Meatless meals (without peas or chick peas)

Options
I have a child who is allergic to green peas and has had a reaction to chick peas. We are wanting to go meatless for 5 dinners a week but I have noticed that alot of vegetarian meals have those in them. I need some ideas or recipes that don't have those two items or lentil flour in them. Thanks!

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    have you tried black beans? or tofu.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    brown rice with veggies and mushrooms mixed in
    oats with add ins-the possibilities are endless on what you can do!
    'taco' salad with lettuce, black olives, tomato, diced onion, ground flax seed, warmed up refried beans and then a splash of hot sauce or ranch dressing (you can also add a few crumbled up tortilla chips to give it some crunch)
    couscous with veggies mixed in
    grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup
    vegetarian chili (you can make it or just buy canned)
    egg scrambles-scramble eggs and then add veggies, cheese, mushrooms etc

Here's my favorite vegetarian recipe blog-she does amazing things with oatmeal :happy:
    http://www.theoatmealartist.com/
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    vegetarian tostada with avocado. It's my go-to meatless meal.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/pf48b81a/vegetarian-tostadas-with-avocado-and-cheese.html
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorite go-to vegetarian blogs:

www.lunchboxbunch.com

www.ohsheglows.com

www.heathfulpursuit.com

www.thugkitchen.com (if you can read beyond all the expletives!)

Tempeh, Tofu, Nutritional Yeast, Rice, Cashew based sauces--all of these are great chickpea-free protein boosters in vegetarian meals!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,671 Member
    Options
    Soupe Au Pistou is my favourite vegetarian main. Typical recipe here, but you will find more if you google.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wolfgang-puck/provencal-vegetable-soup-soupe-au-pistou-recipe/index.html

It's essentially vegetable soup with a good dollop of pesto in each bowl. I normally just use a bag of frozen veg with some chopped fresh tomatoes. If it is too much work to make the pesto yourself, but it from a good deli. If your son reacts to white beans (in most traditional recipes) just leave them out.

Another favourite meatless meal is bagna calda, which doesn't contain legumes but does need the anchovy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bagnacauda_79923

Also quiche and fondue.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/pf48b81a/vegetarian-tostadas-with-avocado-and-cheese.html

Oh! I'm baking tostadas tonight!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    What about dairy, can he have dairy? ... You said vegetarian, not vegan.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have you tried other legumes or just chickpeas and peas? What about soybeans (tofu) and peanuts?

- Zucchini stuffed with herbed breadcrumbs, mushrooms, spinach, w/ cheese on top. YUM! Kiddo inhaled it and we loved it too.
    - Eggplant and zucchini lasagna--Omg good
    - Stuffed acorn or butternut squash (apples, onions, breadcrumbs or cornbread crumbs, kale, yum!)
    - Stuffed peppers (rice, tomato, onion, etc)
    - Cabbage pudding (layers of cabbage, bread, cheese with a white sauce...not light, but tasty!)
    - Pizza!! Just leave off the meat hehe. My kid's fave is antipasto pizza :D Artichoke hearts, olives, eggplant, sundried tomatoes, grilled peppers, etc. We like it on Lebanese bread for a crispy crust.
    - Mushroom stirfry w/ all sorts of veggies (just leave out the peas)
    - Veggie sushi (carrot, avocado, cucumber, tofu, egg, whatever)
    - Soup: pumpkin, cauliflower-parm, broccoli-cheese, veg minestrone, potato leek, carrot-ginger, corn chowder, wild mushroom, summer squash...the list is endless!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

Oh! I'm baking tostadas tonight!

Yummy! Save one for me! :drinker:
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes, he can have dairy. We are trying to cut out meat because of the price of it. We just can't afford to buy it anymore.
    What about dairy, can he have dairy? ... You said vegetarian, not vegan.
  • Amyirene74
    Options
    He can eat beans. He used to be allergic to soy but not anymore. I thought about trying tofu but I have to learn how to make it. Meat has just gotten so expensive that we can't afford to have it for dinner everyday anymore. My friend only eats meat once a week and everything is organic. She really seems to like it so I thought we would try that.
    Have you tried other legumes or just chickpeas and peas? What about soybeans (tofu) and peanuts?

