Running and not losing weight

I started running again two weeks again along with healthy eating ( 1550 ) calories a day and ... my weight wont budge it has gone up 200 grams this week and it just wont move. The past two days have been a little over eating wise but other than that I have been really good with my food but still no movement. Anyone else had/have this issue with running. I used to run but can not remember if this happened. I have 20 kg to lose and I love to run so I am hoping this would help move the kgs.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379 Member
    Yep.

If you are new to running, or returning to it from a break, your body will be storing water in the damaged tissues.

It is normal, and common.

Give it 2 weeks and you should lose that water weight and the true fat loss will be revealed.
  • Vicw24
    Vicw24 Posts: 8
    Thank you for your reply, really helps to know its not going "wrong" so to speak. I will just keep at it. Loving the freedom of getting out there again.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379 Member
    Yep it's great and we are at about the same point. I started running again a few weeks back and yesterday started C25k. It is a great program if you are interested :)

Enjoy your running and best of luck with the fat loss.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Having the same problem. Been running for a bout a month now, scale won't cooperate. BUT my jeans fit much better, I feel great, the weight can't stick around forever! Will take some extra patience but the run is worth it.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    As long as you are eating enough protein (perhaps a lot more than MFP suggests so I suggest you Google it) you will be also putting on lean mass which could give you the illusion your efforts are not working effective when in reality you are losing body fat and adding lovely toned muscle :-)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    I started running again two weeks again along with healthy eating ( 1550 ) calories a day and ... my weight wont budge it has gone up 200 grams this week and it just wont move. The past two days have been a little over eating wise but other than that I have been really good with my food but still no movement. Anyone else had/have this issue with running. I used to run but can not remember if this happened. I have 20 kg to lose and I love to run so I am hoping this would help move the kgs.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I am not sure how you calculate your caloric burn rate from running, but you may find this article interesting:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

For the record, running was my primary exercise last fall when I was trying to lose weight. I achieved my weight loss goal fairly quickly and have maintained my goal weight all year while running/lifting. I use a TDEE model that includes a running calculation utilizing the formula in the above article as applied to my training schedule.
  • sealion59
    sealion59 Posts: 2 Member
    The scales aren't going to be nice for a while well that's what I found, but your clothes will start to be too big. Your cardio fitness will need to improve first and when you forget about the scales and concentrate on the running distance by time it'll come back to you quickly. then the weight will have gone before you know it. I've dropped 15 kg ( 30 odd lbs ) with month long plateaus at weight level's in the last nine months. I do find running in the real world to be the best at weight loss the gym's treadmill is as effective. Keep it up just remember it take's time.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 350 Member
    The scales aren't going to be nice for a while well that's what I found, but your clothes will start to be too big. Your cardio fitness will need to improve first and when you forget about the scales and concentrate on the running distance by time it'll come back to you quickly. then the weight will have gone before you know it. I've dropped 15 kg ( 30 odd lbs ) with month long plateaus at weight level's in the last nine months. I do find running in the real world to be the best at weight loss the gym's treadmill is as effective. Keep it up just remember it take's time.

Sealion, you are correct. I recently intensified my training, and while my weight dropped two pounds, it's plateaued for a few weeks now, but my clothes are getting more loose! I have a pair of running shorts that used to be tight, and now won't stay on.
    I highly recommend taking your measurements and tracking your progress with that.
  • How much running are you doing? If you are only running half of a mile then no you won't see much change. If you are running 5 miles then your body is holding on to water.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Having the same problem. Been running for a bout a month now, scale won't cooperate. BUT my jeans fit much better, I feel great
    How is this a problem? :huh: :tongue:

Jeans fitting much better is reason to laugh at your scale and start tracking with your measuring tape! Take progress photos too. Often you'll see progress in pics and on the tape while the scale is busy trying to mess with your head. No one sees a scale number but you, but anyone can see better fitting clothes and a fitter bod.

Keep up the good work!
  • Vicw24
    Vicw24 Posts: 8
    HI all, thank you so much for your help.
    I calculate my calories burned using my HRM. I am running the c25km program at the moment, but I do in within a 5km walk run, then I run more of it after I have completed the required intervals ( if that makes any sense) I ran 1 km solid on saturday. so its possibly 3kms of running 2 of walking atm but that will change as the training increases.

Thank you all so much for the reinforcement I am doing the right thing I really was a bit deflated today when I weighed in and I have gained 900 grams. I will take my measurements if things dont start to improve. but I have noticed my legs seem to be getting a little smaller.
  • Lunaluna01
    Lunaluna01 Posts: 21 Member
    Hi, I had a similar thing. Was running 4-5 times a week and on 1,200 calories and didn't see much change for 2 weeks (only had 12lbs to loose). My body seems to take 2 weeks to start to put on weight but also 2 weeks to start to loose weight. On other diets it is the 2 week stage where I give up but have decided to stick at it this time and have now lost 6lbs in about 4-5 weeks.

However what seemed to really have made a difference has been giving up alcohol for the last 3 weeks. Even though I was counting my bottle of wine over the weekend in my calorie intake I think it really messed with my metabolism. I have also added a longer run at the weekend and feel great for it.

My motto is now persistence beats resistance, so keep at it and eventually your body will surrender and the weight will start to drop off.

Good luck :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    According to your ticker, you've lost weight so you have been doing something right. If your eating habits are the same, then you just need to be patient while you run. I'd suggest staying away from the scale for awhile and just being patient with what your body wants to do.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    As long as you are eating enough protein (perhaps a lot more than MFP suggests so I suggest you Google it) you will be also putting on lean mass which could give you the illusion your efforts are not working effective when in reality you are losing body fat and adding lovely toned muscle :-)

No, she is not putting on muscle. Adding muscle is hard enough for women to do when they're eating at a surplus and lifting heavy weights. It will not happen from running and eating at a deficit.

OP, I agree that it's probably water weight from muscle repair.