Daily calorie consumption goal completely impossible!

Options
Ok, so my daily calorie goal is supposed to be 1420 for the amount of weight i wanna lose in a week. I am trying to lose about a pound a week and my goal weight is 115 lbs...i am currently a little over 125 lbs. The thing is even when i think i haven't eaten much at all in a certain day, i end up going wayyy above my calorie limit. For example, today all i had was a plate of veggie spaghetti w/ whole wheat pasta, a few pieces of crostinis, 3 cups of ginger ale, and one little piece of cake with chocolate icing. Doesn't sound like a lot, right? Well...i went over my calorie goal by 358 calories. Bummer! And i also ended up consuming 99 more grams of carbs, 5 more grams of fat, and 12 more grams of protein than i'm supposed to. Oh well...at least i didn't go over my sodium intake limit...today i was under by 187 mg! :) So, anyone else out there feels as frustrated and depressed as i am?? lol

Replies

• platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a lot, but you ate/drank quite a bit of sugar and carbs -- both high calorie categories...

I like to save my calories for something that I can chew... :-) Perhaps you should up your water intake?

Good luck with your journey... :-)
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    You could always add in exercise :) MFP automatically adjusts your calories to fit the amount of exercise you log in, therefore the more you exercise the more you can eat. That's the way I generally stay under.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It can be SO frustrating. What is important to remember is that you need to watch not only calories, but the nutritional content of your meals also. This will help you stay within your goals and feel full.

Look for healthy food that you enjoy. For example, I hate drinking milk, but I LOVE Greek yogurt. I LOVE potato chips, but pita chips are a good substitute and somewhat healthier. Don't worry about making all the changes at one time, but make one change at a time. Instead of trying to hit all your goals tomorrow, work on switching just one thing if that is more doable for you. For example, work on getting your fat grams within the guidelines and don't worry too much about everything else. With that change, your calories should be closer to your goal also.
  • jmo325
    jmo325 Posts: 57
    Options
    pasta + bread + dessert + soda = calories galore. Don't be fooled by the amount. Think about what you are actually eating and you'll be surprised. I hardly ever drink soda and only take dessert if i've been REALLY good the whole day. Pasta has also been something i tend to avoid unless i portion it into small amounts.
  • JBankey
    JBankey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts- do away with the pasta and use a decent substitute like spagetti squash. Also, plan on eating a salad for one of your meals per day. Avoid the sweets. I have been able to consistantly stay around 1300 calories and I travel alot for work. Pay attention to the caloric values at restaurants. Staying below the threshold can be done. Also work out each day. Good luck to you!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Can you journal before or after each meal? If you don't have internet access during the day, do like I do (work doesn't allow non-work sites and I have a generic cell phone).....I keep a little memopad in my purse, I jot down my food and drink as I go with a running calorie total for those I know from the package or at least best guess (you'll get better about guesstimating as you go).

When I have MFP access, I'll log my food before I actually prepare it...I might see I want to adjust the meal slightly.

These are things that work for me.

OH! If I'm actually going to be at my desk all day, I'll start an email to my home address and just enter all my food in the email as the day goes by....then send it as I leave for home.
  • melani75
    melani75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time staying under my calories when I eat flour based stuff--I avoid pastas and breads for the most part. I did make lasagna last week but substituted one layer of pasta with sliced zucchini. I've also switched to diet pop (that's harder than anything else). Good luck to you--finding substitutes for your higher calorie likes will help a lot.
  • troyindallas
    troyindallas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You will get better at it. Just keep doing it. You will learn as you read labels how to trim your calories down. It takes some time and practice. My daily calorie intake is just 1650 a day and I usually end the day with a couple of hundred left over. I am usually looking for something to eat just to reach my daily need. If you have a sweet tooth, buy the 100 calorie snack items they are great to fix the need for salt or sugur without killing your diet. Limit carb and starches. The calorie intake is too high and you will just get hungry again sooner than later. Try to up the protein in order to keep hunger at bay and you will feel more satisfied and remember to keep drinking. Tea, water whatever no cal drink you can swallow, do it often.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Like CT said, add a workout to your day and you'll balance it all out. You'll learn to make better choices, but your life doesn't have to exclude cake. Just be sure you have the calories for it or that you have a workout to earn it planned.

