Suffering from an endless chest cold

Options
I have officially entered my third week with a cold that seems to have no end. It began above the neck (and I was still working out), but after a few days, it dropped below the neck and I've been suffering from nasty coughing fits since. I haven't been to the doctor b/c there's no fever, fatigue, etc. Only the annoying cough and the head/body aches that accompany the coughing. I've always heard the saying that you should not exercise if a cold is below the neck, so I've been taking it easy since it began. However, I am starting to get a little (extremely) antsy to get back with my routine! I normally run close to 20 miles/week, and I also do heavy lifting/HIIT combos a couple times a week.

Anyone have any advice for me??? :-)
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor.

A fever/fatigue is not an absolute requirement for bronchitis or even pneumonia.

My two year old had pneumonia last year for nearly 3 weeks, no fever for part of it and she was tearing through the house for most of it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    No advice, just sympathy. Keep being patient, chest colds can turn into something worse very quickly.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So I'm guessing.... no workout tonight??? ha ha- I kid, I kid!

@lisa1ll, I'm giving myself until Wednesday night and if there's no improvement by then, I'm making the dreaded call to the dr on Thursday morning.

@micheleb15- thanks for the sympathy. It just sucks. I'm not one to make excuses for not getting my workouts done, so this is a real blow to my self esteem, but I'm trying (trying) to be smart about it ;-)
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer like this constantly. Come to find out I had asthma. Might be something to talk to your doctor about.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I hear you. It's tough when you have the drive but are sidelined by a cold or injury. Viruses are the worst, they take forever. Hope you get better soon!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I suggest to be a little careful with any thing high intensity while having a virus. I continued to run HIIT exercises and ended up with walking pneumonia a few years back. So if I have a little cold, I still exercise but watch the intensity. Doctor agreed with this approach moving forward.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/exercise-when-you-have-cold
  • swimswithsharks
    Options
    Well? How long did it take to clear up?

I just saw an article that the average cough takes 18 days to clear up, whether or not you take antibiotics.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/cough-lasts-18-days-no-matter-what-you-do-study-1B7969979

I'm on day 10 with mine. Only a cough, mild fever and headache so I haven't gone to the doctor. I've worked out but keep running out of gas after about 45 minutes but it still feels good to remind the muscles.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a CBC.
  • swimswithsharks
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind if it goes beyond the average of 18 days.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a cold that has gone to me chest now - I wussed out as soon as I started feeling poorly as I didn't want to lengthen the time I had my cold - because my workouts are pretty intensive I decided a rest would probably do me the power of good. Hope yours goes soon!
  • swimswithsharks
    Options
    Epilogue: It took 18 days for the cough to go away. No antibiotics.

What I learned: I coughed a lot less when I got a better humidifier. Also I did not know that Benadryl will cut down on your bronchial irritation -- it is actually pretty effective as a cough suppressant. (Actually I was using Excedrine PM, which has benadryl in it.)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    16m52dj.jpg

Wela swore by it.

Seriously though, I had those same symptoms and after about two weeks of misery I finally gave up and went to the doc where I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. After a 10 day course of antibiotics I finally started to clear up but was sick in total for a month. Go to the doctor OP.

Good luck!