I tested out Couch to 5k today...

Options
Just to see what I could do. There are eight 60-second running intervals on Week 1 Day 1, and I made it through five of them before my chest started hurting, I couldn't breathe, and I had to walk the rest of the time. But you know what? I'm super proud of myself!!! I know I'll be able to run a little more each time. I was pleasantly surprised that I made it through those five! I only thought I'd make it through two.

Six months or a year ago, or all the times in the past that I'd test out Couch to 5k, I could barely make it the first 60-second interval before I felt like I was going to die. And no way could I do another 60-second interval. I'd have to walk the rest of the way. Then I'd put C25K out of my mind for months.

But I'm ready now. I need a new challenge to help me lose the rest of my weight. So what if I have to repeat weeks of C25k? I will never give up. I officially start tomorrow.

Replies

• AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just had a message about it and I may try it really soon !!

Good work by the way !!
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Woohoo, go you! I love C25K! :drinker:
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You can do it. I started in late May of this year and it took me 12 weeks to complete C25K. Most people are so gung ho that they won't redo weeks. I redid week 3 and I redid week 5 twice! Now I can run for an hour straight (over 5 miles) without stopping. Don't go too fast, run at a conversational pace.
  • cicamuz
    cicamuz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to do that first week ;-) I stuck with it through sun, rain and snow (not ice though!) and 18 months later I did my 1st half marathon in 2 hours and 55 seconds (damn those seconds!!!)
  • echoesmyron
    echoesmyron Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you and stick with it!
    Re-do weeks if you feel you need to and don't give up.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Heh, I did a whole blog post a week or two ago about repeating. I'm still on day 1 and I don't care. I'm going to stick with day 1 until 8 intervals comes naturally. :D Right now I can manage 3. Keep up the great work!
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    SO proud of you!! :) I did the C25K program too and definitely had to repeat days/weeks in the process, but in the end it was totally worth it. Running a 5k is now part of my regular workout. Keep it going!
  • mel_2812
    mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    C25K was hard for me...I remember thinking ''I won't be able to get to the end''.

I pushed through it and I stopped at end of week 7 because I got a new training program from a personal trainer and unfortunately, don't have enough time to continue with C25K.

I still run though and I actually enjoy it! I run for 20ish minutes straight and could continue longer...thanks to C25K!

I was going to fast when I first started but I slowed down a bit and now, I have no problem at all getting to the 20 minutes markup!

It really works, if I can do it, you can too! Believe me, I couldn't run for 30 seconds straight, I was so out of shape...and now, look at me, running 20 minutes! Never in my life I would thought this possible.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I really want to start C25K too. I keep putting it off, mostly because it's still in hot and rainy mode where I live. I love hearing how so many people who never were runners get into running because of it!
  • mloumason
    mloumason Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded this app today my dad is a runner so i would like to surprise him and do a 5k with him come this spring. So I'm now in the market to find a running stroller.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! i'm on week 1 for the second week in a row, myself. it is getting a teensy weensy bit easier each time. I've never ran before this, so it'll probably just take me a little longer. but dammit, i'm gonna finish it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    great job. I tried it out yesterday. I was only able to run the first two before having to go to my car to puff my inhaler. lol baby steps. I wanna run so bad but I know I'm still too big for it.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You can do it.

I started 7 times before I finally finished the program a couple weeks ago.

The difference for me was to go slow through the runs.

There's a c25k group on here that really helped keep me going.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great job! Be careful, you could get addicted :)
  • Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    Running a 5k is on my bucket list... right now my priorities are shifted just for the time being... I have a tremendous amount of stress,,,reviewing for the boards,, and keeping as healthy as I can while going through the process. My exam is end of Oct., after i take it and pass, I will be able focus on myself and start the C25K!! that is my goal, and I cant wait!!

I am very active on mfp, I post, and comment.. and love hearing from friends.... SO .. if your interested in having me as a friend!... add me! I have 70lbs to lose!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Schellie :flowerforyou:
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

I'm in week 3. It's taken me about six to get there - lol (some repeats, some weeks of just being a slacker) and I can't decide if I'm going to repeat it or not. Week 4 is a pretty significant jump in run time, so I may need to hold off another week or two.

It's such a great excuse to be outside in the lovely fall weather we've been having, and my dog loves it too!
  • JimBarnhartMN
    JimBarnhartMN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I don't use the formal C25K, but I'm proud to say I RAN 5K (ran the whole way, no walking) on Saturday and did it in 28:40. When I started in February I could only walk for 20 minutes.
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I downloaded the app today and will start tomorrow! add me if you want I will be documenting my progress, good luck!
  • Directionerme
    Options
    i use C25K and i LOVE it. its easy for me to use. and asthma keeps me from running far but after C25K i am now able t orunn longer distants.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!