Resetting daily calorie goal as you lose weight

Options
I've read that MFP gives you the chance to reset your goals every 10lbs lost. That includes the daily calorie goal you need to make to lose/gain your planned amount of weight.

I've managed to reset my daily calorie goal more often than that (by messing around with the weight goal to see what happens, then changing it back).

Actually, wouldn't it be good to reset more often? I've just done the messing with the goals thing after logging a weight loss of 0.4kg (about 1pound): and it has reduced my daily goal by 20 calories. I was wondering - could you end up with weight loss levelling off or stopping because the goal is still one which was right back when you were heavier?

Replies

• Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You are still eating at a deficit. Your calories are maint minus a set percentage. Which is determined by how much you are trying to lose per week. Bigger loss goal, bigger defiicit. So even as you approach said 10lb mark, you are still eating at a deficit.
    Sure you can change it weekly if you like. Personally untill my losses slow down.. I am sticking to what I am allocated.
  • ryandeceptacon
    ryandeceptacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are still eating at a deficit. Your calories are maint minus a set percentage. Which is determined by how much you are trying to lose per week. Bigger loss goal, bigger defiicit. So even as you approach said 10lb mark, you are still eating at a deficit.
    Sure you can change it weekly if you like. Personally untill my losses slow down.. I am sticking to what I am allocated.

Nailed it.
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks - yes probably worth considering resetting if weight loss stops but you think you're doing everything right.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to, but then I got down to 120lbs and I am only 5ft tall, and it got to 1290 per day and mentally that just felt too low, so I moved it back up to 1350 (I know 60 cal isn't that much, but it seems like a world of difference) and so far it is still working. In fact I am at a normal weight now and when it stops working and becomes more or less maintenance that's probably as low as my weight will ever go, because I don't think I could go lower. :-)
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I never adjusted it myself but every 10lbs it moves down about 60 calories or so.

When I started I was at one thousand, three hundred and something if I remember correctly, but not its been at 1260 and has been telling me to reduce it for a few weeks, but there's no way I'm going down to just 1200.

I'm still losing, and if that stops I'll reduce it, but basically, keep it at whatever you want as long as you're happy with what you're losing! :)
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I never adjusted it myself but every 10lbs it moves down about 60 calories or so.

MFP automatically makes an adjustment every 10 pound loss or gain and you can reset it yourself anytime you want.Fitbit does it daily BTW.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know. Every ten lbs I lose it asks me if I want it to recalculate the calories, I have just said no as I feel 1200 would be too low for me.