Asthma and wanting to Run! Help!

Options
I have pretty bad asthma, mainly just coughing. I can only run 5 mins, due to the lack of cardio. Help! My goal is to run a 10k, but I'm taking baby steps, so my goal is a 3k! Tips?

Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Were you diagnosed by a dr? So you have exercise induced asthma? or Do you have allergic asthma? Are you on inhalers everyday and/or other meds every day? If so...what?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    1. Use your inhaler prior to starting.
    2. use a program like C25k that will help you gradually increase the time you can run for
    3. Keep trying

And always keep your rescue inhaler with you.
  • redladywitch
    Options
    You can talk to your pulmonologist about this. They can give you some great advice.
  • Jessicahanzlik
    Jessicahanzlik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Were you diagnosed by a dr? So you have exercise induced asthma? or Do you have allergic asthma? Are you on inhalers everyday and/or other meds every day? If so...what?

Yes I have been diagnosed, any exercise or motion that gets my heart rate up from an extended amount of time sends me into an attack. I have non-allergic rhinitis as well that effects it greatly. But since I started my inhaler, it helps so much. I usually have to take it once a day, sometimes twice since I'm a very active person. And I hope by running, it'll help me cure myself of it.
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I also am an asthmatic runner. I always make sure to have my inhaler with me as well as my cell phone. I have come to know the difference between 'damn, my body & lungs are tired/working hard & it's hard to breathe' and 'oh shoot, I can't breathe! Trust yourself and start small. Don't be afraid to take a walking break, but as soon as you are breathing better, pick up the pace! You can do this!
  • ashclevs
    ashclevs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is your inhaler a steriod one to help for when you have attacks or a preventer? I have both and take my preventer twice a day which means I can get by and dont need my steroid one very often (also means when i get sick it doesnt affect my lungs as much). you should do some swimming aswell to boost up the cardio, its amazing for people with asthma. It helps you to control your breathing and to strengthen your lungs (just make sure you breathe out while you swim instead of holding your breath) and because its warm inside a pool its a lot easier on your lungs then running in the cold outside. The c25k is great as it gives you mini goals to work up to, just keep walking/running while your body and lungs adjust
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just use my inhaler beforehand.
  • redladywitch
    Options

Yes I have been diagnosed, any exercise or motion that gets my heart rate up from an extended amount of time sends me into an attack. I have non-allergic rhinitis as well that effects it greatly. But since I started my inhaler, it helps so much. I usually have to take it once a day, sometimes twice since I'm a very active person. And I hope by running, it'll help me cure myself of it.

OK. This information helps. I would suggest you use your rescue inhaler about 15 minutes before you exercise. Then, try walking(speed walking) for a few minutes then jogging for a few minutes. You don't need to time yourself. You could use phone polls as a guide....like speed walk and pass two phone polls, then jog and pass two phone polls.... and repeat. See how your lungs are responding. Adjust to what you can do and gently push yourself. I would carry your rescue inhaler with you though. You could increase this as you see fit. This will help you build up your lungs.

Of course you should e-mail your dr to see if what ever you decide to do is a good idea.

I have severe asthma brought on by numerous allergens. i.e. - I have to dust all the inside walls in my house at least once a week. It's ridiculous. I am also on steroids on a continuous basis. I actually go on walks when I can to build up my lungs. I'm up to just over one hour now. That's walking at a normal pace though.

I wish you the very best.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I also found that really focusing on slowing my breathing helps. Try to only run when the weather is optimal ex: between 50-70F - I don't need to use my inhaler before a run in mild weather. Cooler or warmer than that and I do. I carry water with me and take sips as need be because when your body is dehydrated you exert yourself more --> increased HR --> asthma attack. You can work through it! I did an inhaler free 7.5 mile run this morning! Since I have seasonal allergies, I make sure to take my allergy pills as well.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As someone who's had exercise (and allergen) induced asthma all my life, AND was extremely active, I can say that there are sometimes limits to what you can do with asthma. I did karate and soccer from the age of 7 and 5 respectively, and yet when I was in high school I still couldn't even score a pass running wind sprints (part of our required physical tests in gym). I was however extremely fit; I scored top marks in every other section. The only reason I couldn't run was because of my asthma. Even in soccer I had frequent attacks bad enough to require me to leave the field because I literally couldn't draw any breath. Even now, just walking to school sometimes (about 15 minutes walking normally) leaves me unable to breathe.

This isn't to discourage you, but you do need to have reasonable expectations. Everyone's asthma is different so please do test your limits and see how much you can improve them, but don't necessarily be disappointed if it turns out that even at your best, you can't run for long periods.