I look at my calories as $$$. Do I really want to spend that much on a drink (when thinking I need a milkshake)...uh no. I'd prefer to have enough money to buy dinner! :drinker:
  • Birdnicaj
    Options
    You need to take a hard look at what you are doing...you are on a diet right? Well, why are you drinking soda and eating cake? Dude, what about fruit and salad???
    I'm not afraid to say what everyone is thinking!!!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Part of losing weight is about making compromises. If your calorie consumption was high for the day, leave out the cake. Replace the ginger ale with plain water.

And add in exercise if you don't want to make those compromises. :)
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I went on a plan after reading a book and was very successful at losing 50 pounds. The main thing this plan had you avoid was sugar at all cost. I became very conscientious of what foods were high in "sugar" content as these are wasted calories and turn to fat. My current plan is 1350 calories a day and I have easily been able to accomplish this. Now I do have days when I splurge and will go WAY over plan but I learned that if you don't spike your system every so often it goes into self defense mode and starts storing fat as it tries to protect you from starving to death. You can view my "Daily Diary" if interested in what I eat. It isn't for everyone, but it has worked wonders for me.
  • clbiggins83
    clbiggins83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    try crystal light instead of Soda..it is delicious especially the lemonade
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Volumetricaly speaking, nope, it's not that much.
    But, in terms of nutrition and satisfaction, there's no way a daily menu like that would sustain me.
    Did you measure your pasta? Just because it was veggies with whole wheat pasta doesn't mean it's
    low cal.

I aim for whole grains, lean proteins, lots of fruits & veg, water, and dairy in my daily menu.
    Planning goes a long way.

Good luck!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    like everyone said, today wasn't your best day. when i started i immediately cut out soda. water is great and i just made it a personal challenge to drink the full 8 cups. i also make my own brewed tea. i eat fruit but rarely have a cake. despite this i don't feel deprived. i likely slow my potential weight loss but i allow a cheat day a week but this day is not a binge day for me. I just enjoy bites of food, for instance my husband gets a chocolate chip cookie, i have a bite. it may seem hard at first but once you find the right balance you may find yourself struggling to eat enough calories because the good stuff fills you up more and leaves you very satisified
  • Saxophone96
    Options
    Try eating 400 cals a meal. And maybe limit your portions just a bit (3 glasses to 1.5 glasses).
    I have the opposite problem. If I force food in my mouth, I manage to get 1,200 cals a day. but I usually eat around 900 cals.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Before I met with my trainer last week (and started here) I wasn't eating nearly enough, my body was in starvation mode. So it's been a challenge for me to get enough calories, especially if I've been to the gym. Since I'm going to the gym 5 days a week I decided to give myself a break on weekends and not worry so much about my calories so that I could eat the yummy stuff I avoid during the week. This weekend I still tracked my calories and it was very clear that it's best just to avoid certain things. I don't drink soda during the day and will only have one with dinner if I have the calories left over after calculate my meal. I've been drinking 8 or 9 glasses of water a day and have not missed soda at all, so it's not a big deal if I don't get one. As others have said, I'd rather have the calories for food than soda.

Definitely pay attention to portion sizes. Eat more fruits and vegetables and you'll feel fuller for longer and you'll get to eat the quantity of food your body is used to. Give yourself a day off from exercise and "dieting", everyone deserves one day a week. But don't go overboard. Still track your calories, still try to eat healthy but have a treat if you want one. Get some kind of exercise most days. 30 minutes of cardio keeps your heart healthy and will give you a few extra calories to eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    P.S. My calorie goal is almost exactly the same as yours. It's definitely possible to eat enough to feel satisfied without going over the calorie limit. I eat three full meals and still have a snack on days when I work out (burning ~300 calories) and sometimes have trouble eating those extra calories. Just make smarter food choices and it will be easy.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    P.S. My calorie goal is almost exactly the same as yours. It's definitely possible to eat enough to feel satisfied without going over the calorie limit. I eat three full meals and still have a snack on days when I work out (burning ~300 calories) and sometimes have trouble eating those extra calories. Just make smarter food choices and it will be easy.

I wouldn't call it easy -- but it's doable. MFP is like a balancing act. Everything as to come together in balance. That's the beauty of "putting your day together .". The more you do it, the easier it becomes.
  • Kippster
    Kippster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1430 a day and i have 58 pounds left to lose, and it is hard, i hear ya, and i hate counting my exercise calories as extra calories to eat, i feel like my exercise was a waste then. Keep giving it your best shot, it's gotta get easier.:smile: