Taking yourself too seriously

Options
I have a number of friends who are very fit/healthy yet are often talking about needing to lose that last few kilograms or maintain an ideal weight for a certain occasion (soccer season, marathon, beach vacation, etc). In the past I never worried about my weight. Today I realized that since I joined MFP I had become one of those people.

I joined MFP primarily to improve my fitness levels. While at the high end of the healthy range when I joined, my BMI has never been overweight. Since my initial focus became long distance running I looked up the current height/weight of 10 of the top long distance runners in the world on Wikipedia and calculated their average BMI. That BMI became my goal and by the beginning of 2013 I had achieved it. All year I have tracked my weight and my (7 day rolling average) weight never fluctuated more than a few kilograms. My cholesterol, blood sugar, etc is all perfect. Although my diet was not restrictive (I regularly eat pizza, doughnuts, bacon cheeseburgers and ice cream) I carefully tracked all my calories/macro numbers on a weekly basis and remained very close to target every single week.

All along I planned on starting to bulk after my first marathon two weeks ago (less than one year since I started running). However I found myself increasing my running goals every time I achieved my previous goal and using that as an excuse to delay bulking (which would increase my current “ideal running weight”). In September for example I set a 5k goal of 22:00. When I ran the race in 20:16 I set a new goal for 20:00. My reasoning was that it would be silly to gain a lot of weight while being so close (16 seconds) to the 20 minute barrier. Yesterday I was happy about exceeding my 5k goal by running a race in 18:29 less than one year from my first 5k. Unfortunately I learned afterward that according to the race winner the "USATF certified” course measurement was likely off so I did not run quite as fast as I thought. I was pretty upset and ready to delay my bulk once again so I could register for another 5k before gaining weight.

I realized I was being ridiculous. I am not an Olympic athlete or a boxer trying to make my weight class. I could gain 20 pounds (or more) and still be within the healthy BMI range. There is no reason for me to maintain my running weight to within a few kilograms as if I was training to qualify for the 10,000m race in the 2016 Olympics. I need to stop taking myself so seriously and not worry about 16 seconds when I have achieved every other running goal I have set for myself (from every distance from 1 mile to the marathon). Tomorrow I will start bulking and I don't care if I gain 5, 10 or 20 pounds next year. My blood work is perfect, my body fat is around 10% and my weight is and will remain healthy. My Stronglifts 5x5 lifting numbers have been stalled since starting marathon training (while I was eating at maintenance). I look forward to eating at a surplus to better fuel my strength training going forward.

If you are healthy there is no reason to focus on hitting/maintaining your weight within a few kilograms all year like I did. Diet/fitness should be fun not a chore! Unless you are a weight class athlete (wrestler, boxer, etc) don’t take things as seriously as I did. Enjoy your success, move on to your next goal and don’t get hung up on 16 seconds.

Replies

• Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Excellent considerations (and I approve that your reached these conclusions during a spontaneous 30k trail run... using running for meditation is much better, psychologically, than using it for "fitness.")
    I think it's good to take a step back from our goals once and a while and recognize what we've already accomplished. You are so freaking awesome, man. I can't believe you started running a year ago and already completed a marathon (pretty fast too,) and those fast 5ks. Yet, if you want to bulk, just go for it. Remember to treat your goals with respect, but also with the freedom that you're the one who created them, and changing them is not a weakness. I hope you take your own advice, "Enjoy your success, move on to your next goal and don’t get hung up on 16 seconds." :)
    Taking yourself seriously is good, and can get you far. But when it starts to impede upon your happiness, then you have to lighten up a bit.
    Hope this new perspective of yours gets you through your next goal!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Very good reality check. :) much success in your bulking. I look forward to hearing of your process.
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Diet/fitness should be fun not a chore! Unless you are a weight class athlete (wrestler, boxer, etc) don’t take things as seriously as I did. Enjoy your success, move on to your next goal and don’t get hung up on 16 seconds.
    [/quote]

^^^ Love this! Best of luck on your journey. :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I came to the same kind of realization a few months ago. I don't need to kill myself trying to meet some time trial, I can just enjoy my run and I can even walk if I want to. My weight doesn't have to be exactly bang on the goal I've set for myself. I'm at a low BF% and low weight so if I gain a couple pounds it isn't the end of the world. I can have an ice cream cone even if it puts me over budget today and if I have fries and I gain some water weight, it's water, who cares?

My life is no longer about obsessing about every bite taken and every second gained or lost. It's my life to enjoy as it comes.