Where to get a lot of protein

Options

Replies

• recovery114
    Options
    Fage 0%. I live on it now im no longer vegan its heaven!
    97 calories = 170g tub = 18g protein! and no fat and only 6g carbs!!!
  • Foodorlife
    Foodorlife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    eat chickens. A lot of them

Thanks! I just looked and 500 g of chicken is 103 g of protein. Yaaay :)
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Shrimp
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    14 of the 15 listed proteins in the program are not protein powder. Good luck, with 14 options you ought to be fine.
  • recovery114
    Options
  • Foodorlife
    Options

ETA: People need to stop saying that nuts/nut butters and beans are good sources of protein ... They are sources of protein, yes, but gram for gram, nuts are more of a fat source, and gram for gram, beans are more of a carbohydrate source ...

Yes, they are super fattening and plus I can't handle nut butter.
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    14 of the 15 listed proteins in the program are not protein powder. Good luck, with 14 options you ought to be fine.

I'm aware :happy:
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Curious about Fage - can you get it organically made? also -- is it gluten free?
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Go to Costco and pick up some "Premier Nutrition" protein shakes. 30 grams of whey protein per shake, along with 3 grams of fiber and only 1 gram of sugar. You get 18 in a box for 24 bucks. Great way to get your protein!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

ETA: People need to stop saying that nuts/nut butters and beans are good sources of protein ... They are sources of protein, yes, but gram for gram, nuts are more of a fat source, and gram for gram, beans are more of a carbohydrate source ...

Yes, they are super fattening and plus I can't handle nut butter.

Not all nut butter is fattening and sometimes it just takes a little practice to handle the nut butter properly.
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein powder. It really helps me get all of my protein in for the day while staying under my calorie goal.
  • Kennesaw24
    Options
    I grew up with people saying that protein powders are MSG, they will cause hormonal disbalance, facial hair,cancer etc...

I know, don't laugh at me, it's different mentality :bigsmile:

We're not laughing at you at all. But we ARE saying that that information is wrong. Just because a myth was perpetuated earlier in your life doesn't mean you have to honor that myth forever. Do your own research and make use of the tools that are available to you.
  • Kennesaw24
    Options
    Fage 0%. I live on it now im no longer vegan its heaven!
    97 calories = 170g tub = 18g protein! and no fat and only 6g carbs!!!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I know you are trying to follow a program, but using percentages is not always appropriate. 188g/d is a lot assuming you are female (conclusion from name and 1500cal/d). For a trained person, protein targets between 1.25-2g/lean pound body mass are not unheard of. That suggestion drops to 0.6-1 g/lbm for an untrained person. It is okay to try the program with a little less if this is a struggle for you. Losing 50kg will take some time, so a few extra weeks experimenting is not the end of the world if it helps you figure out what works best for you.

As for the initial question, go for whatever natural meat source you like and can afford. Its not that difficult after a while, but it will take some effort on your part. I eat 190g or so daily. There will be an adjustment phase to the new plan at the start.
  • Kennesaw24
    Options
    Go to Costco and pick up some "Premier Nutrition" protein shakes. 30 grams of whey protein per shake, along with 3 grams of fiber and only 1 gram of sugar. You get 18 in a box for 24 bucks. Great way to get your protein!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    188 g!! That's a lot, are you training for a body building competition???
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Yes to egg whites. Break Free have no added oil

Your best friend in the whole world.
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    I know you are trying to follow a program, but using percentages is not always appropriate. 188g/d is a lot assuming you are female (conclusion from name and 1500cal/d). For a trained person, protein targets between 1.25-2g/lean pound body mass are not unheard of. That suggestion drops to 0.6-1 g/lbm for an untrained person. It is okay to try the program with a little less if this is a struggle for you. Losing 50kg will take some time, so a few extra weeks experimenting is not the end of the world if it helps you figure out what works best for you.

As for the initial question, go for whatever natural meat source you like and can afford. Its not that difficult after a while, but it will take some effort on your part. I eat 190g or so daily. There will be an adjustment phase to the new plan at the start.

Do you think I should start with 40% instead of 50?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    egg whites nuff said
    This.

My new hero.
  • Foodorlife
    Options
    188 g!! That's a lot, are you training for a body building competition???
    No...but when I put my daily calorie goal and 50% of protein equals to 188..

I'm 260 pounds(roughly), 115 kg.