Hpnest Discussion.

Options
I have just recently started entering the realms of IIFYM. And although I like the idea of it, because it allows me to be a little more sociable with my meal choices, I still don't agree that people should use it for the wrong reasons, like stuffing their faces with donuts and chips and soda and so forth, because even though it may fit your macros, it doesn't necessarily make it healthy to be eating nor is it beneficial to your body and how you will feel in the long run... I wonder if there are other out there who feel the same way?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Use the search function and you'll find plenty of discussion, agreement, disagreement, and arguments surrounding this topic.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Please explain the macro break down and how many donuts you can eat within that break down.

Such as, I doubt more than one or two donuts or a serving or two of ice cream will fit into your carb macro if you have already rounded out your day.
  • sgfgPatty
    Options
    Please explain the macro break down and how many donuts you can eat within that break down.

Such as, I doubt more than one or two donuts or a serving or two of ice cream will fit into your carb macro if you have already rounded out your day.

Oh I am not saying I eat donuts, or ice cream in particular, personally i stick to wholesome organic foods at all times and on the very rare occasion that i go out i might eat a pasta dish .... But I see plenty of other people discussion this topic and displaying their food diaries with copious amounts of junk food splayed across it and so on.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Oh I am not saying I eat donuts, or ice cream in particular, personally i stick to wholesome organic foods at all times and on the very rare occasion that i go out i might eat a pasta dish .... But I see plenty of other people discussion this topic and displaying their food diaries with copious amounts of junk food splayed across it and so on.

And reaching their goals eating these foods. So what? It's a great thing to be able to lose the weight (fat) by eating foods that you love .... And taste delicious btw.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Like what for example? I'm genuinely interested in these diaries with copious amounts of junk food.

Are they men that lift that have an allotment of 3000 calories per day, for a deficit? You have to eat calorie dense foods to reach that. Have you ever tried to eat 3000 calories of chicken and fish? (Think all the "I hardly ate 1200 calories and I'm stuffed" threads)

Is it a deload week for these people?

Was it someone who had a fun weekend or had a birthday party they attended?

Is it someone who is eating 1800 calories a day? They would have a very hard time following IIFYM but eating what you call "copious" amounts of junk. One bag of doritos with lunch is not copious and would probably fit into my marcos. Three bags of doritos might even fit in my macros, but if the rest of the day is fish, chicken, green vegetables and such, how is that a bad diet?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    You are creating a false dichotomy as only eating those foods would not allow you to hit the M in IIFYM which is Marcos. Unless they invent high protein ice cream then I'm in.

Also, IIFYM does not preach to avoid nutrient dense foods in favor of those but rather attempts to create harmony where one can exist in the world today and still enjoy foods they love without deprivation.

ETA: From your follow up post I'm getting the impression this was a thinly veiled attempt to express your dietary and nutritional superiority...I could be wrong though.
  • sgfgPatty
    Options

Like what for example? I'm genuinely interested in these diaries with copious amounts of junk food.

Are they men that life that have an allotment of 3000 calories per day? You have to eat calorie dense foods to reach that.

Is it someone who is eating 1800 calories a day? They would have a very hard time following IIFYM but eating what you call "copious" amounts of junk. One bag of doritos with lunch is not copious and would probably fit into my marcos. Three bags of doritos might even fit in my macros, but if the rest of the day is fish, chicken, green vegetables and such, how is that a bad diet?

Let's not worry about calories in this instance but really what the food that you eat is doing to your body, ingesting a bag of doritos is like ingesting rubbish and polluting the delicate environment that your body is... Not like say eating corn ( non gmo of course) on it's own... although there are plenty of other options that are dorito like chips which are much healthier... but people seem to by pass that options just because it fits their macros, but it turn are really damaging their insides & their long term health...

No to say that you shouldn't have that "treat", but I mean just because it fits you macros doesn't mean you should eat it on a daily basis you know what i mean?

I dunno, I just feel like it opens a whole doorway to eating garbage & getting ripped, when it shouldn't be about that.

PS: I don't exactly keep photo diaries of other peoples meal choices that's just a little too over the top for me... but I am sure that once you scan MFP you will find plenty...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If they're consistently hitting their macros and don't have any medical conditions that would stop them from eating said foods then I don't see the problem. If they're not hitting their macros then they aren't practicing iifym.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I believe the point AllTehBeers is trying to make is that it is not possible to 'stuff[sic] their faces with donuts and chips and soda and so forth' and do IIFIYM. Keep in mind that IIFIYM means meeting macro-nutrient AND micro-nutrient requirements.

You might also keep in mind that some of the people who advocate IIFIYM aren't necessarily perfect at meeting their goals in that regard. Lots of us start with 'If It Fits in Your Calories' and gradually up our game.

Last point of consideration - your definition of junk food probably includes foods that have a perfectly decent nutritional profile. Really, even pure sugar has a purpose and a reason for eating it. Energy. So even that isn't really 'junk'.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Is this about the "eat clean like me" donut guy?
  • sgfgPatty
    Options
    You are creating a false dichotomy as only eating those foods would not allow you to hit the M in IIFYM which is Marcos. Unless they invent high protein ice cream then I'm in.

