Your diet plan and why

Options
Not sure if this topic belongs here or somewhere else, but with that being said:

What type of diet are you using to loose weight, if your really using one at all, and why did you choose to go with that particular diet/lifestyle.

there are so many different types of diets out there what made you choose the one your currently using? Before you started using the one your currently using in full, did you try other types of diets and for some reason or other they just didn't work for you?

Im asking all these questions mostly out of curiousity. I myself have never really used a diet plan, ive mostly just counted calories and cut back on sodas and fast food. Though I am researching a diet that seems interesting(the fast diet) I haven't decided whether or not im going to do it.

I guess im just trying to start a discussion about all the different plans and such out there and why people chose the ones they chose when there are so many others out there how did you decide that this one was the right one for you and how much has it helped you thus far to reach your goal, whatever that may be.

Replies

• luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I do the "eat what you want but less than you do used to" diet. Meaning, I eat 500 cals less than what I burn every day but still eat tacos and hamburgers if it fits in my cals for that day. And lose 1 lb a week.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have no diet plan. I just eat healthier foods and I eat smaller portions of my favourite "bad" foods. I can't exclude food groups I always ate like carbs (fruit,whole wheat/white bread) or meat and dairy and be on a certain diet while I am already eating at a calorie deficit. It's too much for me since I'm busy enough.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet. I am not able to restrict daily, because I lose my motivation.

I have found my way of eating to lose my surplus weight and then I have a tool to maintain. Losing the weight is the easier part for most people. Keeping it off is more difficult long term. Which is why I never dieted during my adult life. I knew, I was looking for a long term life style change.

On May 13th I discovered 5:2. Since then I am following this way of eating.

5 days of normal and healthy eating at my TDEE including exercise cals, nothing is forbidden if it fits into my cal budget
    2 days at 500cal (men 600cal)
    I eat lunch and dinner on these days. I stick to lean protein and lots of veggies.

This nets me at about TDEE -20% and I get losses from 03.-1kg per week. I've lost 19kg (42lbs) since the end of April and I do not feel restricted or on a diet.

I have about 12kg to go. When I reach my goal, I will continue fasting once or twice a week and will stop counting cals on my non fasting days. The weekly fast will give me a few cals 'extra' for days, when I eat more than my TDEE.

You can find more info in the 5:2 group on MFP. Links to different documentaries on the subject.

For all that are sceptical - it is healthy, I am not starving on fast days, I am full of energy. I am fitter, healthier and happier than I have ever been. I'm more in sync with my eating habits and my cravings are much smaller, than they used to be.

If you find something else, that works for you. More power to you! This works for me.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat keto-style. It's not a diet though. It's a new way of eating for me. A lifestyle change.
  • pinksparkles4
    Options
    I don't necessarily have a particular diet that I stick with but made more of a lifestyle change. I make healthier choices and changed the way I eat. Less man made and more God made foods.

Was is manufactured and produced through a factory or was it natural or close to natural?? It's a little harder to shop when your options for the quick and easy out weigh the good for you and healthy.

Doing your research definitely helps!! I've always struggled with diets and would fail weeks into them. Making a complete and gradual LIFESTYLE change seems to be working so far. I see food different now. Over processed foods freak me out just thinking about WHAT is really is.

Smaller portions, more fruits and veggies, good grains, lean meats, minimal breads/carbs, water, tea and coffee ONLY. No sodas, processed junk, deep fried, rich condiments, and fast food (my downfall).

It's about self-control which has always been hard for me.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a plan either. I just eat healthy, cut calories and exercise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What type of diet are you using to loose weight, if your really using one at all, and why did you choose to go with that particular diet/lifestyle.

I started off low carb. Good for some initial weight loss, but it was a catastrophe when I started significantly increasing my activity level. What I do now is high carb, high protein, relatively low fat. I figure out my macros using the usual guidelines, and then fit them inside a TDEE-20% overall plan. Approximately half my deficit comes directly from increased TDEE due to large amount of exercise, so exercise is a massive contributor to my weight loss.

For protein, it's tuna, lean/extra lean beef, and chicken (alternating skinless/skinned). For carbs, I love dark breads, pasta and rice. And cookies. And I'll have a tub of Ben & Jerry every couple of weeks, spread out over 2-4 days, depending how it fits my macros.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't go by the TDEE's and such. Too confusing for me. I'm 5'2" and 50 years old. It went on a hell of a lot easier than it's coming off. With that being said, I'm not on a particular plan except my own. With trial and error it's what works for me. It's 1200 calories a day. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I walk 5 miles a day, burning roughly 400+ a day. When I started I was classified as obese, 166.7 in July this year. I'm now classified as overweight, 148.6. I watch what I eat and how much I eat. I watch the calories, fat, cholesterol (for medical reasons), sodium and especially my protein. I like to keep it close to a 100 if possible. I tried eating back my calories, I gained weight. I ate 1390 as mfp said I should for my activity level, I gained weight. So I changed each one, one at a time, until I found my magic numbers that at this point in my life work. I don't let this rule my life though. Any normal week, ^^^ above is my week. BUT if I'm out and I want to eat, I eat. If the family wants to cook, and I want to eat, I eat. I'm not in a rat race. I'm trying to change me for the good. And I'm happy. Once I reach my goal weight (125) I'll tweak it and have to see what it takes to maintain it, trial and error. Lol, I'm human I make lots of errors, but it works for me :)

PS Had to edit to add this, I find myself making much healthier choices than I did before, and I really LIKE the healthy options. Junk food and fried foods (I'm southern if you can't tell by my name) just don't interest me as much as they used to.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would not say that I actually have a diet plan, I just use MFP to control my calorie intake (and cutting some calories... required for weightloss). I try yo eat healthier and well... eating healthier most times helps in having bigger meals for the same calories. :smile: Also, I can say that I feel a lot better physically and mentally when eating healthy.

