I GUESS I DID IT?

Options
socrates02
socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
I have been lifting for about 4 months now I lost 19 lbs.Now I weight the same but Iam about 4-5 size smaller but weight the same I dont get it.

Replies

• heatedarrow
    Options
    It's called muscle. It weighs more than fat.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, I think. A pound is a pound.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I'm sure you understand what the reply meant, though...
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat, but it does take up less room on your body. So if you replaced fat with muscle, you will be smaller and tighter. Congratulations, you've done well!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you could be your "ideal" size and the scale never moved would it matter. Nope, so why fixate on a number. You are 4-5 sizes smaller that is a huge accomplishment. Just because the scale hasn't moved doesn't mean you didn't put in work, doesn't mean you aren't healthier, it doesn't mean you haven't accomplished a really good thing. Enjoy the victory of being healthier being able to buy smaller clothes and just keep working. If the scale moves great if it doesn't, your still doing more work them you use to.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    It's called muscle. It weighs more than fat.

It's called density. Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore more weight per unit volume.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense, so the same weight of muscle occupies less space than fat does.

http://www.shakeandmove.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/530958_10150804141721340_703666339_11787941_1300649508_n-300x231.jpg
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, but muscle is more dense than fat. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. One pound of muscle will look smaller in size than one pound of fat.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A2KK_eAdMWVST7UAcSybvZx4?p=one+pound+of+muscle+compared+to+one+pound+of+fat&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-900
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat, but it does take up less room on your body. So if you replaced fat with muscle, you will be smaller and tighter. Congratulations, you've done well!

Perfect way to put it. The whole "Fat weights more then Muscle" isn't a really good way to put it or look at it in my opinion. Nor is it really the truth.
  • heatedarrow
    Options
    Yes you are correct, that is what i meant. Sorry I should've been more explicit. Muscle occupies less space, and therefore while losing 5lb and gaining it back in muscle (as an example) you would appear to be leaner at the same weight.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. Keep at it!

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, which every rational person understands when they use/hear that phrase.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Excellent! By this logic granite doesn't weigh more then feathers... I hate it when people say that.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Please stop saying this. It hurts my brain. Do you think nothing weighs more than anything else because a pound is a pound?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    awesome! I don't care what i weight if I keep getting smaller! whoot whoot go you!!!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    Excellent! By this logic granite doesn't weigh more then feathers... I hate it when people say that.

Exactly. I really need to stop engaging in this argument but I just can't help myself.

ETA -- Congrats OP! A bit confused though -- you say you lost 19 lbs but weigh the same? Is this because a pound of you weighs the same as a pound of you? (sorry, couldn't resist).

Sometimes beginners to weight training can build some muscle on a deficit so maybe this is why you lost inches while remaining the same weight. That's even better than losing weight!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Please stop saying this. It hurts my brain. Do you think nothing weighs more than anything else because a pound is a pound?

Yup, me and an 800lb walrus weigh the same because 1 lb of me weighs the same as 1lb of it.
  • tkdgirlms
    Options
    So many people say this BUT 1 POUND of fat = 1 POUND of muscle....I don't get how so many people think a pound of fat is less then a pound of muscle. Somebody please explain that concept to me!!!???
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

Awesome work, well done & keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • heatedarrow
    Options
    So many people say this BUT 1 POUND of fat = 1 POUND of muscle....I don't get how so many people think a pound of fat is less then a pound of muscle. Somebody please explain that concept to me!!!???

Its not, when people say that they are referring to the density. Muscle is much more dense and "compact" when compared to fat. Therefore, the same amount of muscle takes up less space in your body, where fat tends to distribute more.
  • wild_wild_life
    Options

Yup, me and an 800lb walrus weigh the same because 1 lb of me weighs the same as 1lb of it.

Yes you weigh the same as a walrus but don't worry, I don't think anyone would say that to your face.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!