Why can't I resist hopping on the scales EVERY morning?

Options
13»

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If by scale, you mean 5'8" redhead.. I have that jumping on every morning problem too.
  • palmerb2
    palmerb2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have two scales in my bathroom. One is an old digital one that I get on daily to monitor my ups and downs looking for trends. The other is my Withings scale I got for Christmas last year. I only use it for official weigh ins as I have it set to automatically update this site.
  • palmerb2
    palmerb2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If by scale, you mean 5'8" redhead.. I have that jumping on every morning problem too.

lol
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I feel like weighing myself every day helps me stay accountable. I weigh myself in the morning before I hop in the shower and in the evening before I go to bed. .
    Me too. I ignore the variances (even the huge TOM ones) and look for the downward trend and weigh in 'officially' on Saturdays.
  • IouliaN
    IouliaN Posts: 16
    Options
    I weigh in every day - it helps me gage how I am doing and identify things that are working vs. not.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do it quite intentionally. I've never understood why "experts" say not to do it, when studies show that people who have lost weight and successfully keep if off weigh every day. (To me those are the real experts.)

My guess is because some people freak out when they see a .4 lb gain and either decide that they can't lose weight or decide they're eating too much and slash calories further and further.

If you're the type of person where seeing a small gain will upset you, don't weigh daily. Otherwise, feel free.
  • Wantingslim
    Options
    Bump
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's only a problem if it affects you mentally for the rest of the day. I am still in losing mode and these last 10 lbs seem to be taking forever to go away, so weighing every day is not good for me. I understand the science behind daily fluctuations, but it still frustrates me a little, therefore, not worth the daily weigh in. I put my scale away in the closet where it's not easily accessible. I have made a vow not to weigh in until Nov. 1. But feel free to weigh in everyday if you like to and it doesn't affect your whole day or feel like you want to give up. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I am planning on switching to daily weighing once I reach GW.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life I got into daily weighing this past summer. That was never a problem; previously I always had the opposite issue, almost never weighing. I was losing fast, and it was exciting to watch the poundage melting off.

After about two months I got sick of it though; it was becoming an obsession. I asked my wife to hide the scale TWICE (I found it accidentally). It broke the habit. I've known where the scale is for while now, but I've not stepped on it since mid August. I'm tracking my weight currently through visual changes and clothing. I've decided not to get back on the scale again until a certain pair of old jeans I have fit loosely.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. I know people say you shouldn't, but I can't help it either. It eats at me all morning until I get on the scale and check.

There is nothing wrong with checking the scales every day as long as you maintain perspective about it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Move the scale.

I also was weighing myself every day and coming up disappointed and obsessive, so I decided to not weigh for a whole month. It was very liberating.