Big breakfast

Will I still loose weight eating around 450 cals for breakfast? I normally have cereal but I also have a sandwich or something that I'm actually meant to eat at lunch time but I don't have time so I count it as being a big breakfast, is this okay?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Sure, why wouldn't you?

Just fit it into the rest of your day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you will lose weight if you are in daily calorie deficit...

what you have for breakfast has zero impact on weight loss; unless, of course, you eat over maintenance at breakfast...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    your body doesn't care when you feed it, just as long as you do. If you're eating at a deficit you will lose weight. it's unavoidable.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    depends on what you eat for the rest of the day. keep it simple. if it fits in your day (at or under calories) just EAT it.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    I always eat a big breakfast (typically 350-450 calories) and I also eat lunch and supper. I've lost almost 34 lbs in the last 5 months. As long as you stay in your allotted calories for the day, it's all good :o)
  • Having a big breakfast is actually good- it kick starts your metabolism for the day. I would keep in mind though that eating several times per day (like 5-6) is actually better than eating 3 big meals (or in your case, 2?)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Having a big breakfast is actually good- it kick starts your metabolism for the day. I would keep in mind though that eating several times per day (like 5-6) is actually better than eating 3 big meals (or in your case, 2?)

No. Just no.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    It's a little off-topic, for which I apologize, but I'm always a little entertained when 450 calories is considered a big breakfast. Naturally, everything is relative; I just find it funny that my apple, peanut butter and 4 oz of meat is a big breakfast.

But yes, you can still lose. You could lose if you chose to not eat any breakfast at all...or 90% of calories for the day during breakfast.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Having a big breakfast is actually good- it kick starts your metabolism for the day. I would keep in mind though that eating several times per day (like 5-6) is actually better than eating 3 big meals (or in your case, 2?)

sigh ...no...

please explain how 5-6 meals is "better" than three big meals?

meal timing and metabolism have zero correlation...and some studies have found that eating three times is actually better for blood sugar levels...
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    It's a little off-topic, for which I apologize, but I'm always a little entertained when 450 calories is considered a big breakfast. Naturally, everything is relative; I just find it funny that my apple, peanut butter and 4 oz of meat is a big breakfast.

But yes, you can still lose. You could lose if you chose to not eat any breakfast at all...or 90% of calories for the day during breakfast.

I often wish I had a penis for this reason. Men can just eat more, especially tall men. I would consider 450 a big breakfast for a regular day. If I'm havig brunch on the weekend, it's not unusual for me to have an 800 calorie breakfast though.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    I think maybe you should make sure you have the time for lunch and not the big breakfast because you might find yourself starving by the end of the day because you haven't eaten anything so you end up eating everything (in my experience) and it also pays to eat regularly because it keeps your metabolism working well and healthy.
    Good luck!
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member

sigh ...no...

please explain how 5-6 meals is "better" than three big meals?

meal timing and metabolism have zero correlation...and some studies have found that eating three times is actually better for blood sugar levels...

Thank you! It's the timing I was worried about but obviously it's fine, I couldn't manage to have 5 or more meals anyway as I never have time
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member

Agreed - I didn't think 450 was a big breakfast!
  • Florameg456
    I think maybe you should make sure you have the time for lunch and not the big breakfast because you might find yourself starving by the end of the day because you haven't eaten anything so you end up eating everything (in my experience) and it also pays to eat regularly because it keeps your metabolism working well and healthy.
    Good luck!

I try my best to grab something quick like a piece of fruit at lunch as it's all I can really fit in to my schedule, but I can admit I'm starving when it comes to dinner time, thanks!
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    But 3 big meals are all proper food so you miss out on small treat snacks now that might not be a problem for some people but for others could cause a big binge of all the stuff they have been depriving themselves of. So decreasing the big meals into 3 snacks and 3 main (regular size or smaller) will give you all the protein and stuff you need with the little bits of treats in proportion in-between that you need.... I think :embarassed:
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Makes myself eat cereal, oatmeal, or fruit
  • Florameg456
    But 3 big meals are all proper food so you miss out on small treat snacks now that might not be a problem for some people but for others could cause a big binge of all the stuff they have been depriving themselves of. So decreasing the big meals into 3 snacks and 3 main (regular size or smaller) will give you all the protein and stuff you need with the little bits of treats in proportion in-between that you need.... I think :embarassed:

Ahh, thank you!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

I often wish I had a penis for this reason. Men can just eat more, especially tall men. I would consider 450 a big breakfast for a regular day. If I'm havig brunch on the weekend, it's not unusual for me to have an 800 calorie breakfast though.

I lack a penis, as I am a woman, and I routinely eat 800-900 calorie breakfasts. Sex is irrelevant when deciding breakfast size.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Will I still loose weight eating around 450 cals for breakfast? I normally have cereal but I also have a sandwich or something that I'm actually meant to eat at lunch time but I don't have time so I count it as being a big breakfast, is this okay?

That is on the low side for my typical breakfast. I don't understand why 450 calories would be considered a big meal. On the weekends, I typically eat much more than that. :huh:

Calorie distribution is irrelevant so long as an overall deficit is maintained.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

I lack a penis, as I am a woman, and I routinely eat 800-900 calorie breakfasts. Sex is irrelevant when deciding breakfast size.

No kidding! No penis here either, and 450 calories is a light breakfast for me. For me, that means I only had a snack cake and some bacon for breakfast instead of a decent hot meal like I ought to.