Boredom During Cardio

Options
I often get bored while using the elliptical. So bored that I stare at the TVs and read the marquee on the bottom until it runs through its cycle a couple times. That is WITH music in my ear buds. Today I decided I'd utilize the Nook app on my phone. I made the text as big as I could so I could see it from the ledge on the elliptical. It worked great! I was actually wanting to keep going just so I could continue reading. I maintained my target heart rate for more of the session than ever, and added 5 minutes twice. Just wanted to share this tip :) Good luck everyone at reaching your goals!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Audio books!
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill or elliptical, I like to watch all the movies I've been collecting on the DVR and forgetting about (kill two birds with one stone so to speak.) It keep my brain occupied long enough that I can (sometimes) forget that I'm exercising.

Listening to my music only goes so far as a distraction - most of my workout music makes me want to dance.

Dance + treadmill = bad idea. I'd probably launch myself off it...again... :embarassed:
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I can't read on an elliptical... too much movement, but audio books and podcasts are the way to go.
  • drunktimtebow
    Options
    I often listen to music (either turn my computer way up, or Pandora on my phone) while on the treadmill, but sometimes it isn't quite enough to undo the boredom.

For times like those, I just watch some of my favorite YouTube channels. It's hard to believe how time can fly if you're laughing at something half the time.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Get of the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I often listen to music (either turn my computer way up, or Pandora on my phone) while on the treadmill, but sometimes it isn't quite enough to undo the boredom.

For times like those, I just watch some of my favorite YouTube channels. It's hard to believe how time can fly if you're laughing at something half the time.

completely unrelated but GO VIKES! SKOL!!! lol had to..
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    The elliptical is boring for me in general, even though I know I can burn massive calories on it. I only have fun on the treadmill with my music blaring.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Better music.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    less cardio, more lifting..

serious question - how do you read while doing cardio and follow the story?
  • katygraceking
    katygraceking Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is the Nook app?
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have tried the treadmill and elliptical and I just.. can't do it. Even with music, tv, etc I will be bored to tears about 5 minutes in. Last time I was on the treadmill a few weeks ago I just forced myself through it. I hated it though.

I have also tried workout cardio DVD programs (P90X, Zumba, Insanity, 10 Minute Trainer, etc) and while the routines are varied and intense, I still get bored doing repetitive moves.

So I took a break from cardio and did weight lifting exclusively. It's better, but I feel like a healthy mix of both is necessary.

So... I dusted off my PS2 console, bought some dance pads for an old school game called Dance Dance Revolution, and now I have trouble STOPPING my cardio!

Workout video games are great. I can only speak for DDR but the fast paced songs have me literally dripping sweat by the time my hour is up. Sometimes I will go 90+ minutes without realizing it. There's different modes of play (including Workout Mode, but I think the calories it estimates are too high so I only log around 60-70% of what the game tells me I burned), many varieties of songs, and the game has been out so long it's relatively inexpensive to get started.

Warning: Not for people who aren't into dorky electronic music from the early 2000's sprinkled with Jpop. Also not for people who are self conscious about their spasmy T-Rex arms flailing everywhere. But it IS for this kid:

http://youtu.be/6JzcqALklRs
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    When I'm stuck inside on the treadmill I have my IPod of course, but downloaded some teachings that I've never heard before. Sometimes also however I'd move the treadmill towards the T.V and watch HGTV...lol.. I love that show!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    less cardio, more lifting..

serious question - how do you read while doing cardio and follow the story?

I prefer to read on a recumbent bike. It's moderate exercise, but mostly it means that instead of sitting for an hour while I read, I'm moving.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I read Kindle on a 7" tablet and definitely look forward to it, then audio books on my phone to my Bluetooth headset when I run. It makes exercising fun for me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I read on my Kindle with the text bigger, watch TED talks to nourish my brain, or catch up on series I never got around to watching on Netflix. Mostly I do read though as I have a rather large reading goal for the year and this kills two birds with one stone.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'll usually facebook or message people on my phone. Sometimes I'll watch the TV or read on my kindle.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I re-vamped my playlist with only songs that I love and only listen to it while I'm on the treadmill. If I want to hear a song, I have to keep walking. It's like a treadmill/music reward system.

I also get bored while I do cardio, so I challenge myself and try to beat previous bests. One more calorie than the last time. One more mile, one more minute than the last time. I get my best results when I try to out-do my previous highest whatever it is.

I also love to watch sitcoms while I work out. Fast forward through commercials and you can watch 2 30-minute shows in about 35-40 minutes. As someone above me said, 2 birds, 1 stone.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    How on earth do people read while working out? LOL

I reckon if you can still read (my head wobbles all over the place) your METS aren't high enough! Why not just work out harder, finish earlier, and relax afterwards with the kindle???

Anyway... back on topic... I get bored with steady state cardio so I do intervals. That way something is changing within the next minute anyway.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Get of the machines and into nature if you can... Most of us spend too many hours staring at 4 walls or electronic devices... I love hitting the road and running or hiking...

I honestly hate the outdoors and can walk for four times as long on a treadmill as I can outside. I like having controlled weather, temperature, interactions with animals and other humans, etc. Different strokes for different folks. *shrug*