Sensitive to ALL foods, almost!

Options
Anyone else experience this? before i begin-I have PCOS and congenital adrenal hyperplasia just btw. When I eat most foods, my body blows up and i become lethargic. This includes any sugar, any grains (even gluten-free!) and even fruit. I have no idea why my body is so sensitive-any explanations? Even all the diets recommended for my health issues allow small amounts of grains/carbs that are healthy such as slice of ezekial bread-but that doesnt work well for me. Or brown rice. I can basically eat veggies and proteins (NOT fatty such as grown beef-i get super nauseous) and even many other proteins make me very nauseous especially if eaten alone with just a veggie. But if i eat it witih a carb oh well then i have a much worse feeling! Now doctors will call me crazy but after i eat carbs such as pasta or bread i feel like its harder for me to breath as if there is something constricting my airway (sounds like an allergic reaction, but wouldnt that be crazy!??) So, if anyone has any insite to help me put all these crazy pieces together, i will be SOOOO happy! TIA!!!!!!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor and get allergy tested
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    As crazy as this sounds, I had a similar breathing problem related to drinking liquids that produced flem such as milk and even some bottled juices. I was on a strickly spring water diet. Which wasnt a bad thing, but oddly enough the cause of this freakish symptom was anxiety disorder.
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Anyone else experience this? before i begin-I have PCOS and congenital adrenal hyperplasia just btw. When I eat most foods, my body blows up and i become lethargic. This includes any sugar, any grains (even gluten-free!) and even fruit. I have no idea why my body is so sensitive-any explanations? Even all the diets recommended for my health issues allow small amounts of grains/carbs that are healthy such as slice of ezekial bread-but that doesnt work well for me. Or brown rice. I can basically eat veggies and proteins (NOT fatty such as grown beef-i get super nauseous) and even many other proteins make me very nauseous especially if eaten alone with just a veggie. But if i eat it witih a carb oh well then i have a much worse feeling! Now doctors will call me crazy but after i eat carbs such as pasta or bread i feel like its harder for me to breath as if there is something constricting my airway (sounds like an allergic reaction, but wouldnt that be crazy!??) So, if anyone has any insite to help me put all these crazy pieces together, i will be SOOOO happy! TIA!!!!!!

The PCOS is common, but adrenal hyperplasia is definitely a contributing factor.

Sounds like a definite food allergy/sensitivity.
  • sallyann123
    sallyann123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As crazy as this sounds, I had a similar breathing problem related to drinking liquids that produced flem such as milk and even some bottled juices. I was on a strickly spring water diet. Which wasnt a bad thing, but oddly enough the cause of this freakish symptom was anxiety disorder.

i was considering that, but why would it happen only after very specific circumstances?
  • sallyann123
    Options

The PCOS is common, but adrenal hyperplasia is definitely a contributing factor.

Any recommendations?!
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor so I can't give any recommendations because I am not an expert in these types of conditions... if it were training or nutrition related, I would.

My advice is to see an allergist.

Sorry - good luck.

Any recommendations?!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

i was considering that, but why would it happen only after very specific circumstances?

I couldnt tell you, I never found out why i was getting them. I still get anxiety attacks here and there, but the breathing problem went away and never came back, so i can drink whatever i want again. But i know the feeling of being scared to eat/drink something and it sucks, so i feel your pain.
  • sallyann123
    Options
    isnt it ALOT of symptoms tho?!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation of getting allergy tested. A lot of women with PCOS are sensitive to sugars and certain types of carbs so it could be related to that. I have an allergy to certain grains that causes breathlessness too.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You should find a doctor who will do a full blood allergy test for you (an osteopath would be a good choice). My mother had this done at the beginning of the year (due to Barrett's esophagus and other health problems) and found out she was allergic or sensitive to a grip of foods. Eliminating those foods has resolved her debilitating acid reflux and she's lost a ton of weight (without counting calories). See a doc and best of luck!
  • sallyann123
    Options
    so not an endocronologist, right? cuz mine just blow it off as you have weight issues and hormonal issues...i suppose i cld eliminate all these on my own to feel good but i find it odd to be so sensitive to so much. hoping there was something to connect it all and i could take care of the source of these issues, vs being allergic and just avoiding most food groups............thanks everyone who has contributed to this convo so far!
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    so not an endocronologist, right? cuz mine just blow it off as you have weight issues and hormonal issues...i suppose i cld eliminate all these on my own to feel good but i find it odd to be so sensitive to so much. hoping there was something to connect it all and i could take care of the source of these issues, vs being allergic and just avoiding most food groups............thanks everyone who has contributed to this convo so far!

You might try an osteopath instead of or in addition to your other docs. I like DOs because they look at your problems from both a medical and natural/holistic perspective. I've always found them to be better at looking for the root cause instead of just treating symptoms (but this is just my personal experience of course). You might find that once you identify the foods you're truly allergic to (via blood test) you may be able to eat many of the foods you think you can't tolerate right now. Food allergies can make your body react in some unexpected ways.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    perhaps you react to FODMAPS (it's something that causes IBS in a large number of sufferers http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet) or salicylates (http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/. Yes, get allergy tested first, but if it is not an allergy those might worth checking out.
  • sallyann123
    Options
    perhaps you react to FODMAPS (it's something that causes IBS in a large number of sufferers http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet) or salicylates (http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/. Yes, get allergy tested first, but if it is not an allergy those might worth checking out.

thanks sounds like i will need to do some googleing to figure out what those are! :)