breakup.

Options
so i just ended my relationship with my boyfriend and i've turned to ice cream and pizza with ranch dressing to "make me feel better"... which it hasn't. i've actually only become more upset with myself. i guess i'm just looking for some support and encouragement to keep my away from the refrigerator. and at the moment writing this post is the only thing that is keeping me from binge-ing. anyone that's been in this position, what has worked for you?? 'cause this sucks.

Replies

• kaitlyn08
    kaitlyn08 Posts: 6
    Options
    so i just ended my relationship with my boyfriend and i've turned to ice cream and pizza with ranch dressing to "make me feel better"... which it hasn't. i've actually only become more upset with myself. i guess i'm just looking for some support and encouragement to keep my away from the refrigerator. and at the moment writing this post is the only thing that is keeping me from binge-ing. anyone that's been in this position, what has worked for you?? 'cause this sucks.
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been there tooo many times. Stressed and depressed is the worse combination. The last time I turned to exercise instead of food. Ended up losing 10 lbs and feeling good about myself. :happy:

Love & Blessings
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are going through a rough patch. Do you have a gym you go to maybe to and do a workout. Personally staying busy is the best thing I can do when I am having a hard time.

I am sure others will have some suggestions. Be strong you did what you needed to do . Be confident in that choice and go in the direction you want to go.

Good luck.
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    I have. Just posting here when I feel crappy makes it better becuase there are so many great people here to offer support. :smooched:
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    Well if I were trying to snap myself out of it, I'd probably say, 'next time I see [my ex] I want him to see how gorgeous I am and regret giving me up!' and use it as a mantra to maybe even lose weight (if I needed/wanted to). Regardless of whether I wanted him back. I must admit, I'm competitive and would want to be the relationship 'winner' (bad, I know).

drink LOTS of cold water, chew some gum or suck on a lolly pop. Go for a run, go out with friends...anything that will keep you away from the fridge. Good luck and don't worry, love has a way of coming around again. You'll meet someone else soon who will make you happy!
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    granted.. this was a very very long time ago, but for me, i had to force myself to get out of the house. leave the refrigerator behind and get outside and go for a walk. i did a lot of walking.. it was either that, or eat.. and i figured the best way to make him regret his decision was to look the best i could.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I turned to booze. I in no way suggest that but once I realized I was sabatoging (sp?) myself I just walked. Miles and miles everyday. Took out my anger on the pavement and lemme tell ya it felt great and I lost a TON of weight so then I felt even better about myself.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

I've heard kickboxing is a good outlet for this type of sadness and/or anger. Anything that will make you release endorphins should work though, gotta get out there and be active!
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Put on some angry music and go for a run!

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, break ups suck a lot.

:flowerforyou:
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    granted.. this was a very very long time ago, but for me, i had to force myself to get out of the house. leave the refrigerator behind and get outside and go for a walk. i did a lot of walking.. it was either that, or eat.. and i figured the best way to make him regret his decision was to look the best i could.

I did the same, just walked and walked and listened to really loud upbeat music while i was out. it gives you the time alone to think about everything and work through it. I would go late at night when no one was around to distract me from it. It really helped. I hope you feel better soon.
  • carrotstick
    Options
    sometimes you just want to curl up and eat. if you're not up to the physical exercise, the pick up a good girls' book (anything by Candace Bushnell... i.e. Sex and the City, Lipstick Jungle, Trading up) and just read. Since it's not tv, you won't be tempted to snack ... and a good book will let you escape for a while AND keep you away from the fridge!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time but please don't sabotage your weight loss by heading for the frig and eating unhealthy food. Cry if you need to then hit the gym or go for walks or run or ride a bike but get out of the house and do something. Keep us informed on how you're doing. As you see you can get the support and encouragement you need from this website. We care about you and want you to succeed. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Betty
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also just broke up with someone, after 3 years. I know it's really though.
    Like already mentioned, I turned to exercise, it fills the time I used to make for him AND it give me an opportunity to think about what I want to do next- what friends I want to see over the weekend and what my new single adventure will be. Also, it give me time to think about the things that really used to bother me about him, which gives me a sigh of relief that it's over :)
  • nchandler22
    Options
    I say kuddos to you big time for having the courage to do it and or deal with it at all... I on the other hand NEED to break up with my boyfriend and the retarded side of my brain that keeps saying, "you are out of shape, very overweight and do you really want to be labeled as single" keeps me staying ... I honestly do not know why and I think I am just petrified of that alone unaccepted feeling that already exists inside of me coming more to the surface

so in short, I think you are doing a fabulous thing and I envy you tremendously. The road right now might suck majorly but the road ahead of where you are going holds wonderful things... its that stupid short path we have to take in order to change highways that kills us... I have been to the gym every night this week, mind you everyday on my drive home I try to find reasons not to go.. but by time I leave, I leave a piece of the hurt behind...

Now can you give me an ounce of your courage so I can walk away from the person that keeps me so empty inside? :flowerforyou:
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Watch what you eat, lose the weight and next time you see him he'll drool all over you and you will feel better about yourself. :wink:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

Watch what you eat, lose the weight and next time you see him he'll drool all over you and you will feel better about yourself. :wink:

DITTO!!! Check it out! This needs to be your quote AND your new goal. Look twice as good each time he sees you! It can only go up from here!!! You can do it!:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    CARROTS!! Lots of carrots. cut up veggies and fruits so when you open the fridge you have choices.

You have worked too hard to ruin all you have accomplished.

I know you are in pain, and when we are in pain we want to fill the void, so fill it with good things.

Take a class...learn spanish, finish a degree, start a degree. Or better yet start classes in Marshall Arts. You would be amazed at the progress you will make in weight loss and self esteem. It builds you up in many ways.( or you can kick his butt when you see him next :laugh: )

I am sorry for your pain. I hope you feel better soon.
  • kaitlyn08
    kaitlyn08 Posts: 6
    Options
    to: nchandler22

let me first say that you should be proud of yourself every time you go to the gym instead of making excuses. that right there shows me that you not only can follow through with weight loss, but you can get yourself out of a situation that is only making your life harder and less happy.
    we all have the strength in us to do what's right, we just have to find it. and as you look for that strength in you to end an unhealthy relationship, why not turn to exercise & surrounding yourself with people that will make you feel loved and give you the support you need. you CAN do this. i believe it.
    keep me updated, and do what you need to do for yourself. =)
  • nchandler22
    Options
    awful smart cookie for your age!!! :flowerforyou:
  • nmonkey
    nmonkey Posts: 66
    Options
    Yup...been there so many times. I am so sorry!

RUNNING! It's the best thing as it makes you feel so empowered!!