How do you plan to handle the holidays?

Options

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'll be on a two-week vacation including a family reunion over the Christmas/New Year holidays... I will have worked too hard to make my min goal at that point to throw it out the window with overeating! My usual exercise is swimming. I may not be able to do that every day as we are staying with family part of the time, so I plan to walk A LOT. I figure if I can walk for at least an hour & eat a light breakfast & lunch should be able to indulge a little for dinner. My goal is to not gain any weight and come back weighing the same as when I left - that will be a victory in my eyes. Then I'll hit it hard when I get back home and continue on the meet my next goals!

ETA - I only buy candy I don't like for trick-or-treaters (for me that's Almond Joy, Mounds, & Snickers...)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    well i start with a drink...early in the afternoon it will likely be a dirty martini. as i sip on that and enjoy it, we'll start to get the cheese and crackers ready, and my wife will get going on the spinach artichoke dip. shoot....i need another drink. this will go on throughout the afternoon as we enjoy hanging out in our pajamas watching a horror movie marathon. sometime around 3 the turkey (laticed in bacon) will be ready, and we'll crack open the wine. at this point, my wife and i differ....she's a jarred gravy girl, and im a drippings and wondra kinda guy, so i'll make my gravy while she opens hers. load up the plates and wine glasses (milk for junior) and feast on bird, potatoes, squash, cranberry sauce, stuffing, green beans, crescent rolls and cheddar bacon biscuits. now that we've hit the wine, we'll stick to it until dessert. whew! got through 2 plates...its best to load the dishwasher now, because i sure as hell aint gonna do it later. dishes in the dishwasher means it must be time for pie, and ice cream, and cookies. well that goes really well with irish coffee, so maybe ill make one of those. i might wander in to the kitchen shortly thereafter and start to pick like a vulture at the carcass. this is an indicator that its time for a sandwich. out comes the bread and mayo so i can load up a thanksgiving sub. wash that down with another glass of wine.....head up stairs and make sweet sweet love to my woman like 2 polar bears wrestling in slow motion. pass out, belching and farting out the days festivities while dreaming of turkey omeletts in the morning.

thats typically how i handle thanksgiving.

I got lost reading this. Sounds like the best day ever. Except for the jarred gravy (no offense to your wife who is surely awesome)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    well i start with a drink...early in the afternoon it will likely be a dirty martini. as i sip on that and enjoy it, we'll start to get the cheese and crackers ready, and my wife will get going on the spinach artichoke dip. shoot....i need another drink. this will go on throughout the afternoon as we enjoy hanging out in our pajamas watching a horror movie marathon. sometime around 3 the turkey (laticed in bacon) will be ready, and we'll crack open the wine. at this point, my wife and i differ....she's a jarred gravy girl, and im a drippings and wondra kinda guy, so i'll make my gravy while she opens hers. load up the plates and wine glasses (milk for junior) and feast on bird, potatoes, squash, cranberry sauce, stuffing, green beans, crescent rolls and cheddar bacon biscuits. now that we've hit the wine, we'll stick to it until dessert. whew! got through 2 plates...its best to load the dishwasher now, because i sure as hell aint gonna do it later. dishes in the dishwasher means it must be time for pie, and ice cream, and cookies. well that goes really well with irish coffee, so maybe ill make one of those. i might wander in to the kitchen shortly thereafter and start to pick like a vulture at the carcass. this is an indicator that its time for a sandwich. out comes the bread and mayo so i can load up a thanksgiving sub. wash that down with another glass of wine.....head up stairs and make sweet sweet love to my woman like 2 polar bears wrestling in slow motion. pass out, belching and farting out the days festivities while dreaming of turkey omeletts in the morning.

thats typically how i handle thanksgiving.

ETA: TL;DR - i eat all the food and drink all the booze.

you and your wife are adopting me
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Eat, Drink and be merry within reason!

THIS! I haven't snuck any Halloween candy at all! I think part of the reason is that we put 3-4 pieces in a bag and staple it shut. Do I really want to open some little kid's candy bag to steal a piece? Uh,no, I don't! And I haven't had any cravings for candy, anyway, so I'm good.

