Help hitting macros

Options
I am trying to hot my goals, but it is hard. Looking for some guidance.

Calories not too much of an issue. I'm actually too low. I average 2193 of my 2500 goal (87.72%)

Where I am struggling is too many carbs and not enough protein.

My card goal is 156, and I am averaging 185 (118.58%).

Conversely, my protein goal is 219, and I am only averaging 176 (80.36%).

And I'm not even eating my exercise calories.

So any advice as to what more I can do? Protein shakes are starting to get BLAH, and I'm still lacking!

I got 307 daily cals to play with, but it's the macros that are killing my efforts.

Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Steak, chicken, eggs, bacon, beef jerky, edamame, greek yogurt, Quest bar are my go-tos. I struggle with protein too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Fish
    Seafood
    Cheese
    Milk
    Eggs / egg whites
    Chicken / Turkey
    Soya beans / soy 'meats'
    Greek yoghurt
    Fromage frais
    Cottage cheese
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary, i eat a 60/30/20 Carbs, fat, to protein, give you some ideas. Also try to avoid soy. Soy has alot of protein but it also has a lot of estrogen, which men don't need. And if you don't like your protein shake find a better one, or add some PB2 (powdered peanut butter to it, extra calories and protein). Trying to hit your macros though have alot of differnt reason. Are you trying to go into a state of Ketosis? Where your body is using protein for energy instead of carbs, if so your going to need to cut your carbs down way way fruther, and other than rapid weight loss, or cutting for a show/shoot, Im not sure thats really were you want to be in your health journey.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary, i eat a 60/30/20 Carbs, fat, to protein, give you some ideas. Also try to avoid soy. Soy has alot of protein but it also has a lot of estrogen, which men don't need. And if you don't like your protein shake find a better one, or add some PB2 (powdered peanut butter to it, extra calories and protein). Trying to hit your macros though have alot of differnt reason. Are you trying to go into a state of Ketosis? Where your body is using protein for energy instead of carbs, if so your going to need to cut your carbs down way way fruther, and other than rapid weight loss, or cutting for a show/shoot, Im not sure thats really were you want to be in your health journey.

First. It's not that I don;t like my protein shake? It's awesome, in fact. Just tiring. Drinking it every darn day!

Second? Ketosis? I have no idea what any of that is. I'm just eating like my trainer told me to.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

First. It's not that I don;t like my protein shake? It's awesome, in fact. Just tiring. Drinking it every darn day!

The first couple of posts gave some great ideas for protein.
    I would add cottage cheese....
    But egg and meat or chicken are great sources of protein with little carbs.
    Second? Ketosis? I have no idea what any of that is. I'm just eating like my trainer told me to.
    Ketosis is a state where you have exhausted all glycogen.....usually as a result of eating very little to no carbs.
    Then your body only uses protein and fat for energy and glucose.

Good if you can do it....but may make you very grumpy.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    wtf are you people talking about... ketosis is about using ketones which come from metabolized fat.... he isnt eating few enough carbs to go into ketosis and he doesnt seem to be attempting a ketogenic diet..

OP, your pretty close on your numbers... dont worry about the carbs and go eat some lean meat to try and get the protein up a bit... if your sick of shakes try mixing your protein powder into 0% greek yogurt...

your doing well.. dont sweat it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can be low carb and never worry about hitting Ketosis.

<that's me>

For most people you have to be under 40 to hit it. I actively was trying to half my carbs- and I was starting at 100- halved oto 50 then hit I think 70. from milk and veggies alone I think- on a 1200 calorie diet.

Getting SUPER low on carbs is hard- at 150 a day- he is no where near ketosis.

Some people like it- but since that's clearly not his intent- it's also clearly not relevant.

So - as far as carbs- you're probably getting a fair bit from your protein shake- check out the fruit content- over by 20-30 isn't the end of the world- just take a look at where the numbers are high and cut back- it's not really that hard to trouble shoot where/why you are high if you are catching everything.