Can you eat too little if you're eating whole foods?

Options
Sometimes I get to the end of the day and only have eaten 1000 calories even though I've gone through a lot of food. I eat a lot of rice and stuff like that, which is low on the calories, but very filling. If I feel like I've eaten a lot of food and have gotten my nutrition, should I force myself to eat more (So I don't get that note warning me that I'm eating too little) or just be satisfied with what I've done for the day?

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would probably add in some fats like nuts or something... are you meeting your daily nutritional needs with only eating 1000 calories? In any case your body needs more to function long term (see BMR).
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think if you're meeting all your nutrient requirements then there's no problem. It's actually a falsehood that you need a certain amount of calories a day - provided you have body fat you have all the fuel your body needs right there. Nutrients are really what food's all about for anyone who's trying to lose weight; the problem with eating too little is the possibility of lacking nutrients. If that's all good, then I wouldn't worry about it, and definitely don't try to force yourself to eat more because that's not going to serve you well in the future (overeating is a major cause of obesity after all).
  • wheels6030
    wheels6030 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Okay eating nuts is a good idea. It's not like every day ends up like that...so it shouldn't be a problem if my totals are really low every once I a while I think...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of rice and stuff like that, which is low on the calories, but very filling.

Curious - when I need more calories I specifically turn to rice as a way of getting a lot of calories without feeling stuffed or having to eat too much.

Not trying to make an argument, just an observation on how differently people can view the same food!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    1/2 a cup of Almonds (360 calories) and a glass (2 measured cups worth) of chocolate milk (300 calories) = 660 calories and is barely a snack in my opinion.... and Rice (1 cup is 200 calories) last time I checking is pretty calorie dense as well.... So between the almonds, milk, and a cup of rice you would be looking at 860 calories....... I just find it hard to believe anyone would have a problem eating 1000 calories a day..... You need to eat more calorie dense food if you can't make up your calories... I have been in maintenance for the past year at 4000 calories a day and have no problem hitting that mark daily..... Best of Luck....
  • Accusation
    Accusation Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I worry about this right now too, haah. I am vegan and to lose weight I cut out processed foods/grains. Meaning right now I only eat vegetables, fruit, beans, and nuts-- In smaller proportions than I used to. I'm sure none of the calories I eat are empty, but I should still eat less, right? I feel just as skeptical as I was before the limitations on processed foods and bread, so I eat especially cautious and meagerly..

I don't meet my caloric goal (a fact I'm stubbornly proud of) but it may be enough to trigger my body's emergency mode. Should I eat bigger meals? I'm so worried about overeating, errg..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have trouble meeting mine too. But you just keep on eating. It's completely awesome to be able to have seconds or thirds and/or dessert..

Holy crap @4,000 calories per day.. If I did that much i'd be back where i started! That's a LOT of food!! wow
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get to the end of the day and only have eaten 1000 calories even though I've gone through a lot of food. I eat a lot of rice and stuff like that, which is low on the calories, but very filling. If I feel like I've eaten a lot of food and have gotten my nutrition, should I force myself to eat more (So I don't get that note warning me that I'm eating too little) or just be satisfied with what I've done for the day?

1,000 calories is not enough food to fuel your body. In fact, I doubt ti would barely give you half a tank of fuel.

That said, my guess is you are eating more than 1,000 calories per day, especially with rice and "stuff like that." What is "stuff like that," anyway? :smile:

1 cup of rice generally has 216-300 calories, depending on the type of rice. That's not low in calories, even though its darn delicious and can be worked into any eating plan.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I think it's IMPOSSIBLE to eat too little if one was eating Whole Foods! I'd get sick after the first vegan, dreadlocked cashier!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I have trouble meeting mine too. But you just keep on eating. It's completely awesome to be able to have seconds or thirds and/or dessert..

Holy crap @4,000 calories per day.. If I did that much i'd be back where i started! That's a LOT of food!! wow
    It IS impressive, but according to my Bodymedia, I would maintain at 2750-3000ish. I lose eating an average of 2200. :drinker: I would chew off my own arm eating only 1,000. :tongue:
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    LOL. Bull****.

1/2 cup of rice = 150 calories

So either all you eat is celery, carrots, rice and water, you're underestimating your intake, or you're just not eating anything.

Either way, 1000 calories is a joke.

I'm out.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

It IS impressive, but according to my Bodymedia, I would maintain at 2750-3000ish. I lose eating an average of 2200. :drinker: I would chew off my own arm eating only 1,000. :tongue:

1000 is crazy. i could do it only on days AFTER i had eaten 3000-4000 calories and wasn't hungry anymore.

also, i think 499 people out of 500 people cannot meet their proper daily fats and protein goals on a 1000 calorie diet.

e.g., a person at 150lbs with 25% BF needs 53g fat and 90g protein. that's 53 x 9 + 90 x 4 = 837 calories out of 1000 that have to be specifically chosen to meet those 2 macros. it's even harder the heavier the person gets.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of rice and stuff like that, which is low on the calories, but very filling.

Curious - when I need more calories I specifically turn to rice as a way of getting a lot of calories without feeling stuffed or having to eat too much.

Not trying to make an argument, just an observation on how differently people can view the same food!

a pint of plain brown rice is like 850 calories.

3/4cup=160kcal*5.333
  • sarsons2
    Options

Look at the packet! Rice and pastas are quite high in carbs, they are not low carb foodstuffs at all
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say 1000 is too low but it probably is for most women unless they're non ambulatory. However:

Are you getting enough protein? If not, you will eventually lose muscle mass. Losing muscle mass is not healthy and loss of muscle mass as we age (sarcopenia) is a great concern. We've got to put on muscle now because there will be a battle to retain it as we get older and more frail.

Dietary fat is also important for proper hormone function How much are you getting?

If you're vegan- Nuts & nut butters, seeds, olive oil, avocados, olives will increase your fat intake. Grass fed butter and omega 3 eggs if you're not.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    drink whole milk it will bump up your calories, tis what i do if im low at the end of a day and need a quick boost
  • wheels6030
    wheels6030 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of chocolate/icecream which is why I needed to lose weight. I also always eat brown rice, which is a lot more filling than white rice. A cup of brown rice has a little over 200 calories. Plus I like tofu dishes and that is relatively low calorie too. And I love things like broccoli and kale stir-fries. Those all have a lot of vitamins and nutrients..