the vacation

Options
well, i come seeking support and advice. this is day ten of my london/paris vacation. london wasn't so bad. i could explain what i wanted for meals far more easily. paris, not so much. i tried asking for dressing on the side...didn't get it. so rather than be rude...i ate what i could. also, dinner out has been pretty extravagent. i ate lots of fish...but not void of sauces and oil (though i tried to convey plain, no sauce). i limited bread to a half piece. i avoided desserts for the most part and have been walking a lot. breakfast has been a late continental breakfast where i would eat some yogurt and a portion of french bread with a little jam. no lunch.

i haven't been able to weigh myself. my jeans seem to fit okay (by only true telling of my weight at this point). i know i've gained though. there is no way not to have gained...my meals are such a far departure from my 1200-1400 typically eating style. the only saving grace is the fact i have been moving my body (which i don't really do at home). this is whiny post, i guess. but i am going to have to face the scale come monday morning....any words of wisdom?

Replies

• karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation.

i am. but you hate to undo what you have worked hard for--weight loss/maintenance. i guess, it will give me the challenge of losing those few pounds again. sigh. this time, i plan to join a gym (that was always the plan post-vacation).
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Honestly it sounds like you could relax just a wee bit more. I'm not advocating going nuts but you're in Paris! Have some cheese and wine and pastries. One or two relaxed meals won't hurt you, especially if you're moving a lot.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation, and take a deep breath and face Monday when it comes. Even give yourself Monday just to adjust to being home, and once you are unpacked, laundry done, mail sorted, and groceries restocked, get back to your routine.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation.
    QFT. /thread
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! Either way, you will have to exercise when you get home. Do you want to be thinking about what you should have eaten on this great trip, or have memories of how good it was? Don't know if you are a usual global traveler, or if this is a Once In A Lifetime Trip. If OLT, go for it. I read and cooked through both of Julia Child's Mastering the apart of French Cooking, and you are missing some incredible food that has been perfected over many generations. JMO

If you came down to New Orleans, would you eat salads every meal?
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation.
    QFT. /thread

Agreed! Enjoy your holiday and enjoy your food.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this is another vote to enjoy yourself and let go!!! IMO, most of the weight gained on holiday is water anyway - that is what I find. Holidays are a time to relax and unplug from the world. I'm not advocating going bananas and eating pie and chips with every meal, but the change in food is a vital part of the holiday. it's all about becoming immersed in the culture of the country that you visit. Otherwise, we would all stay at home and just not go out!

You only have a few days left. Enjoy Paris - you don't go every week. The scales will still be there whatever you do, and you can deal with that when you get home.....
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eat the cheese girl.. LOL

Last summer I went to Florida drove there with 4 kids. Took forever constant bathroom breaks ehh.. LOL had to eat fast food and I admit drank more soda than I should have. At least now I know next time I will stick to water only. Im much better at drink water or tea. You learn as you go. I got home after 10 days I was up 7 or 8 lbs. We ate out quite a bit and some not so healthy foods. It was mostly water weight. I started on drinking water and I was down about 5lbs. While I did gain weight 3 or 4 lbs isnt that bad I was able to lose it quickly.

I say do it. I always assume I will gain a few lbs on vacation. Its not that bad it only takes a few weeks to get back to where I was pre vacation.

You only have a few days left enjoy a few more meals then get back and worry about it. It may also be a lot of water weight.. Thats an easy fix. A few lbs is nothing if the trade off is an awesome vacation.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    thank you for all your encouraging replies. I did eat and enjoy. i tried to be somewhat careful, but as I said in my initial post, you really can't totally control dining out everyday--especially when you don't know the food or language. anyway...9 hour flight back--arrived home yesterday. weighed this morning. it was up by about 1.5 pounds than what i have been averaging prior to the trip. Definitely the highest weight i've seen in a couple months. But I am hoping to get back on track (also my TOM and maybe some is just water retention). I don't count on that, however.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gaining only 1.5 lb while on vacations over there is amazing. You'll lose it in no time.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs.. water weight... sounds like you worried about nothing and possibly lost out on some enjoyment during your vacation.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    well, I did my share of eating and drinking. but, I am back on track....ate below maintenance today.