Maintaining Weight

My weight fluctuates ten pounds. I usually run twice in the day on a treadmill and burn around 300 calories after each run. If I end up drinking water or Gatorade my weight sky rockets. Why is that? Or even food. Does my body just hold on to fluids and food longer now because of my longer more intense runs? I feel the same as if I weigh 177 and when I do at 180. I am not trying to be a worry wart, but does this happen to a lot of runners. Also, is running one of the best fat burners a person could do? How does someone know if they gained fat or if its just water weight.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Are you weighing yourself directly after a run and then after eating/drinking? If so, the lower weight is probably a reflection of the water lost while running.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Nobody's weight is going to be constant. And those who exercise will flux more. Look up glycogen stores.

If you want to be sure the weight your getting rid of is fat I would do heavy lifting
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I'm going to guess (just a guess) that your body is very sensitive to big rushes of sugar, as you get in gatorade. Gatorade also lots of different salts. That's why it's good - it replaces things you use when you work out.

If you want to experiment, so if you bounce that much if you drink unsweetened mint tea, or water with lemon, or something else that's wet but not sweet and loaded with salts of different types.

Also, any problem with your kidneys? (Don't worry, I'm just asking. Some people are more sensitive than others.) Everyone fluctuates, but that's kind of a lot of fluctuation - it would be 10 pints of water. Do your ankles swell or do your rings get tight?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Try weighing your self first thing each morning; after going to the toilet and before eating; naked. Those are the weight amounts you should watch. Log your weight once a week on the same day. Everyone's weight varies all day depending on all things you mentioned.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I agree with the posts above about the weight fluctuation. You mention a 10lb flux, but only give an example of 3lbs. A 3lb fluctuation throughout the day is totally normal. As far as the running goes, I don't find it to be the most effective fat burner. For me, I see better results with HIIT and circuit/strength training. I like to throw running into the mix, but don't use it solely for burning fat. I also don't see a reason for needing to run twice a day. I like to work out twice a day, but it is two different workouts.