What food has been ruined for you? (Slightly gross)

Options
Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
So I was in Thailand a month or so ago and my partner and I went for this HUGE sushi meal at a shopping centre. It was delicious and we ate a heap. Problem was, when we got back to the hotel we both got extremely ill. It was bad enough that we basically lost a whole day of our trip.

Normally I have an iron stomach and can eat almost anything without getting sick, so this was pretty unusual for me. Anyway since I've gotten back I've noticed I cannot stand the sight, smell or concept of ANY form of sushi. I normally love the stuff but now it just makes me think of lying huddled on the floor of a Bangkok bathroom and wanting to die, and only Asian beer should do that.

So has a food been ruined for you, by getting ill/associating it with a bad person or place etc?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    calf brains. Frickin' disgusting.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    My mum cooked me lamb brains once. I thought the were ok once you got over the idea.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    sure sounds like food aversion to moi !
  • Mutant13
    Options
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I tried Durian Fruit once, smells and tastes like the devil's *kitten*!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Chili dogs. For pretty much the same reason as OP--got really sick, in a hotel room at some lodge that had no bathroom, just a sink. I was a kid, and haven't been able to eat them since. Awful memories.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Apple juice -- same reason -- got sick right after drinking it, and can't drink it anymore.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bananas
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    reese's peanut butter cups...I got so sick after eating one once that I haven't been able to eat them since
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    The tops and bottoms of bananas...as a kid my friend told me when they are on the trees that bat poops get in them. I know logically that's not true but I can't get passed it.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda the opposite on the apple juice. I used to couldn't stand even the smell of it. One day at a friend's house, as they were serving apple juice, it came to me out of the blue - when I was a kid I was in and out of the hospital with asthma (I don't remember this) and so I called my mom and asked if they had given me a lot of apple juice in hospital. She said Oh probably. Ever since then, now that I know why, I can drink it just fine!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Crab ravioli. My aversion is kind of unfair -- it happened the way yours did, but it's misdirected. I ate some delicious (unwashed) cherries from a roadside fruit stand, went for a hike, got back home, and started dinner. I cooked crab ravioli. I had one bite of it, then ran into the bathroom and threw up everything in my body that hadn't been factory-installed.

Intellectually I know the problem was the cherries; they had e.coli or something on them. But you put a plate of cherries in front of me and I can (and will) eat the whole thing, after washing it very very well. However, if you show me a picture of ravioli and tell me it has crab in it, I have to look away. My gag reflex is superstitious.
  • MooAsh
    MooAsh Posts: 33
    Options
    Any meat product that has "mechanically separated chicken/beef/pork/turkey/whatever" meat listed in the ingredients. I just can't bring myself to eat it since I watched a video on how they separate it. Ugh. Blech!

BUT. I probably eat it in stuff that I haven't read the ingredients on.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    chicken heart

Chicken hearts are amazing.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    reese's peanut butter cups...I got so sick after eating one once that I haven't been able to eat them since

You poor thing.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Omelettes
    Rice cakes
    Chicken breast
    Tilapia
    Cottage cheese
    Natural peanut butter
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and cheese... got sick from it in 5th grade, and even now, I can't stand the sight or smell of it...and that was 25 years ago!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    eggs :cry:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the mere smell, let alone the taste, of cinnamon for about 8 years after a horrifying hangover from some type of cinnamon flavored liquor. I just recently started having it again in my morning coffee this year.