How long will losing 30lbs take?

Options
I just need to know, so I can see how long I need to diet and excersize my way to my goal. It's so tiring :(

I do cardio for an hour everyday if not on rest days.
My rest days are between 3 days , rest, 2 days rest, loop.
I also do strength training, and I try to get -calories from each day.

I was just wondering, what are your guys estimation for losing 30lbs?
how many weeks perhaps?

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    at 1 lb/week.....around 30 weeks.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    By May! If you go hard!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No idea. My crystal ball isn't working tonight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose and how big your calorie deficit is.
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but with me I lost 38lbs in about 4 months but I also went cold turkey on all soda, only drink water, no meats at all, and walk/jogged every day for 5-8 miles....
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if you're only interested to know how long you have to keep dieting and exercising until you reach your goal, you probably will gain it back.

This isn't a quick fix- it's not a magical thing that once you stop you're done forever. It's a lifestyle change. You need to stick with these healthy habits for life. I don't want to be rude or discouraging, just want you to know. Good luck with it!
  • landonfloen
    landonfloen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the starting point. It took me 8 weeks to lose my first 30lbs but I started very heavy after gaining a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Its not unusual to lose 5-10 lbs in the first week. Although a large portion of that is salt, water and different toxins. After the initial first few weeks a goal of 1-2lbs of fat loss a week is the usual.

Some info to help us give you a better estimate would be sex, age, training age, current diet, type of training current bodyfat % etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    at 1 lb/week.....around 30 weeks.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I want to lose 30lbs by christmas. I've done it before without excersize but I was 20 years old then. Sadly gained it back when I was drinking alcohol all the time with friends. I was 160lbs plus or who knows how much I was. Then I saw myself in pictures and decided to go at it again. So the answer to the one saying it's for a better lifestyle, yes. Everybody on here wants to lose weight, it's just an estimation of what will come. Learning won't hurt. Some people lose 5lbs every week. So I'm trying to research on what will be if I keep trying. Maintaining weight is fine, as long as you don't overeat. Losing weight at a higher age, is the problem. My eyes are finally awakened from the reality of it, and it sucks. lol
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I'm sorry but if you're only interested to know how long you have to keep dieting and exercising until you reach your goal, you probably will gain it back.

This isn't a quick fix- it's not a magical thing that once you stop you're done forever. It's a lifestyle change. You need to stick with these healthy habits for life. I don't want to be rude or discouraging, just want you to know. Good luck with it!

This.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I want to lose 30lbs by christmas. I've done it before without excersize but I was 20 years old then. Sadly gained it back when I was drinking alcohol all the time with friends. I was 160lbs plus or who knows how much I was. Then I saw myself in pictures and decided to go at it again. So the answer to the one saying it's for a better lifestyle, yes. Everybody on here wants to lose weight, it's just an estimation of what will come. Learning won't hurt. Some people lose 5lbs every week. So I'm trying to research on what will be if I keep trying. Maintaining weight is fine, as long as you don't overeat. Losing weight at a higher age, is the problem. My eyes are finally awakened from the reality of it, and it sucks. lol

Yes at the advanced old age of 25 it can be really hard to take the weight off. Not likely with only 30 lbs to lose you'll be losing 5 lbs a week. Be happy with 1 pound a week and lose safely.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I want to lose 30lbs by christmas.

good luck. this will be very difficult to do and doing so would likely be very unhealthy.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I lost 20 pounds in 3 months. The hard part is that weight fluctuates by day, even by time of day .... it's not a static thing and the best you can expect is to see a downward trend in it. That 20 pounds came off in less than 3 months, truthfully, but it's been wanting to plateau or creep back up, so I'm struggling a bit to get through this period or readjustment so the weight will continue to come off. If you are like me ... 30 pounds in the next 9 or 10 weeks is kind of an unreasonable expectation. Sorry to say this. Good luck.
  • loveanddestroyx
    loveanddestroyx Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26lbs in 2.5 months... then again, my weight is in the 300's so...
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think it is going to depend on how hard you work at it. It has taken me nearly ten years to lose 35 lbs, but I have been really sporadic with my eating habits.
  • mgraves03
    Options
    Well, In 4 weeks I lost 13 pounds....I only drink water ( and milk with cereal). I do not eat fried foods but only once every two weeks. I make sure that I eat a green veggie every day, at least twice a day and overall eat under 1500/1600 calories a day. I walk three times a week and the weight is coming off!
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 36 lbs and I started Jan 30. If that helps any :bigsmile: I average about a pound a week and I had 1 plateau just recently that lasted 5 wks. But of course, every one is going to be different.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    How long do you want it to stay lost? You can lose it quickly through ill-advised methods, but you'll gain it back quickly. Or you can make a permanent lifestyle change and let the process take as long as it needs to take. Be realistic, you didn't gain those 30 pounds overnight, you're not going to lose them overnight. But if you cultivate smart habits that you will continue after you're at your goal, you won't ever have to lose them again. That means tracking your calories in and calories out accurately, and adjusting those numbers so that when you need to lose weight, you take in fewer calories than you expend. And you have to do it consistently, a cycle of deprivation and compensatory binging will result in very slow, if any, weight loss.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just hit 30 lbs this week. So... 4 months. 130ish days. Everyone loses differently and at different rates. Just be patient and keep working hard and it'll happen.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well, In 4 weeks I lost 13 pounds....I only drink water ( and milk with cereal). I do not eat fried foods but only once every two weeks. I make sure that I eat a green veggie every day, at least twice a day and overall eat under 1500/1600 calories a day. I walk three times a week and the weight is coming off!

This. 1 month progress. Very nice!
    At least it can be done when not in teen years. :)
    It's called sacrifice, but with common obedience it can be handled.