What shoes do you lift in?

Options
13»

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    bumping for reference.

I was lifting in my running shoes because I didn't know any better. I have switched to my other sneakers, and while better, I need to get some Chucks soon.
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously don't wear heels.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I deadlift in Merrell trail runners. They are very flat and the laces snug the show really tight to your foot. I bench and squat in hard-soled olympic lifting heeled shoes. They have broad soles and limit lateral movement of your foot which is great for heavy squatting.

For general lifting though, chucks are great. I've seen a number of people lifting in work boots which are nice for squatting as well.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My vibrams! They are cheap, on sale for forty dollars. I feel better doing squats in them. It just feels natural. And they have a little grip to them. They should last about three or more years, so about twelve dollars a year. Only down side, I do cardio in them and they get a little stinky after a few days... they are machine washable though. I wash mine every second day and after a year they are still holding strong.

Just don't drop a plate on your foot.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike Romaleos in the obnoxious tennis ball yellow. I use them for all the big lifts, except for Deadlifts which I do in socks.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    reebok crossfit nano-3
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    OP, yes, you are right. Chuck's are a terrible choice if you have plantar fasciitis. If you are wearing custom orthotics (you should be) finding the right shoe to support the orthotic is important so your foot stays where it needs to be. Merrill's are a pretty good choice. We have a patient in our office that wears his merrill's with orthotics for crossfit and also puts orthotics in his olympic lifting shoes. He has had great success and no longer has heel or arch pain.

If you aren't wearing orthotics, you will need a shoe with some support and a low but not ZERO heel to toe offset. I honestly think a proper pair of Olympic lifting shoes is a great idea because of the heel lift.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I did buy a cheap pair of Chucks, figuring they are better than the socks I have been wearing. However, I still want to buy some lifting shoes. I went to D1cks tonight and they don't keep them in store so I guess I will have to order something online. I hope they fit and are comfortable.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Vibram FiveFingers
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I prefer court shoes personally - volleyball or basketball. I currently own a pair of Asics. Running shoes do not have enough stability for me.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have the Nike Romaleos in the obnoxious tennis ball yellow. I use them for all the big lifts, except for Deadlifts which I do in socks.

The colour is called Volt :P

I have white Romaleos and dark grey ones as well. I also have a pair of AdiStars from 04 and Adidas weightlifting shoes from 1999?

It's much easier to OHP when wearing oly shoes. It's definitely different when you are wearing Nike Frees and pressing heavy. The shoes just crumple...

Koing
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The colour is called Volt :P

"obnoxious tennis ball yellow" is more accurate LOL

It's much easier to OHP when wearing oly shoes. It's definitely different when you are wearing Nike Frees and pressing heavy. The shoes just crumple...

I agree. I wear mine when I bench as well. The extra stability helps with leg drive.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibram FFs, specifically the Bikila model, without socks, to do my lifts.

But, I dust a generous amount of foot-powder all over my feet, including between the toes, before each use. I also wash the VFFs (in the washing machine) every two weeks. Although I run very infrequently, whenever I do, the same shoes work just fine for me.

Have been using them for almost three years. Shoes little to no signs of wear.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I do everything in my nike cross trainers. Lifting, zumba, running, cycling.