Surprise Gain - Feeling Depressed Today

I was away on holiday from Sunday of last week, until yesterday, and I was very proud of myself for having stuck to my targets throughout my holiday. I had one day where I was over my calorie limit after inputting dinner, so I went out for a 45 minute brisk walk, in order to bring my total back inside the day's allowance. We also did three strenuous hill-walks (one of them involved an hour of scrambling up a 75 degree mountaintop, with chains on our boots in order to grip into the bracken-covered ground!), plus a lot of other walking on the flat.

We did have a complete blow-out last night, when a couple of friends came around, and we got a takeaway from Dominos, but even at the outside, that shouldn't have made a difference of more than half a pound. I usually weigh myself on Monday, so I hadn't weighed in after the previous week, but I was expecting to have lost probably two or three pounds that week (the previous weeks were five pounds, four pounds and three pounds, in that order). I thought that I would have at least managed to stay the same this last week, so I would be seeing the loss from the previous week when I weighed myself this morning. Instead, I am six pounds heavier than I was two weeks ago!

I don't know what to think. Could I have put on that much muscle? Could I be carrying water? Is it to do with my time of the month? I am feeling very disappointed and disheartened this morning.

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379 Member
    Probably water weight. Dominos are salt laden. Check your TOM too :).
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    You had dominoes pizza last night. It's sodium water retention, give it a couple of days and you'll be back to normal.
  • Liz75
    Liz75 Posts: 80 Member
    Don't be too hard on yourself! I think you've outlined what it could have been. You've lost a lot of weight previous weeks, 5,4,3 lbs, maybe your body is adjusting somehow..some of that weight might be muscle as you said.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Could be water because of salt TOM or natural fluctuation probably a mixture of the three plus not accurately logging during hol's why worry it won't change anything just carry on and maybe you'll get a quick loss to cheer you up!
  • Hezza1506
    Hezza1506 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks guys. I have been doing really well in recent months with not getting too caught up in my weight (a real danger for me due to my eating disorder history), and I was teetering this morning. It's great to know that you are out there, supporting me.

Seriously, thanks!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    There could be many reasons increase in exercise will make you put on weight temporarily. Unknown foods and more pre processed can make you retain. Just traveling can effect your weight. Don't panic just do what you were doing before your holiday and it will settle down over the next couple of weeks