Anyone willing to go cold-turkey off soda with me?

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    But what will I wash down my pizza with? :sad:

Diet soda, of course. :drinker:
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i stopped diet soda cold turkey February 2012. Never looking back. Stopped using artificial sweeteners too (except for the little bit of sugar free vanilla creamer I use in my coffee in the AM). Drink my tea black (both iced and hot). i do drink alot of plain seltzer because I like the fizz of soda, but don't miss soda at all.

You should definitely do it!!!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I dropped soda (all kinds) cold turkey almost 12 years ago & never looked back once. A good thing to do. Good luck!
  • Mindychu88
    Options
    I just stopped drinking soda AND coffee ~2 weeks ago, so far so good. The Headache lasted about 2 days for me but drinking a lot of water seemed to help. I do have the occasional cup of decafe coffee like today when I start getting the urge but no turning back now! Good Luck!
  • sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First week is the worst, I had one can of diet cola at lunch time and still do some days but don't have the 2 litre bottle I used to drink every day after work.

I now buy bottled water and drink this ice cold.

You can do it :)
  • sserf
    sserf Posts: 5
    Options
    I am addicted to dirt coke,which I think is probably worse than regular soda. I won't even tell you much I drink a day. It's embarrassing. I have had none for 1 week now. I am substituting polar springs seltzer. I drink coffee, which helps with caffeine withdrawal. Good luck.
  • cwrldpc
    cwrldpc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can quit soda, but I like the buzz coffee gives me. You didn't say anything about quitting caffeine :wink:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    in Dec. it will be 4 years of no more soda pop for me. I went cold turkey and haven't looked back since.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey from drinking several RC colas a day when I began this healthy lifestyle journey and have never looked back. Now I drink water all day long. I'm so glad I did! The benefits are well worth the short-term headaches. My skin is soo much softer, I don't wake up with my mouth feeling like a dust bowl & I feel so much better. Drinking soda exclusively, even though it does contain water I suppose, had put me in a state of perpetual dehydration for years. I tried a sip of hubby's a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how excessively sweet it tasted. I honestly don't miss them at all, which amazes me since I have such a sweet tooth. Go for it, your body will thank you. Good luck! :)
  • Chelseatheturtle
    Chelseatheturtle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cokes(any really any fizzy drinks, except for the occasional punch at wedding and baby showers) 5 or 6 years ago. I had started drinking more water in the weeks to going off them completely. One morning I had a sip of coke and I did not like the taste any more. Good luck with the habit kickin yall.
  • tshef20
    tshef20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot of soda in college (makes a wonderful chaser haha). I stopped cold turkey and was able to kick the habit pretty quickly and haven't felt better! Once you get rid of it for a week or two, you no longer crave it! Water just tastes so much better now! Good luck!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'm in. My husband did it 6 years ago (so proud of him), and I'm nearly there myself. Can't give up the cuppajoe in the mornings though. I'd die!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I only drink one soda every 2 weeks or so so I'm out, but I'm cheering you on! I second replacing soda with soda water/seltzer. I love it. You get the fizzy without the artificial crap.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can do it.

I quit on March 15th of this year. I replaced it with sparkling water which still gives me the fizz that I love - but 0 calories. I would drink 2-4 sodas a day - quit cold turkey and have not missed it. Not sure what took so long.

If I can do it so can you.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey when I first started getting serious on MFP. I had headaches for a few days, but that ended. Now, I have a coke or 2 every few weeks when I'm in need of caffeine. I used to drink 2 52 oz glasses (sometimes 3) a day of coke for many years.

You can do this...it just depends on how bad you want to lose the weight. :)

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MsBeautifullOne
    MsBeautifullOne Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'll join ya! I have to for the next 7-8 months anyways!
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I can support you. But I quit soda at the end of March when I started getting serious about losing weight. I had a week or so of headaches and grumpiness but I don't drink coffee or tea either so when I cut out soda I cut out almost all my caffeine. You can do it, just get through the initial phase. I am so glad I did it. I spend much less money now that I don't drink it and I feel better. Much less calories for me too.
  • rayemlls
    Options
    Same here...Had my last pepsi yesterday..Already sick of water..trying tea and diet soda but only one diet soda a day....Its so hard ..Stoping my smoking was easier...lol...Sad but true
  • rayemlls
    Options
    wow,I cant Imagine...Day 1 here..Makes me wonder whats in it.:sad: