Noob wanting to get huge muscles with exercise!!!!!

Options
Hi All,

Im a 20 year old , 6" 3' and reasonably fit.

I want to join the cops in 3 - 4 months and want to build muscle mass and get huge muscles. The problem is... I have no idea how or where to start? I enjoy cardio and running (I ran my first full marathon 3 weeks ago) but I don't want to be the lanky dude who can run but not put cuffs on a guy!! I have a bit of belly fat (wouldn't say I'm skinny but wouldn't say I'm obese)

I'm about 95 Kg and 6"3'

My questions are.

1. Can you help me?

2. Where do I start

3. What do I eat? (specifics please)

4. Any supplements I need to take?

5. What are some good websites I can get info from

6. What do I need to buy

7. And what excerices should I start doing?

and 8. Is it possible to get to a good size in 3 - 4 months If I started now?!?!?!

My brother is (ironically) a bodybuilder but I don't really want to ask him. (People with older brothers will know why)

Today is the day I start excersing

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Short answers -
    Base your routine around bench, OHP, squat, deads and rows.
    Eat. Eat some more. I like high protein, decent carbs.
    If you are just starting, you don't need supplements.
    Things to buy - don't worry about it yet, outside of a gym membership of course.

And time, it will take time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    first joining any police force or state trooper academy and having big muscles is kind of not a great idea.

It's just going to slow you down.

not sure where you get this notion from but it's not really the best- you run- A LOT. You ever see a body builder running?
    1. Can you help me?
    yes- but you can help yourself too
    2. Where do I start
    here- and google
    food.
    lots
    and lots
    of food.
    no- protein at best
    what are you five? google
    Strong lifts
    Starting Strength
    new rules of lifting
    6. What do I need to buy
    a gym membership
    OMG GOOGLE
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Pull Ups
    push ups
    Burpees
    and 8. Is it possible to get to a good size in 3 - 4 months If I started now?!?!?! [/qoute]
    No.
    you vastly underestimate how long it takes to build muscle. Yes you'll see gains- but you aren't going to get huge- my friend took 10 months training for his BBing comp and he lifted 2x a day and had a professional coach.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    first joining any police force or state trooper academy and having big muscles is kind of not a great idea.

not sure where you get this notion from but it's not really the best- you run- A LOT. You ever see a body builder running?
    1. Can you help me?
    yes- but you can help yourself too
    2. Where do I start
    here- and google
    Yup, I think that covers most, if not all of it. :drinker:
    food.
    lots
    and lots
    of food.
    no- protein at best
    what are you five? google
    Strong lifts
    Starting Strength
    new rules of lifting
    6. What do I need to buy
    a gym membership
    OMG GOOGLE
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Pull Ups
    push ups
    Burpees
    and 8. Is it possible to get to a good size in 3 - 4 months If I started now?!?!?! [/qoute]
    No.
    you vastly underestimate how long it takes to build muscle. Yes you'll see gains- but you aren't going to get huge- my friend took 10 months training for his BBing comp and he lifted 2x a day and had a professional coach.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

huh?

ETA: Completely unrelated, LuluChick looks veddy, veddy familiar....
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    All the cops near me are the ones dealing gear ( not kidding)...don't go that route though.

Hypertrophy workout, lotsa food, and time.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Hang in there with this site ,you will find nice people that won't just point to Google .heck why come on this site at all if that's the answer
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Hang in there with this site ,you will find nice people that won't just point to Google .heck why come on this site at all if that's the answer
    okkkkkk then.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

huh?

ETA: Completely unrelated, LuluChick looks veddy, veddy familiar....

I'm not saying it's not possible to build muscles AND run- but you do a lot more running at any academy than lifting. That's all. My friend was huge when he went to state trooper academy- and he has probably lost 20 lbs of muscle since he went there.
  • DavPul
    Options

while i'm sure the OP appreciates your valuable contribution, his questions have already been addressed. and when a person has 20 questions in their OP, google, or a book, are going to be their best resource.
  • Cranquistador
    Options

while i'm sure the OP appreciates your valuable contribution, his questions have already been addressed. and when a person has 20 questions in their OP, google, or a book, are going to be their best resource.

lol, right?

not that he was told "just google it" anyway...the person who suggested google also gave a lot of other answers and told him to google the exercises she listed.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Whereas, your answer was far more enlightening... :noway:

1. Eat more food than you burn

2. Do heavy progressive lifting focussing on squats, deads, ohp, bench (Stronglifts or starting strength if you are more of a beginner. There are other programs if you are a more experienced lifter.) Focus on form before weight. You don't want to injure yourself before joining up.

3. some high intensity cardio to improve cardiovascular health

4. Sleep well

5. Gets plenty of protein to build the muscles (aim for about 200g)

6. Eat lots of nutrient rich foods to help with your overall health and recovery from exercise.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    This day in age you would need to be living under a rock to not know Google is an option. I'm not a MFP expert but venture to say you come here to get a more direct answer and maybe actually find people with similar interest . Sorry if I offended the gods of this site .
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Whereas, your answer was far more enlightening... :noway:

1. Eat more food than you burn

2. Do heavy progressive lifting focussing on squats, deads, ohp, bench (Stronglifts or starting strength if you are more of a beginner. There are other programs if you are a more experienced lifter.) Focus on form before weight. You don't want to injure yourself before joining up.

3. some high intensity cardio to improve cardiovascular health

4. Sleep well

5. Gets plenty of protein to build the muscles (aim for about 200g)

6. Eat lots of nutrient rich foods to help with your overall health and recovery from exercise.

This right here. I'd also recommend getting a trainer at a gym to give you a tour and a couple lessons on form. Free weights are preferable over machines. Instead of focusing on bodybuilding, aim for strength. They are not synonymous.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    This day in age you would need to be living under a rock to not know Google is an option. I'm not a MFP expert but venture to say you come here to get a more direct answer and maybe actually find people with similar interest . Sorry if I offended the gods of this site .
    scarlett-flounces-out-o.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZ4zicrVPrgEtJvp5lWcBufU47QlzCu54fqiPZLotVEBvlt1Ns
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Apology accepted.
  • DavPul
    Options

Apology noted. We forgive you. Run along now. Bzzzz. Bzzzzz

iUbJ0AD.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    flounce2.jpg
  • wjimenez10869
    Options

Apology accepted.
    :laugh:
    bowing-down1.jpg
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com. There are a lot of different programs there. You might look at the ALLPRO Beginner program, there is a huge forum there,

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

and for nutrition:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Mike