Females - Building muscle around bum and hips - How to?

Options
Hiya!
I'm a 23 year old female and trying to bulk up my bum and hips (swear they never got bigger during puberty!). I'm 5ft2 and weigh 99lbs so pretty small, don't need to burn off fat just gain some muscle!
I'm going to the gym 2-3 times a week doing around 30 mins on the cross trainer, 15 mins on the rower, and around 30 mins doing resistance based exercises mainly focusing on the legs and bum. I've increased my normal calorie intake from 1700 (need this to stay the same weight), to 2000, obviously adding on more for the exercises I've done.
I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and I'm already noticing my bum feeling lifted. Just wanted some advice on what exercises I should be doing and what I should be eating (keep finding I'm always going over on fat but don't have enough carbs).
Any advice/constructive criticism is encouraged!

Replies

• moelowens132
    moelowens132 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a good idea of wheee your body is and how you don't need to lose weight, just build muscle. I can't tell you how refreshing and amazing that us! Anywho, I would recommend adding deadlifts, lunges, squats, abductors and adductors, and floor raises, focusing on your entire lower body, especially your bum area. It is very difficult for the body to bulk up one muscle group and not the others with it, as I understand, so your best bet is to make sure you're spending more time in the gym toning muscle than cardio. Cardio is important, but your body needs high quality, high protein calories to build those muscles, and if you take too many of those calories away via cardio you won't see the gains you're looking for! Anyway, that's my take on it! Best if luck lady!
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dangerous-curves-get-your-glutes-in-gear-with-supersets.html

I'm doing the same thing.
    I do a lot of deadlifts, squats, and lunges.

The article I posted is something I'm going to start doing this week
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is not an area in which I am lacking. But I have heard a lot of good things about Bret Contreras program, "Smart Curves" or something.
  • impemberstar
    impemberstar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I suggest bellydancing. It will strengthen your hips, bum, and abs. It helps ease menstrual cramps too.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I third Bret Contreras and Strong Curves. I have curves there, and I like to keep them strong and perky.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges, girl. Squats and lunges.

ETA: I'm no pro with managing my macros, but if it's more carbs you want, a bowl of cereal is the ticket for you. At least, that's what always gives me the most carbs for my day.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your workout regimen is mainly cardio centric. This is not going to help and is counterproductive to gaining mass. You can still do cardio but the core of your program should be hypertrophy based strength training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I suggest bellydancing. It will strengthen your hips, bum, and abs. It helps ease menstrual cramps too.

well bellydancing is fabulous. it's not going to build the kind of muscle she wants.

it also doesn't ease cramps- working out does- but not dancing specifically- pretty much any working out will do that for you.

OP- keep eating.
    learn barbell stuff
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Glute Raises
    Walking lunges

Go forth- be fabulous.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing well so far so keep it up! Eating more is exactly what you need to do. You can continue with your current cardio.

Get comfortable with a barbell and then start squatting, deadlifting, and lunging. Those 3 have definitely have made the difference for me. Great beginner lifting programs are Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, and New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Good luck! Go forth and work that booty!
  • mynewlife10
    Options
    Don't forget your protein intake. And, all the other nutrients that matter in repairing and building muscle.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    deadlifts & squats should be every girl's best friend.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    you seen the Beachbody workout : Brazilian Butt Lift?
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/brazil_butt_lift.do?e=48245

On the infomercial, the guy who made descibes himself as "the buttmaster". nuff said. :laugh:
  • fattymcbuttrpants
    fattymcbuttrpants Posts: 42 Member
    Options

^^ This
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Heavy weighted squats, deadlifts, and hip adbuctor
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

^^ This

x2...

I have heard good things about weighted hip thrusts and bridges too but I haven't done them...
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I fourth Bret Contreras-look him up:)
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    <
    another Strong Curves, Bret Contreras fan.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

well bellydancing is fabulous. it's not going to build the kind of muscle she wants.

it also doesn't ease cramps- working out does- but not dancing specifically- pretty much any working out will do that for you.

OP- keep eating.
    learn barbell stuff
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Glute Raises
    Walking lunges

Go forth- be fabulous.

What she said!
    I've bellydanced for four years and never built my booty! It all started with strength training. I suggest Bret Conteras' book, although I can't remember the name right now (Strong Curves maybe?). You can check it out on Amazon.

Good luck with your booty building, it's a never ending quest =)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

OP- keep eating.
    learn barbell stuff
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Glute Raises
    Walking lunges

Go forth- be fabulous.

What she said!
    I've bellydanced for four years and never built my booty! It all started with strength training. I suggest Bret Conteras' book, although I can't remember the name right now (Strong Curves maybe?). You can check it out on Amazon.

Good luck with your booty building, it's a never ending quest =)
    high five!!! :D
    I'm a semi professional... and what- since 2005? I've been dancing yeah? my butt isn't fab because of that LOL.

my triple digit dead lift on the other hand ;) wink wink- nudge nudge- could have something to do with it!!! LMAO