I'm lucky with the holidays - my husband is a chef and he knows what I like to/don't like to eat. He's always very careful to make sure there's plenty for me, too - he avoids salt, sugar and fat as much as he can - and if he does use any of it, he'll tell me how much or make a special "low-cal" version for me. That being said - we'll see how this year goes!!!!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Holidays use to be a big, big problem for me, like most. This year I plan to indulge because I now eat in a way that allows me to, and still lose, but if you have any control issues you might need to find alternatives.

I LOST weight during the Halloween/Thanksgiving/ Christmas season in 2011/early 2012 (I'm a huge Christmas nut who celebrates for a month and a half). That was a big deal for me because I just love all the goodies associated with that season.

I did so by picking out three or four choice foods that satisfied my seasonal holiday cravings, but did so in a way that aided my weight goals. I was strictly low carb at the time, so I used low carb treats. For me having canned pumpkin on hand that I could season, and sweeten with artificial sweeteners, was a huge help. I also brought the entire line of DaVinci holiday sugar free/low calorie flavored syrups, which were a true lifesaver. I could add them to coffees, teas, plain yogurt, cream cheese based desserts, pumpkin, and drizzle over nuts, which all gave the taste of the holidays while sticking within plan. Worked wonders and I didn't' feel deprived. If you're not low carbing or watching your sugar, just find the equivalent low calorie and/or low fat treats that helps satisfy your cravings, while keeping you away from all the usual Holiday goodies that might trigger overeating.

A lot of times people gain during the Holidays simply because we've been trained to associate those holidays with heavy sweets and treats that "everyone" seems to be eating. Perhaps seeking out replacement foods that don't blow your plan, whatever that plan is, while still helping you feel like you're enjoying some of the tastes of the season, is all you need.

Good luck!
  • michelegurr
    michelegurr Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I have only been using MFP for just under 2 weeks...I cannot tell you the magic plan for holiday eating, or I wouldn't need MFP, now would I? I CAN tell you what I plan to do as I was thinking the very same question, especially since we are hosting a big shindig with lots of fam this year...
    I plan on eating mostly protein, so turkey will be the big deal on my plate...also green salad, takes up lotsa room for little cals and others will not notice so much what you aren't eating. I will either share a roll with someone else or not eat one, cuz I am also a carbaholic, can ignore forever but once tasted my resolve is pretty much shot all to heck...also means I will forego my specialty, pecan pie and chocolate pecan pie (sigh). I would warn you off of things you already know are high cal, but I personally think it's sacreligious to eat thanksgiving turkey with out gravy and stuffing! LOL I just plan on getting very small helpings of these, just enough to taste and satisfy...BTW a little thing I found is, well at least it works well for the diet cake you can make with a box of cake mix and a diet soda...hard to get used to eating dry cake, but if I eat most of the cake first then just eat a little frosting out of a spoon with the tail end of the cake, I only eat like a teaspoon of frosting instead of like 2 TBSP...Im gonna put it to the test turkey day as well...eat the green salad first as I am so not a rabbit food person, then I'll feel fuller on the healthy stuff and not as inclined to binge on the rest of it...I will look now and know my cals and portion sizes so I can eyeball without feelin like a freako dieter busting out with my measuring cups in public! haha I will not save all my cals for dinner and only eat once, bad idea for me unless we eat late afternoon...my weak time...I will eat slow and talk a lot especially since our fam is chock full of multi-platers! And if for some goofy reason I do eat more than I'm supposed to, I have two backup plans: 1) where I live is absolutely gorgeous! I will invite everyone to go on a mass walk, sight seeing adventure...OR I will wait until all are asleep and I will play Wii until I've burned enough cals to make up for the overage!

Not so much a foolproof plan as it is a plan for a fool but hey least I have a game plan, and ya know what? I cannot , it is a physical impossibility to, eat enough in one day to gain back all I've lost (meaning to put me back at my high weight which was 250ish!). So hope some of this gives you something you can use to help you handle your holidays!

