Pointers on incorporating diet into life at home?

Options

Replies

• lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Planning is key for me! Before I leave work during the day, I plan out my supper and log it. This way I have a plan and I stick to it. Do this for the weekend as well. Plan out what you are going to eat each day and it makes life so much easier!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    im not dieting. im eating right. 24-7. at work, at home, away from home. it works for me.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree planning out your day in advance, even by a day, if it is not in my plan or list it is not mine to eat. I had to realize I can eat anything and everything I want just not all on the same day. If I know I am going to eat out or be less in control in the evening then I eat less for breakfast, skip the morning snack and afternoon snacks and save those calories for the evening, or a beer or wine.

If going out I too look at the menu in advance, and log several choices, I load up my diary with all the things I think I might like. Depending on how my day goes calories and exercise I delete those items which will put me over or way over. Seeing the calories lined up waiting sort of helps, then when you get to the restaurant, don't even look at the menu, go with your pre picked choice.

When this is not working, I try to stick to a few simple rules, no fried foods and no stuffing myself to uncomfortable, these alone help reduce calories. Also, figure on taking some home, even if you box it when the meal arrives, I have done this too or ask the server to do this before it comes to the table.

Also if you think you can't keep in control, maybe eat at maintenance on the weekend, or figure maybe you are eating too few calories during the week and so now you have been making up for it on the weekend. If you have an aggressive calorie goal of 1300 during the week, maybe that daily total should be higher so you don't feel deprived and then going way over weekend.

And bottom line, you do have to make it an everyday (or nearly) everyday commitment, you said you are in the early stages of change, over time it does become more habit. I have been at this over a year now. Some days are a breeze and I am happy and satisfied with my choices, other days it is still hard...very hard. But shopping for 8-10's is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY better then barely fitting into 16-18's.
  • botaylor1166
    botaylor1166 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this for about 4 weeks now. I don't know how to stop this...it's very difficult. I'm a binge eater...I find the more I try and eat better the more I binge. I do well all week at work and then I go hoem and BAM...I'm eating everything. It's not as much through the week but definitely on the weekends. I will lose a couple lbs through the week and then put it back on the wekends and some. I have actually made an appointment with my doctor because I know I shouldn't be eatign this way but I'm havign a lot of trouble stopping myself. Good luck to you and keep me posted on what works for you! Add me as a friend if you like as well!!

Cheers
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I will work out harder on the weekend and stay more active. You will have more calories to eat and not feel so guilty. Don't stop logging.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Unlike a lot of people on here, I'd say I eat out fairly often, probably once a week. And if you're going to eat out, it doesn't have to ruin your day. I don't have cheat days and I stay below or at my calorie limit about 95% of the time. The key is definitely planning ahead, and a little bit of steering the conversation.

I make sure to keep about 1000 calories saved for the evening (not including a pop which I have at night. I log that in my morning calories) because I know that I'd rather have a light breakfast and lunch than a light dinner and go to bed hungry. Granted, I'm pretty heavy so I've got about 2,000 calories to work with every day. You might have to aim for a different goal. I know it can be hard, but if you want this to work you have to do this on the weekends too. When we're at home is generally the hardest part because all the food we own is right at our fingertips.

As far as steering the conversation goes, I've noticed that when it's suggested to go out to eat, there's always a few minutes of "Well what do YOU want?" This conversation can lead to anywhere, and that's part of the problem. If your family likes to eat out on the weekends, plan a specific day that you're going to go eat out for dinner. Then when it comes time to figure out where to go, take charge. If you've got a lot of calories left or you did a hard workout that day, suggest pizza. If not, suggest Subway. I have two specific days where I exercise, so I told my roommate (we eat together) that those would be great days to plan heavier meals, since I'll have more wiggle room. You'd be amazed at how eager people are to take the restaurant choice you suggest though, and it helps you make sure you don't blow your goals.

I've also heard of others saving calories for the weekend, but I'm not sure I could manage that consistently.
  • dltaylorii
    Options
    Unlike a lot of people on here, I'd say I eat out fairly often, probably once a week.

