You Are Your Own Gym App - pls explain!

Hi there,
I'm looking for a new set of exercise videos for home/hotel use. Looks like YAYOG is a good option, but I can't figure out from the description whether the Android/Iphone option for $2.99 actually includes videos and timer for reps, and is organized into a routine?

I need something like 30DS, but focused on strength alone (not mixed with cardio), and hopefully that takes you through paces on the exercise routine: i.e. does exercise demo and gives you start-stop-move on to next signal for a complete routine.
If I need to time it separately and decide what exercise to do next, forget it - I'd be staring at cat videos before you know it....

If there are any other suggestions (DVD format is ok too), strength training with minimal equipment at home, not super advanced, I'd appreciate it!
Thank you!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    There are no videos, but there are good sequential photos of the moves and descriptions. There are pre-made workouts as and timers.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Another one to look into would be Sworkit. They have various exercises to choose from (strength, cardio, yoga, etc) and offer both a free and a paid version. Plus, they are an MFP partner, so you can set it to sync with your MFP account.

It doesn't have videos of the moves, but does show pictures.

Good luck!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    There are actual videos demonstrating the moves on the YAYOG app (not just sequential photos as stated above), as well as some pre-made workouts with timers and instructions. They're very customizable as to fitness level, as is the whole YAYOG program. The pre-made workouts totally take you step-by-step through what to do for that workout, tell you when to start and stop, show you videos of what you're supposed to be doing before and while you're doing it, etc. It's like having a trainer there with you almost, except it can't tell you if your form is good! :)

In the app you also have the ability to create and save your own routines as well if you're comfortable with designing your workout.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    There are no videos, but there are good sequential photos of the moves and descriptions. There are pre-made workouts as and timers.

I know the iPad version added videos, but I don't know if that extends to the phone versions. But the very basic version always had photos so you could see what you were supposed to be doing and they were thorough enough that, when they did add videos, seeing the exercise in motion didn't really add much.

And it does include pre-organized routines that are set up for one of four fitness levels as well as a "random" routine generator. It also offers the ability to create custom routines as you become more familiar with the exercises.

Personally, I really like it because all I need is my iPad. I don't need a DVD player, TV, or even a lot of space. I just came back from 10 days of living in hotels and I was able to keep up the routine with little to no trouble.
  • olyabe
    olyabe Posts: 36
    Thank you very much for the responses - I will give it a try!
    I don't have an ipad, but have an iphone and a kindle. Somewhere between those it should work out!