PS I live 15 miles from town and even when my kids were still home we never had trick or treaters so no candy in the house 'cept my big girl candy bars - I simply refuse to give up my dark chili chocolate, and yes it is worth doing extra wii time for! Good luck this year!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I plan to relax my eating on Xmas day, but other than that stay strict. I'm working New Years anyway
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat small breakfast, small lunch and not care so much in the evening. Maybe try to eat at maintenance level.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Eat whatever you want within reason and go for a walk or run to burn off excess calories and maintain your deficit.
  • dave6134
    Options
    My only advice is to see it as a normal day and keep your portion sizes to the same you would normally do.If those around you are over indulging allow them to do so, but relax and join in events on your terms.

If you think you might eat a little more than planned go for a brisk walk or plan to add an extra 30 minutes of exercise to your program. If you do put on a couple of lbs or don't lose weight don't panic or see it as a failure.

I was on here 2 years ago and 4 months into my weight loss when I faced this problem, I gained 3 lbs, but.... the next week when I weighed in I lost 5lbs. I think there is no right or wrong result. Just enjoy the holidays.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    I have already decided that the only two days I will allow myself to go over my calories are Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I am not going to go nuts! I figure 2 days won't kill me. If anything else comes up, I will deal with it but will stay within my goals.

I have the same philosophy, although I have three days. I will still keep to the not more then 3 pieces of candy and to stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore guidelines. But days like christmas eve and christmas morning breakfast is days where my daily 300-500 calorie deficit will make up for me eating a little more on occasions.
  • kimlynn919
    kimlynn919 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i've actually lost weight before over the holidays...candy is not an issue for me, so halloween doesnt scare me

but thanksgiving/christmas i can do okay sticking to the turkey, deviled eggs, veggie sides and a small bit of dressing...oh, and pumpkin pie...never have to leave out the pumpkin pie, i don't binge on it, but i enjoy it even with a dollop of whipped cream :)
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am putting off buying Halloween candy until right before Halloween. Then I will get things I don't care for but kids like. As long as have something for them, it doesn't matter whether it's the best chocolate or not. I love trick or treater's, but my health is more important. They will just have to do without Reece's Peanut butter Cups and Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars this year, LOL!

As far as Thanksgiving goes, I will just call it a cheat day. I haven't had one yet, and I have planned for that to be my cheat day. Fortunately, there are lots of people at our Thanksgivings, so we all take small portions and there is never enough for seconds.

Christmas is the most problematic, so I will just call Christmas Eve and Christmas Day cheat days, and not worry about them. They key is to stay away from all the treats at work, but at this point, I like feeling better more than I like treats, so I will save my goodie time for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and leave the rest alone!
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    On days I know there are Christmas parties (or birthdays, etc) I eat a small good breakfast (usually only 200 calories, mostly protein), and then only the party food. Then I exercise enough to bring myself back to maintenance only. I don't try for a deficit on these days. If need be, I have a protein shake for dinner.

It is only one day, and once I have resolved to keep under maintenance by cardio, it means I am less likely to binge to the extreme. I still have fun though :).
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    We celebrate Christmas Day, Boxing Day (the next day) and New Years Day but eat as normal inbetween. Portion control and choosing what I want most rather than eating everything and then resign myself for a maintenance week rather than a loss! Worked last year!
  • paulei1975
    paulei1975 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My first time back in the states after spending the last 3 in Europe, I'm going to Eat, drink and Drink some more. The next day I'll burn a few thousand calories with a headache but,oh well.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat what people serve me at social events but keep it to a reasonable portion size.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    the only days Im going to go over are christmas eve and christmas day. Wer off to the in laws on christmas day so will expect lots of treats and Im not worrying about it at all.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Personally, my plan is to exercise like crazy and eat REALLY well that week, but on the day of the actual holiday... I'm eating whatever I want. Hopefully in moderation. We'll see. :)