- Zucchini stuffed with herbed breadcrumbs, mushrooms, spinach, w/ cheese on top. YUM! Kiddo inhaled it and we loved it too.
    - Stuffed acorn or butternut squash (apples, onions, breadcrumbs or cornbread crumbs, kale, yum!)
    - Cabbage pudding (layers of cabbage, bread, cheese with a white sauce...not light, but tasty!)
    - Pizza!! Just leave off the meat hehe. My kid's fave is antipasto pizza :D Artichoke hearts, olives, eggplant, sundried tomatoes, grilled peppers, etc. We like it on Lebanese bread for a crispy crust.
    - Soup: pumpkin, cauliflower-parm, broccoli-cheese, veg minestrone, potato leek, carrot-ginger, corn chowder, wild mushroom, summer squash...the list is endless!
  • Amyirene74
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great ideas!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    There's lots of recipes online, you can even visit allrecipes.com and look for vegetarian dishes.

Try a local vegetarian restaurant too- see what they have to offer on the menu and take mental notes.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    He can eat beans. He used to be allergic to soy but not anymore. I thought about trying tofu but I have to learn how to make it. Meat has just gotten so expensive that we can't afford to have it for dinner everyday anymore. My friend only eats meat once a week and everything is organic. She really seems to like it so I thought we would try that.

If you're trying to save money, tofu is as expensive or more so than meat. I don't bother with it and just eat other things :)
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    - Pasta Marinara
    - Veggie Pizza
    - Stir fried veggies and soba noodles
    - Dinner Salad (Put in every vegetable you can think of)
    - Bean Burritos
    - Veggie Lasagna (sometimes I replace the noodles with eggplant - mmmmmm)
    - Ratatoullie (basically eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, and onions layered up and baked)
    - Roasted Veggies (Sweet Potato, Russet Potato, Onion, Squash, and Zucchini tossed with brown sugar and molasses and baked in the oven)
    - Chickenless noodle soup (vegetable stock, noodles, carrots, onions, and celery)
    - Cold cut sandwiches (lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, pickles, peppers, etc)
    - Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup (I do the soup homemade and use fancy cheese)

Want me to keep going? I have been vegetarian for 12 years, and I hardly ever use beans)

- Minestrone
    - Corn and Potato Chowder (Cheese, Creamed Corn, and Canned Potatoes - mix and cook for 20 minutes)
    - Stuffed Cabbage Soup (I use TVP, but it's optional, Cabbage, tomato sauce, onions, carrots, green peppers)
    - Pumpkin Soup
    - Wild rice and mushroom sauce with green beans, corn, and carrots

**Edit**

Forgot to give some tofu cooking tips!
    Freeze it first, then defrost, it makes it chewier, and less "slimy"
    Use lots of towels and squeeze all of the water out - I make it as dry as possible (once again, not a fan of the softer texture)
    I like to pan fry it in hot oil until it's crispy and then coat with BBQ sauce.
    Sometimes I will also crumble it up and fry it with cheese, onions, and peppers, then wrap it in a burrito roll like a breakfast wrap.

The big thing is to use lots of spices. It doesn't have much of a flavor on its own - mostly just flavorless texture. So it is a blank slate, I use lots of salt and pepper, jerk seasoning if I'm BBQ-ing, curry and cumin if I'm going to serve it over rice with sauce a la Indian food.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to stretch the budget, I think tofu is a little pricey, as well as many of the other "meat alternatives". What about eggs? If you aren't going meatless for ethical reasons, they are pretty inexpensive. I like to use a lot of squash and sweet potatoes. Oatmeal and homemade soups are also great. Black beans are reasonably priced and there are lots of ways to incorporate them into meals - tacos, tostados, salads, enchiladas, casseroles. Have you also asked your friend what some of her favorite meals have been?

There are some great ideas in this thread - I also like thugkitchen.com and happyherbivore.com.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Chili: Beans of your choosing, hot chili beans and a can of crushed tomatoes plus desired spices.
    Black beans with cheese and salsa
    Rice, cous cous or quinoa with roasted veggies
    Pasta with loads of veggies
    Eggs and pancakes/French toast
    Are you counting seafood as meat? If not, shrimp stir fry is yummy
    Cheese (and/or beans) quesadillas/burritos/enchiladas
    Wraps made with guacamole and loads of veggies and cheese