I choosed this lifestyle because diet is not for me. I can't do `eat only this and that, at this time or that time`. If I want a meal, I will get it, but modified for less calories; or in smaller portions. I can't keep a 1200-1400 calorie diet either. I'm taking it slowly but... if I were to eat like I eat now all my life... I wouldn't mind. The steady pace created a lifestyle that is so easy to maintain for me now that... sometimes I feel that I didn't earned the weight loss that comes every week.

My issue was never sodas, sweets (I hate sweet things), fast-food, chips, oil foods etc. I was eating the right stuff mostly, but in huge portions. My issue was that instead of a handfull of nuts (25-30 g), I would snack on the entire 200 g package; that I would put tons of cheese in my salad and I thought that was low calorie; I would eat 2-3 servings of a nice stew which in 1 serving would be a wonderfull dinner.
    I didn't knew where to stop. I didn't needed a meal plan. I just needed to find a way how to stop. And MFP helps me know where to stop everyday.
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    I've been on every diet known to mankind (well, almost) What works for me is Weight Watchers - and I'm incorporating it with MFP because I'd rather use MFP since it's free and calorically based and I also like the customization of being able to track particular nutrients. I think the reason I returned to WW is because it worked for me 10 years ago. You eat whatever you want, just rack up your points. The plan also encourages you to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables into your diet since they are either a 0 value of "points" or very low (like potatoes) so it encourages me to get back to the greens and the fresh things - it's a diet I can work into my life with ease, even eating out. Currently I'm using the WW online tools and MFP, I want to transition fully to MFP but am not ready to at this point - but I'll get there. I tend to get "carb-driven" in my eating so I really have to watch it. In 4 weeks I've lost 13.4 pounds and I feel as though it was pretty much effortless. For me, it's the best plan out there.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I did a calorie restricted version of IF. It was simple and I only had to count calories/'diet' every other day. It worked great and I'm glad I went that route for weight loss.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well I don't follow a diet but during my weight loss journey (aka the last few years since I realized I needed to get back to being healthy lol) I found the Primal Blueprint and have adopted a lot of its thoughts into my own lifestyle.

I try to limit grains, legumes and processed foods, focusing instead on eating mainly meat and veggies. I'm still trying to get used to incorporating the basics and I'm kind of taking it one step at a time so I still have rice sometimes and potatoes (I hate sweet potatoes so they're normal white/Yukon ones) and I still have normal dairy. Eventually I plan to find cleaner versions of my staple foods (grassfed, organics, etc.) I'm also going to try and find healthier versions of dairy as well.

It's a gradual process but that's ok with me; I think it's easier to take in a few changes, adjust and then continue rather than making my life a little harder looking only for clean healthy foods (I'm in law school at the moment so it's almost hard enough just to get to the grocery store at all!).

I think any step towards a healthier lifestyle is a good step, so even if I'm not where I want to be with my eating and lifestyle choices yet, I'm headed in the right direction already.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did a calorie restricted version of IF. It was simple and I only had to count calories/'diet' every other day. It worked great and I'm glad I went that route for weight loss.

that sounds interesting. could you send me a link on where to find more info please?
  • morpheousneo
    morpheousneo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do the "eat what you want but less than you do used to" diet. Meaning, I eat 500 cals less than what I burn every day but still eat tacos and hamburgers if it fits in my cals for that day. And lose 1 lb a week.

^^ This is same for me. Diets and restrictive eating do not work for me as when I fall off the wagon I'm back to square one, (and sometimes worse). Eating what I want but less works for me, as there is no wagon. Hmmm, true story. Also, I love food! I do go over my kcals a few times per week, sometimes on purpose but no harm done. I've been losing on average 6 lbs per month so far. I do exercise too though.
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    Calorie restriction, 15-20% less than my previous consumption. I don't exclude any particular food, but I have smaller portions. However, I am eating more fruits and veggies than before because they are more filling for their energy content (compared to, say, some carbs). I have reduced alcohol consumption—although I was never a big drinker—to once a fortnight or so. This means that when I drink I go for very good stuff, to make it worth it. To point out the obvious, everyone is on or has a diet http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/diet

Exercise wise I used to walk a lot before, now I combine it with the odd jog and am taking up swimming. I even enrolled in swimming lessons to improve my stroke.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Not a specific diet. Just calorie reduction. And have been gradually working on making healthier choices. Whole grain instead of processed, more veggies, trying to balance proteins and fats with my carbs. But if I want chocolate, I make room in my calorie goal and have it.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options

My biggest problem was my portions and mindless eating. So, I cut my portions by a lot and with logging I cut mindless eating to almost nothing (though it does still happen a few times a year, like this morning I ate 320 calories from sugar/junk before I even thought about it.) I chose it because it's sustainable. I didn't cut anything out 100%. I can't live the rest of my life thinking, "Oh, I can't eat sugar/carbs/meat/canned soup." Or any other such food. So since I don't have a health reason to limit a food I'm just targeting excess calories. For the record, I cut out coffee, tea and pop with caffeine, but I only did this recently and it is because I feel better without it--or I should say it started making me sick so I cut it and now they don't.

In the past (like 10 years ago) tried Slim-fast, it worked but I was so unhappy with my food choices, and my bodily functions and the cost. It's no way to diet--let alone change your life, IMO.
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit

Est. lose 1.2 lb/wk

20% Carbs / 40% Fat / 40% Protein

Eat as many straight up meats and veggies as possible - eliminate crappy processed microwave / canned / packaged foods. So far, I feel amazing.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    20% calorie deficit, less junk, more healthy stuff, higher protein intake, steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I used sticking to my calorie goal while eating foods I love in moderation.