Eating out

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not easy to prepare food vs. being served at a restaurant.

disagrees..it is easy to prepare food. Take four slices of turkey breast, put on bread, add some lettuce and tomato, and lunch is ready..that takes about five minutes.

Or pre cook a bunch of chicken on Sunday and throw it in the fridge...or through the chicken in slow cooker, remove, shred, and store...

this. this. oh and his last post too.

i happen to be one of thoe ones that prepares the weeks food sunday night (most weeks), but it doesnt even have to be that involved. take a loaf of bread to work and a pound of meat. *gasp* how hard was that again?

dude, that is impossible...you can't just take some bread and meat and throw it together in five minutes....
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options

disagrees..it is easy to prepare food. Take four slices of turkey breast, put on bread, add some lettuce and tomato, and lunch is ready..that takes about five minutes.

Or pre cook a bunch of chicken on Sunday and throw it in the fridge...or through the chicken in slow cooker, remove, shred, and store...

It's easy to prepare food, proof is above. I do this all the time. 30 - 60 minutes of work on a Sunday, while drinking beer and watching football. Easy.

It's also easy to stay fat. So just stay fat, seems like a lot of folks want an easy way out.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My job is the same, they make a big deal out of everyone voting where they want to eat and then everyone sits in the conference room and eats together like a big family.

Yeah...no. I'd have to quit my job.... :laugh:
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out ALOT but I do have certain things I order at the large chains which are figure friendly. BWW has wonderful "grilled tenders" I get mine dry rubbed and skip the dipping sauce. Popeye's naked tenders are oh so yummy I don't even miss the fried, breaded version. Popeyes BBQ sauce is only 35 calories! Bonus. Add salad or steamed veggies and forego the breads and starch for the most part and you CAN have a wonderful dinner out. New at Applebees--Chicken Wonton Tacos appetizer (you get 6-call it dinner) only 650 calories of pure bliss. I'm so obsessed with them I now make them at home. It's asian style chicken with an asian slaw....no cheese or fattening sauces...love them. :) Eveywhere else I stick with broiled or grilled seafoods/lean meats with veggies and/or salad with just vinegar or light dressing on the side.
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Where I work eating out has become a 5 day/week ritual. Chinese, Mexican, Chipotle, Bob Evans, Buffalo Wild Wings are all our go-to places to eat. Since I started a year ago I have put on 21 pounds!!!!!!! Does anyone have any eating out tips, yummy packed lunch ideas, or healthy snack ideas?

Thanks and advance!!

I can relate to this, as I've had a few jobs where lunch was a social event. The outcome was simple and predictable: When I ate out, I gained a bunch of weight. Somebody else suggested cutting it back to eating out fewer days per week to start with, and that sounds awesome. I would strongly suggest looking online to see if any of the usual places you go to have caloric information listed. A lot of chains do these days. For the rest of the week, you've got to start bringing food from home. I'm really lazy about this myself, but you've just got to force yourself. It's way less daunting and time consuming that you'd think. You learn all the quick ways to make a really tasty lunch. It's going to make all the difference.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    99% of the time I bring my own lunch, that way I can control what I eat and I know it is healthy.

If I do go out for lunch it's usually Subway.
  • Kristine_7707
    Options
    Just say NO. Plan ahead and bring your own lunch. Stop the ridiculousness.

This made me laugh out loud but i TOTALLY agree. It's much cheaper to make and bring your own anyways
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    [/quote]dude, that is impossible...you can't just take some bread and meat and throw it together in five minutes....[/quote]

LOL!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Make better choices while eating at those places.
  • _Bajiggity
    _Bajiggity Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    im with what most are saying.....bring your lunch...it saves lots of money too
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ms189ofrLI1sd1mj1o1_400.gif

Seriously though. Pack your own lunch. And for days when you're going to eat out, check the nutrition info on the sites and find something to fit your day.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My general game plan for eating out is one or a combo of the following
    1. order off the kids menu
    2. search nutrition online BEFORE you go
    3. order but plan to take half the meal home for a 2nd meal
    4. order something enjoyable but "less evil" (dressing on the side, whole grain, less fat)

But it is no wonder you have packed on pounds if this is a daily occurrence!
    Maybe you can suggest another lunch plan as a $$ savings / health challenge...
    our workplace tried to do a lunch exchange once a week - so you rotate who bring lunch for the group on that day.

^^This. Also, why eat out so much, you can save money eating at home or bringing your lunch with you to work!

I haven't eaten out in about 3 weeks, NOTHING... then again I have food allergies and am very careful about where I can go, what I can have, and research everything online first. My favorite is taking home half the meal for another meal - works every time!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Are the people at work in denial about their weight? If so, you know why.

Pack your own lunch and have an occasional lunch out. Don't be afraid to eat out just learn to ration.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.

My go to "oh crap I have no food to eat" can of tuna- 1 tbs of relish- 1 tbs of greek yogurt... bring bread or eat stand alone.

Takes less than 2 minutes to make it.

I also batch cook. I usually will do something Friday or Saturday and I ALWAYS cook Sunday- I try to prepare 2 dishes- so I can rotate and not get 'bored' although it really doesn't matter all that much to me- it stemmed out of needing to prepare MORE food in less time.. I cook a lot in a non stick pan- and 8 chicken breasts cut into cubes takes FOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR to cook in a stove top pan.

So now I do one stove top- and one baked- the baked is usually super simple- 2-3 ingredients and the stove top one is my 'experiment' with a new recepei one typically.

While those are cooking- I pre-cut all my veggies that I like to eat in my eggs. Keep them in a bing in the fridge so I can cook eggs and bacon with veggies in like 10 minutes flat. I don't mind them cold or for lunch or dinner- so I often cook 10 at a time. it's just easier.

easy- and cheaper.
  • erinleigh1128
    erinleigh1128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) A lot of you have been helpful. The social aspect of eating out with everyone for lunch is what is hard. I often pack my lunch and then go to lunch anyhow. I guess I was just looking for tips on eating healthy at restaurants.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My general game plan for eating out is one or a combo of the following
    1. order off the kids menu
    2. search nutrition online BEFORE you go
    3. order but plan to take half the meal home for a 2nd meal
    4. order something enjoyable but "less evil" (dressing on the side, whole grain, less fat)

But it is no wonder you have packed on pounds if this is a daily occurrence!
    Maybe you can suggest another lunch plan as a $$ savings / health challenge...
    our workplace tried to do a lunch exchange once a week - so you rotate who bring lunch for the group on that day.

^^This. Also, why eat out so much, you can save money eating at home or bringing your lunch with you to work!

I haven't eaten out in about 3 weeks, NOTHING... then again I have food allergies and am very careful about where I can go, what I can have, and research everything online first. My favorite is taking home half the meal for another meal - works every time!

I've eaten out almost every day this year.

I'm doing pretty well.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    why do you feel like you have to go out to eat with them?
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    IN for eating out . . .

but as far as lunch goes you should really just pack/prepare something in advance.
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make soup on the weekends- chopped meat or ground beef, broth, whatever random vegetables I have around, and a can of chopped tomatoes. Or whatever else you'd like to put in; your spices may vary! It takes 10 minutes to put together, and about an hour to cook. Then I freeze it in individual containers, and pull one out for lunch during the week (30 seconds to pull out of the freezer). You can add a few crackers, or a piece of fruit. Since it's already frozen you don't even need a fridge!
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Disappointing thread title.

Agreed.