Also, IIFYM does not preach to avoid nutrient dense foods in favor of those but rather attempts to create harmony where one can exist in the world today and still enjoy foods they love without deprivation.

ETA: From your follow up post I'm getting the impression this was a thinly veiled attempt to express your dietary and nutritional superiority...I could be wrong though.

Not necessarily, like I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a treat here and there, but on a daily basis it's like come on man, other people are watching you eat like that and still with a ripped body and it just plants a seed in their minds that it's ok for them to do so as well, and then those people wonder why they are still fat and your just sitting there enjoying your big mac you know...

I just feel like there's more to it rather then the "flexibility" it gives...
    A few articles I have read of IIFYM- uses the comparison of Burgers against Your traditional meal of Chicken and rice and brocoli and so forth and I am sitting here thinking, really? is that like someones inner fat kid attempting to come out and show that it's ok to eat like this and still get a ripped body??
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

That was my first thought.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Its better than staying totally off it while thinking about it, feeling restricted and finally binging! So include moderate amount of all the food you love along with healthy food and you stay healthy and "HAPPY"
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Are they men that life that have an allotment of 3000 calories per day? You have to eat calorie dense foods to reach that.

Let's not worry about calories in this instance but really what the food that you eat is doing to your body, ingesting a bag of doritos is like ingesting rubbish and polluting the delicate environment that your body is... Not like say eating corn ( non gmo of course) on it's own... although there are plenty of other options that are dorito like chips which are much healthier... but people seem to by pass that options just because it fits their macros, but it turn are really damaging their insides & their long term health...

No to say that you shouldn't have that "treat", but I mean just because it fits you macros doesn't mean you should eat it on a daily basis you know what i mean?

I dunno, I just feel like it opens a whole doorway to eating garbage & getting ripped, when it shouldn't be about that.

PS: I don't exactly keep photo diaries of other peoples meal choices that's just a little too over the top for me... but I am sure that once you scan MFP you will find plenty...

Oh. So this isn't even about IIFYM. It's about your superior diet.

Longevity is in my family blood. Most of them were/are chronic smokers/drinkers/eaters. You know, if I can enjoy my doritos and lose weight and have what *I* consider a good fun life, I'll take it. I don't need people preaching to me about a *perfect* diet.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Not necessarily, like I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a treat here and there, but on a daily basis it's like come on man, other people are watching you eat like that and still with a ripped body and it just plants a seed in their minds that it's ok for them to do so as well, and then those people wonder why they are still fat and your just sitting there enjoying your big mac you know...

A few articles I have read of IIFYM- uses the comparison of Burgers against Your traditional meal of Chicken and rice and brocoli and so forth and I am sitting here thinking, really? is that like someones inner fat kid attempting to come out and show that it's ok to eat like this and still get a ripped body??

I guess those people did not know about the universal allowance of how many treats one could have before it became too much. Not everyday clearly but some days.

And yes I fail to see the problem for someone to get ripped, have good health, and enjoy foods they like.

ETA: I was not wrong in my prior ETA
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Not necessarily, like I don't think there's anything wrong with eating a treat here and there, but on a daily basis it's like come on man, other people are watching you eat like that and still with a ripped body and it just plants a seed in their minds that it's ok for them to do so as well , and then those people wonder why they are still fat and your just sitting there enjoying your big mac you know...

That's the point...it is ok for them to do as well. IIFYM people are not magical unicorns who are impervious to Big Macs...we are just regular people who figured out that if you stick to your nutrient and exercise goals, you don't have to restrict your balls off and be trapped in a miserable life without cake.
  • sgfgPatty
    Options

I did see that one a little earlier & it sparked concern for me but also I follow a few instagram accounts and so forth who on a daily basis post the things I am talking about as well as Facebook and so on....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

No one is responsible for the eating habits of another person. If that's what you take away from watching someone eat a Big Mac then that's your own problem to sort out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,091 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

I guess there are those of us out there who think 'a healthy life' is about more than a perfect diet at all times - yes, ingesting copious amounts of junk food 24/7 is not healthy - but nobody is advocating doing that.

I dont think my body is such a delicate environment that it cant handle the pollution of one packet of doritos here and there. Or even a small packet every day, if that is what takes my fancy
    I really don't think things like this are damaging my insides and my long term health (in moderation, of course)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started entering the realms of IIFYM. And although I like the idea of it, because it allows me to be a little more sociable with my meal choices, I still don't agree that people should use it for the wrong reasons, like stuffing their faces with donuts and chips and soda and so forth, because even though it may fit your macros, it doesn't necessarily make it healthy to be eating nor is it beneficial to your body and how you will feel in the long run... I wonder if there are other out there who feel the same way?

I don't know anyone who can achieve optimal macro ratios stuffing their faces with nothing but junk....IIFYM isn't license to just go eat ****...you eat to achieve and optimal macro ratio for your fitness and health goals.
This discussion has been closed.