling Ice makes some great flavors. Then, gradually increase the water over soda until you are only drinking water. Have not had soda since January. You can do it.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I could never give up soda. I switched to diet sodas (starting with fruit-flavored diet sodas) back in the early 90s, and never looked back. Now when I accidentally take a sip of "real" soda, it tastes nasty. Diet soda is the bee's knees. :drinker:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Grew up on soda/"juice"/kool aid; water was a rarity. Went cold turkey off the stuff over 10 years ago, and have drunk water 95% of the time ever since. My SKIN and my teeth thanked me profusely, as did my overall feeling of well being.

Just wanted to say that I made the transition, and I am cheering you on!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    But what will I wash down my pizza with? :sad: