sigh...another question.

Options
So I have been generally following all this talk about eating exerciese cals, not eating them, eating some, etc. and I realize that it might be an individual thing where I just have to see whats right for me. My situation is a little unique in that I like to exercise at night or at the end of my day. I also like to stop eating by 7pm if possible. so I have this conflict where I earn all my exercise calories late in the day when I really dont/cant eat them. so is it ok to not eat them back? I really dont see my schedule changing anytime soon, besides the fact that I simply like exercising later in the day...any other solutions? I dont want to amp up the cals during the day cause it just feels like too much...hmmm..

Replies

• hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    I would guess there are 2 options, you could not eat them and go own with your excersise and not count those calories, especially if you do not feel deprived. OR you could add the calories from working out to the next days calories? Just some thoughts- either way keep it up!!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing in the past? Do you generally eat some back?

See, I usually dont. Maybe 1 or 2 times during the week I eat 1300, but generally like to stick to 1200. I do earn 300-500 cal per day from excersise. I also don't eat after 7.

That's been working well for me. As long as you don't feel hungry, and are satisfied, don't push eating all those extras!

Good Luck!
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry about eating them unless you're burning a lot of calories (500+) through exercise. I exercise at night too, and I've tried to have a bigger meal or an extra snack in anticipation of exercise, but sometimes I wouldn't complete all of the exercise I had scheduled and then I'd wind up in the red. Much easier to eat your cals after the fact and know you've got exercise banked already. I wouldn't worry about eating them unless you find you aren't losing well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why not enter your exercise or at least an estimate of what you will burn today, and eat the calories throughout the day prior to working out.

If you know you will run 5K tonight and you usually burn 500 cals doing it enter it in early and eat at least half of the calories between the time you get up and the time you workout, this way your caloric deficit will not be too large.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    During the week I exercise at night too, and generally don't eat my exercise calories either. (at least not all of them.)
    I have a lot of weight to take off, and MFP gives me a pretty substantial calorie limit, which means it hasn't been a problem so far.
    I think the important thing is to pay attention to your body - how you feel and are the changes happening in the right direction. If you aren't feeling well, or having too hard a time, it might be worth mentioning to your doctor for some proper advice.
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am there with ya...I didn't get done exercising until 10:20 PM.....life is so busy but at least we get it done!!! Maybe that is why I am stuck at a dang -1.0lb for the 1st week!!! We should just keep on doing it and hope for some loss!!:) Hang in there, your not the only one.:)
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I go to Pilates on Wednesdays and that's where I heard about MFP, our instructor says you should eat some of the earned calories but never all of them. She thinks some of the estimated earned calories are a little high on MFP. So I try to only eat a quarter to half of those calories. She said if you are working out you do need toeat more than the 1200 as your body's metabolism will not work as well. It seems to be working for me, just try and see. I wouldn't eat them the next day but that is just me.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I always exercise in the evening too. I don't eat back most of my exercise calories anymore. I'm not hungry so why should I try to do it?

It is really an individual thing whether you eat them or not. When I first started I set my goal at lose 2lbs a week and I HAD to eat them because I was starving all the time! I stepped back my goal to 1 1/2lbs loss a week and now I'm much happier and I don't eat back all the exercise calories.

Unless you're using a heart rate monitor to track calories MFP might be overestimating how many you burn and you'd be over eating anyhow.
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    MHANSON~

How do I say this....no matter what you eat only 1200 cals?? Or if you don't eat them you take your 1200 minus you exercise cals which will drop you down say...to 900 cals? IThat has been me in some ways and I am stuck at -1.0lb for the 1st week so far...crap not what I was hoping for. Explain please...I would love to figure this out:)
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I work out after work, so I estimate the number of calories for my log so I can plan my meals more effectively. This does two things. I feel "allowed" to eat a larger breakfast and lunch and I am motivated to actually get my behind to the gym because my day is planned around burning a certain number of calories. Also, I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories, but I will sometimes.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Why not enter your exercise or at least an estimate of what you will burn today, and eat the calories throughout the day prior to working out.

If you know you will run 5K tonight and you usually burn 500 cals doing it enter it in early and eat at least half of the calories between the time you get up and the time you workout, this way your caloric deficit will not be too large.

Exactly.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the general concensus. Eat a little throughout the day or don't eat them as long as it's working for you.

You may have to reconsider if you plateau though. If you work out and are burning significant calories and not eating your "working out " calories, may hinder you later on. Your body may go into "survival Mode" and try to hang onto some of the fat. So that is my opinion.

So just do what you're doing and if it works, then great. You can always try to adjust later on if it doesn't seem to be working for you.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I actually am on a heart rate monitor all the time so I adjust calories accordingly. they are a little high on MFP. I think I will try just adding in a hundred calorie snack in as long as I have an hour before bed and just hope it doesnt start a dangerous chain reaction of calorie eating post workout :) and I guess besides that it will just take a couple weeks of carful watching to figure out whats best for me...so glad to hear im not the only evening workout lover!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I used to walk at night on my route while away from a computer so I would set a goal for the number of calories and I try to eat atleast half of the alotment from MFP and over 1200 Calories each day.....Setting a goal sometimes pushed me to keep going when i wanted to stop....and also It was my goal to pass my goal as often as possible be on by like 50 or so.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, to eat back some calories and get something in your system post workout for recovery what about a spoonfull of peanut butter. Gives you some protein and fat without filling you up.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Eating SOMETHING post workout IS a good thing. Something high in protein is best. It helps with muscle recovery and your metabolism is high at that point too.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree with Peanut butter, i love this as a snack but PB is high in cals per serving tho and can make some people restless at night, also try a 11oz Myoplex Light shake after w/out (within 30 - 45mins is good for your recovery) its ~ 170 cals with i think 17g of protein. Even the 14 oz (25g protein) regular version is only ~200 cals. A glass of chocolate milk when you got done working out would help on the vigorous cardio days too....just a couple ideas.

BTW - the 14 oz bottles have a cap, the 11oz don't. you could drink half the 14oz and drink the other half the next morning or night.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i work out at night too...so i reach my caloric goal, and then burn about 400 calories in the gym....i'm still above 1200, but i can have a snack when i get home (handful of nuts or something, plus my protein drink) and i'm fine...but make sure you eat during the day...the closer to your caloric goal the better...for me it's motivation to get my butt to the gym because i consumed my alloted amount
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I work out at night too after work. I usually don't get done until around 8 - 8:30 pm but I try and get 1200 calories before I work out and then have a protien shake after my work out. The protien shake is around 220 calories and will fill me up so I am not hungry until I go to bed around 10-11pm and through out the night.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    MHANSON~

How do I say this....no matter what you eat only 1200 cals?? Or if you don't eat them you take your 1200 minus you exercise cals which will drop you down say...to 900 cals? IThat has been me in some ways and I am stuck at -1.0lb for the 1st week so far...crap not what I was hoping for. Explain please...I would love to figure this out:)

I aim for 1200 a day. Most days I eat 1200 or a little over. I'm satisfied, and am having a decent loss each week.
    Once a week or so, I do eat my exercise calories. - But yes every day I do work out and earn 300-500 cals and normally do not touch them.

I think the best thing in this MFP program, is to find what works best for you, and so far, this is working well.
    When I started, I talked with my Dr regarding calorie intake vs eating exercise cals, and she said to eat more if I feel starving, faint or light headed, otherwise, everything looks good.