How much lifting to preserve LBM?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
Right now, I am doing Stronglifts, lifting M,W,F. I have started running on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays...training for a half-marathon in the spring and a full marathon in the fall. I maintain about a 500 calorie deficit, eating 1800 (TDEE - 500). As I start running more miles, I will likely start eating a bit more, but right now I'm only running 2-3 miles at a time.

I have accepted that I won't be making the strength gains I was making since I've added in so much cardio. I'm okay with that. What I am not okay with is losing a lot of LBM. I squat 150, deadlift 185ish, OHP press 60, row 75, bench about 100.

Is this enough lifting that I don't need to worry much about losing muscle? Or do you only maintain muscle if you keep progressing lifts? I'd be okay with maintaining lifts for right...I've set my mind on completeting a first marathon, so that is more important to me right now than getting my deadlift over 200.

Replies

• JTick
    Options
    Bump
  • JTick
    Options
    bumping again
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're lifting regularly and running regularly - this is how athletes build their magnificent physiques. What exactly are you worried about?
  • JTick
    Options
    You're lifting regularly and running regularly - this is how athletes build their magnificent physiques. What exactly are you worried about?

I am worried about increasing my cardio while in a deficit and losing muscle as a result...so even if my lifts become stagnant, as long as I continue lifting I'll be okay?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Keep the deficit reasonable, and there shouldn't be a problem. At a 500 calorie deficit, you should be able to rock it. Just remember that your food intake will go up as your mileage increases. :)

As a comparison, I have a bit more to cut than you, and I run a 1000 calorie deficit, on average, at an activity level a bit higher but still comparable to yours including both cardio and lifting.
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Man, I like this answer. A lot.

Not for its brusqueness, but because every time I reevaluate my current fitness regimen, I see a lot of advice designed to keep you from spinning your wheels, i.e. spending a lot of time and energyto get middling returns.

Its easy to forget that as long as your goal is generally to get healthy and improve your physique, then diet, cardio and exercise are going to help get you there
  • JTick
    Options
    Keep the deficit reasonable, and there shouldn't be a problem. At a 500 calorie deficit, you should be able to rock it. Just remember that your food intake will go up as your mileage increases. :)

As a comparison, I have a bit more to cut than you, and I run a 1000 calorie deficit, on average, at an activity level a bit higher but still comparable to yours including both cardio and lifting.

Thanks, this put my mind at ease! I just needed to quit second guessing, and just do the work.