Once a week = fairly often? I ate out three times on Saturday alone, not counting the froyo from TCBY!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This weekend I didn't login, which I am now paying for with some significant weight gain. I do very well all day long at work. When I get home in the evenings and weekends, it is so much harder. My kids and husband are not on a diet, so I can't always stay away from my trigger foods. When I do get to go out to eat with my family, I don't make the best choices. I need some pointers on staying motivated to log in and track calories on weekends, and not just weekdays. If I don't get better at this, I feel like the whole week is a waste! This weekend in particular, I gained back what it took me a week and a half to lose. I can't keep doing that. Does anyone have similar struggles and maybe some tips on how you stay on track?

Here's something for you: unless you ate 7,000 calories over your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) this weekend, you really didn't gain that weight back. Assuming your TDEE is about 2,000, you would have had to eaten about 5,500 calories each day to really gain weight back. So, perhaps what you're experiencing is bloat and some water retention.

All I can offer is that you have to make a commitment to yourself to log in every single day no matter what you choose to eat. Log your exercise and your calories in every single day. Log your food before you eat, and log your exercise right after you are done. Plan your food out for the day. Eat a smaller breakfast if you know you are going out to lunch or dinner.

Forgive yourself when you make mistakes.

As for your family not being on a diet--well, you shouldn't be either. You should be working toward establishing a lifestyle change of portion control and healthy eating within certain calorie limits. I suggest chucking that "diet mentality" right out the window because it can mess a person up pretty quick.

From what I can see, MFP does not promote dieting. It offers tools to learn how to keep track of food, and calories burned if you exercise, so that you can reach your goal weight in a healthy way.

I say hang in there, weigh your solid food and measure your liquids, accurately log everything you eat and all your exercise, and make that commitment to yourself to make the lifestyle change. :smile:
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just have to add---I def agree with logging no matter how ugly it is. I went on vacation during the summer and for one full week I consumed nearly 4,000 a day! Between alcohol and grease...it was disgusting!! FARRRR from my goal of 1,200 to 1,500 cals a day! But when I came back, after looking at all that crap- it made my resolve that much stronger to get back into the groove. I had gained 7 full pounds from that (still working them off but the scale is steadily dropping a pound or two each week and I'm ALMOST back to where I started) and I never want to go back there. I have my binges (I ate a 3lb steak last weekend) but if you put everything in moderation (That's legit ALL I ate that day) you'll still lose what you want to! I still lost a pound and a half after that! And my weigh day is 2 days after. It's all about how ya work it! Never feel you CAN'T have something. Just know you can't go crazy with it.
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When you log, do you only use the computer? Or do you also have the app on your smartphone? If you use the app, there is a feature to remind you to log if you haven't logged by a certain time of day. I use it on the weekends and it has helped keep me accountable.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Once a week = fairly often? I ate out three times on Saturday alone, not counting the froyo from TCBY!

:laugh: :drinker:
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. I struggle with weekends a lot and it's probably a huge reason why I'm not losing. I'm generally active but much less strict with food. Good luck!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm trying to log in on the weekends now, I do it before I go to bed. I take my dogs out and while I'm waiting for them I log in. But staying within my cals on the weekend it tough for me. My husband and I love to cook and usually someone comes over on the weekend and then there is wine involved & desserts. I'm going to try to stay below my cals this week Mon. thru Thur. so that my average weekly will be better than this past week. :flowerforyou:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I plan meals around my journey and my family enjoys the benefits of eating healthy. My family is learning about portion size and moderation. We discuss good choices but we also discuss we can enjoy pizza, a hamburger, cake, or whatever just not ever week. We have found that we actually enjoy those foods more when we aren't having them all the time.

If I have a function to attend I make the best choices for that situation (sometimes that means eating before or after I attend just depends). I look at this as a journey rather than a diet and that means learning to maneuver through situations. If I really want something I have it b/c I know if I eat something else in the place I will most likely eat both, so I figure best to enjoy what I want instead of eating both.
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We eat out about three times a week. We tend to rotate between the same 2-3 places so I've developed an eating plan for each place. I've found too that most places are willing to juggle things a bit for you. I LOVE french fries, love, love, love them. However, I have no "off switch" when it comes to french fries and will happily clean my plate regardless of how big the serving size is (which explains my need for weight loss).

