Why can't I resist hopping on the scales EVERY morning?

Options
Does anybody else do this - or is it just me? The scales are conveniently located in my bathroom which is the first place I go every morning. Its becoming a bit of a habit now and I wish I could just wait until Thursdays - which is my "proper" weigh in day.

Replies

• rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. I know people say you shouldn't, but I can't help it either. It eats at me all morning until I get on the scale and check.
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My weigh in day is on Fridays. I used to weigh every day but then I stopped because like you I heard it was bad for you. If you don't want to weigh every day, why not take your scale out of the bathroom until Thursdays??
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, and usually know what to expect given whatever I did the day before. It helps keep me accountable. I haven't been friends with the scale for the past three day, but that's because I've been screwing up this week lol If you don't want to weigh yourself just take the scale out and put it up somewhere you barely go(closet, cabinet, etc.)
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I keep track on a spreadsheet so I can see my flucuations. It does not get me down most days because I have seen it be up one or two days and then it goes down and I am at my target weight lose for the week. I actually find it interesting to see what it is like after a night of eating out. I think it would stress me out if I only weighed myself once a week because if it just happens to be during a spike I may get down on myself for a whole other week.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    As long as you understand weight fluctuations and don't let them bother you, there's nothing wrong with weighing every day. If you have emotional reactions to "gains" that are just normal fluctuations, you should probably put it away, but otherwise, there's no reason why you can't weigh daily. You could also use weightgrapher.com to see your moving average weight along with your daily weight.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. It's not a problem unless your freak out every time you see a rise in numbers. Weight fluctuates, weighing everyday gives me an idea about the direction in which it is going
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday as well. I do it to keep track and understand trends, seeing the fluctuation allows me to know if I am doing the right thing or the wrong thing. I think it can be helpful as long as the numbers aren't constantly freaking you out and you don't go running from the bathroom screaming or crying... :)
  • lenos33
    lenos33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning and every night. It helps me stay on track.
    Linda
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I weight everyday too. I do it because I want to make sure I'm doing the right things since I'm kinda new to the whole weight loss process. And if I see a tiny fluctuation, I don't let it bother me
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and usually at night...it keeps me focused and on track. It does not work for everybody but obviously it is working for me.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning as well.

When I first started, I became obsessed with the scale and would be so upset if it didn't show a loss each time. It got very bad, so I had to take the scale out of the bathroom so I wouldn't see it each morning and put it in an unused room. When I finally starting understanding fluctations, I put it back in the bathroom.
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days too. The daily changes don't upset me but it makes me feel in control knowing I am going to check my weight everyday. Whatever the scale says on Thursday morning is the weight I enter into MFP.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't matter as long as you feel good!

Before you step on the scale, look in the mirror and tell yourself it doesn't matter what it says cause you look awesome.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every day, but it's not the way I measure my progress. It's just one of a wide variety of metrics to track progress. Hell, I'm not even trying to lose weight.
  • jus_Taryn
    jus_Taryn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. Sometimes it makes me upset that I've gained weight but I also reminds me thats what happens when I don't eat clean and eat out all the time. I know measurements and pictures are where the real progress is shown. Try taking pictures in too tight clothes and measure yourself once a month. good luck on your journey!
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, and usually know what to expect given whatever I did the day before. It helps keep me accountable.

This.

Also, though I weigh myself everyday and maybe even many times a day, I do not let the fluctuations get to me :smile:

And I only record the weight I get on my official weigh in days.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    As long as you understand weight fluctuations and don't let them bother you, there's nothing wrong with weighing every day. If you have emotional reactions to "gains" that are just normal fluctuations, you should probably put it away, but otherwise, there's no reason why you can't weigh daily. You could also use weightgrapher.com to see your moving average weight along with your daily weight.

^this. i weigh everyday but i keep a record of it along with a note of what i did the day before that was unusual, eating or exercise. it helps me to see patterns and see where i need to make improvements.

if it doesnt cause issues mentally for you, lead to disordered eating or obsession, Realize each day will have fluctuations, even if you did everything 'right' yesterday, then weighing each day isnt a problem.
  • Thommothebear
    Thommothebear Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. provided you understand your body's weight fluctuates considerably throughut the day/week cycle and don't get freaked out by it why not? The overall trend is what counts.
  • kaogirlup
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it on a spreadsheet. Then, when I seem to be stuck at a weight for 2 weeks, I can look back and say, "That's ok...it has happened every month for the past year...2 weeks without losing a thing and then BAM...3-4 pounds fall off all at once. Your hard work will pay off, and those stubborn pounds will come off...just give it a few more days."