New Running Shoes

Options
Hi all,

Have to buy new running shoes for running. Not sure what to get, a friend told me about Asics, the guy at the store said Nike and Saucony. Anyone that runs what would you suggest of the 3?
BTW I am not rich so I need a decent shoe for a decent price...lmao

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of shoes. I used to be very Nike dedicated because they worked best for MY feet. I have changed over to Asics and have never regretted it. Everyone's foot is different though, so do a search online and find out who near you fits customers for running shoes. Don't buy shoes the day you go to be fitted! Wait a few days and mull it over. Don't feel obligated to buy from the person who fits you either- shop for the best deal on the recommended shoes.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    oh and congrats on having lost so much weight so far! :smile:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fit for shoes. Then buy them online for cheap.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to a reputable place and have them do a gait analysis to see what kind of shoe you need.

Even if that's not an option, go to a store and try on different shoes & different brands. Chances are some of them will feel "right" and some will feel "wrong".

If you can't find a place to do a gain analysis, check this out: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/footanalysis.html
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    What links_slayer said!
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This ^^^^ and then order some asics
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

^^^this. Go to a specialty running store (not a big box store) and get properly fitted for shoes / have a gait analysis done. The brand and model that works perfectly for you may be awful for me and vice versa. Frankly, it's worth spending a bit of extra money to get the right pair, since the wrong pair can lead to injuries and misery (and, ultimately, the need for another pair of shoes very quickly). But, if money's an issue, you can go home, do some online shopping, and find the lowest price, as he suggested.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

If you have no intention of buying from the store, that is basically theft of services.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get properly fitted. Wait a day or two, before deciding. If you can find the shoes online or elsewhere for less, buy them. I would ask the running store if they price match before buying elsewhere. It's not theft of services if the running store offers free gait analysis. I try to support my local running store, but the shoe they fit me for was available at D!cks and I had a $20 coupon and a $10 rewards certificate. I couldn't pass that deal up, but I do buy what I can from the running store.

Good shoes can be expensive but the right shoes can be the difference between misery and happiness. The wrong shoes may cause lots of aches, which may cause you to not run.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted. What works for me or your friend could actually cause you injury. Go get your gait analyzed and get the proper shoe for your needs.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

If you have no intention of buying from the store, that is basically theft of services.
    I buy them from the running store lol...they need to money to stock the beer after our Wednesday group runs anyway lol
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Yeah. Take up valuable time from the local small business, then contribute your money to an out of state corporation.

If you use the service to get the shoe fit - buy the damn shoes at the store.....
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got Nike running shoes on clearance at DSW and had a $10 off coupon for joining their mailing list. Ended up being $35. I didn't get fitted, but they work.
  • njscorpio
    Options
    Asics-all the way! I had plantar faciitis and saw a foot dr who said Asics and New Balance have the best support. Asics have inexpensive ($50) to pricey($180) but well worth it!
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Yeah. Take up valuable time from the local small business, then contribute your money to an out of state corporation.

If you use the service to get the shoe fit - buy the damn shoes at the store.....

Agree with this 100%.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    A specialized running store is the way to go. One item to note though, is that the people at my local store are very helpful and will spend a lot of time with you to ensure you're happy. As such, I will always buy from them if I put them through the trouble of using their time and expertise on me. Even if it costs more. It's worth it.

If I decide to stick with that specific model, I'll buy it online cheaper. But with new models coming out fairly often, I'll still throw the local brick & mortar store my money. Their service is worth the premium.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Runners World has an online shoe guide which might give you some ideas: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

I run in Vibram Five Fingers and love them, but not everyone likes the minimalist shoes.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

seriously? so not cool...supporting your local running store not only keeps them in business but also provides a service to you as a runner. Go to any 'chain' sporting goods store and see how knowledgable they are about running or how much they could care less about runners.

These stores might be a little more expensive, but the small extra is well worth the attention and advice they give you....and it is pretty nasty to use their expertise, use their time and go make a purchase elsewhere.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I too say get fitted locally at a running specialty store, not a sporting goods store. I just got fitted for new shoes on Saturday. Yes, it's painful to pay $30 more for the shoes from them than I could get them for online, but I always buy the *first* pair from the local place. Then I go online for the next pair. I like to stock up my shoes since they change the models. The ones I was just fitted for are actually on their way out, so I've already ordered another pair online and will likely pick up a third pair in a few weeks before they all disappear.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    There really is no substitute for trying on the shoes. The perfect shoe for *me* might be the absolute worst shoe for *you*.