I've taken to asking to sub out the french fries for a slice of bread or something like applesauce. The places I've asked have been more than willing to do so and that cuts the calories / fat WAY down than having a huge serving of fries. Most places too are happy to do things like serve sauces on the side, when I get a breakfast sandwich I substitute the meat for applesauce and ask that the English muffin be tossed on the grill without butter etc. I wouldn't ask for anything really complicated because I know how busy it is working in a restaurant (been there, done that) but those are easy enough changes that it doesn't throw off things in the back and it helps keep me on track. I'll get a grilled chicken sandwich and ask to hold the top part of the bun and put honey mustard on the side etc. It's just little things but it really helps me a lot to stay in control (although of course everyone is different so this may be a useless post for you but it works for me!)

I also agree with the phone app. I too log in the mornings and pre-plan the day. At times if we decide on the fly to go out to eat I just zip in and change it. After you've been to your fave restaurants so many times you know the menu and you can make adjustments from there.
  • bigbyrdie
    bigbyrdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You get fat by eating too much.

"Cheat days" and "cheat meal" are poor excuses and weak justification for eating too much.

"Being too busy" is yet another weak excuse for eating too much.

Blaming your lack of will power on family food choices...yup...another excuse for eating too much.

When you are ready to commit to the lifestyle change it takes to break the chains of your food addiction, become healthy, and reach your goal, you will. Otherwise, you may lose a little weight, but then you will get fat again.

Food addicts make the same excuses as drug addicts and alcoholics. Addiction is addiction, and any justification or excuse for repeatative destructive behavior is just keeping you from achieving your goal.

Stop making excuses, and then you CAN change your life.
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh also I add the restaurant meals I like and have gotten the nutritional info for into MFP under "my meals" so I can just pop over and pick that meal and I don't have to add each item separately.

Once of our fave places is a little diner which has no nutritional info listed but it's fairly simple to break it down. I love the open faced chicken sandwich. I have it in my meals as one slice white bread, one cup diced turkey, 1/2 cup stuffing and 1/2 cup gravy. Those are estimates of course but I have found that they must be close enough because the weight is still coming off. Look online for visuals to help you estimate. For example the palm of a woman's hand is roughly three ounces (so I will take my hand and hover it over the meat to see it if fits and if there's more than my palm I can estimate for them. I'm not sure if I can post a link here but I'll try. That gives some tips on visualizing portion sizes. A food scale and measuring cups / spoons is the best and most accurate but if you're out and about it's not very handy!

http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/servings/visual_estimates.htm
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Here's something for you: unless you ate 7,000 calories over your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) this weekend, you really didn't gain that weight back. Assuming your TDEE is about 2,000, you would have had to eaten about 5,500 calories each day to really gain weight back. So, perhaps what you're experiencing is bloat and some water retention.

This!!!! Really you are holding onto water from the sodium you ate over the weekend. Unless you truly ate the 3500 calories per pound. Drink tons of water and in 3 days you will be back to normal. Hang in there! It is a process, as I'm sure you know:wink:
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Keep low cal snacks around - carrot sticks/hummus, etc. Also, you can make lower fat/cal versions of popular dishes for yourself - or just have a smaller portion. For example, I made some mini pumpkin pies last week - some with the pie crust (for my office) and some just in a muffin tin (for me). You'd be surprised at how cutting out small things like the crust can make something either diet friendly or diet not friendly!

Also, going out to eat can be really easy (I eat out lunch and dinner every day - literally). LIMIT YOURSELF. I will stick to veggies and protein - so it's almost always a salad with chicken or beef on top. When I eat Chinese, I get tofu with veggies or wonton soup. Most restaurants have a chicken broth based soup of some kind too - just get it without the chips, cheese or dairy. You'd be amazed at how a massive bowl of chicken tortilla soup is, and how low cal it can be, with just the broth, chicken and veggies.

Good luck!
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This a real problem for a lot of people, My wife worked swing shift for 3 years, while I worked days I took care of my boys and I cooked 95% of all the meals which meant I had control of what was being eaten and things were fairly healthy. Now my wife is on days and I love the fact that not everything is left for me to do and she love to cook and is a fabulous cook she is more about taste than being healthy, I would never tell her how to cook it just means I have had to learn how to change my portions to keep from eating to many calories and I have to workout harder to make my goals.

In short it can be done but sometimes you have to step back and revaluate and readjust to make your goals.
This discussion has been closed.