Crazy hunger at night, what do I do?

Options
I've been trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories per day, while my TDEE is about 1900. I do alright during the day but i'm just crazy ravenous at night? I wake up in the middle of the night and eat whatever comes to mind. I've already "spoiled" the first two days of my plan with just a 450 deficit on one day and 0 on the other. I can't go on like this, any pointers?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A 20% cut from your TDEE is 1520 - you could stand to eat more, especially if you're legitimately hungry. Maybe your body is trying to tell ya something. :smile:
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    stock some low calorie munchie food that's easy to grab. air popcorn, fruits and veggies. that sort of thing. are you getting enough protein? make sure you have some of your calories in fat and protein, that's what keeps you full. other stuff passes right thru leaving you hungry. don't eat a lot of sugary things that will also trigger hunger pangs.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    @astartig: Earlier I would keep an apple/orange with me for the night, but recently, my doctor has kept me on certain dietary restrictions due to some allergies of mine, because of which I'm not allowed fruit! Also no sweets and sugary additives, so I don't eat a lot of sugar unless I've added it in my coffee.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Bump?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I like to have a slice of cheese on some swedish crispbread (knackerbrod) or a rice cake, sometimes I'll add just a little bit of lunchmeat as well.
  • imogen11
    Options
    Eat more :-)
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Usually the first thing to do if your hungry at night is drink some water. Sometimes its just the body needing to be hydrated. May have to assess room temperature also.

If that fails, then try eating more high protein low calorie foods. Generally anything that is high in GI as it keeps you feeling fuller for longer.

Examples:
    Apples, peanuts, low fat milk, milo, tuna, protein shakes, yogurt and non-fat cottage cheese.

You could also consider medication or detoxing your system. I take ganoderma capsules before i sleep which are a food suppliment and aids in the strengthening of the immune system. This keeps me well rested all night.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I noticed I was feeling hungry at night and was getting up to nibble on something. I upped my calories during the day and ate something containing protein on an evening. This has helped a little. I sometimes still feel hungry, but have a hot drink (herbal tea) or water instead.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    "I've been trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories per day, while my TDEE is about 1900. "

You've written the answer yourself...

:noway:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    "I've been trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories per day, while my TDEE is about 1900. "

You've written the answer yourself...

:noway:

Yep. There is no reason for you to eat that low. Weight loss is a lot easier when you get to eat more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eat more, especially protein and fats. If you open your diary, we can look but I suspect its carb heavy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're hungry because you're not eating enough. A 15-20% deficit from your TDEE would give you a range of 1520-1615 per day. Enjoy those few hundred calories!

And as others suggested, try eating more protein and healthy fats as those will keep you full longer.
  • MissDireWolf
    MissDireWolf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A packet of Chicken Boullion and a cup of hot water does the trick. You sip it slowly and by the time you finish you won't be as hungry. It's become my savoir while on Optifast.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    My advice is have some filling low carb stuff around that's nice, and allow for it in your calorie allowance. Wheyhey protein ice cream saves my life regularly. Also, a really nice tasting chocolate whey protein drink. I use PHD diet Belgian chocolate. Filling and delicious.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    A 20% cut from your TDEE is 1520 - you could stand to eat more, especially if you're legitimately hungry. Maybe your body is trying to tell ya something. :smile:

This is correct.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    My advice is have some filling low carb stuff around that's nice, and allow for it in your calorie allowance. Wheyhey protein ice cream saves my life regularly. Also, a really nice tasting chocolate whey protein drink. I use PHD diet Belgian chocolate. Filling and delicious.

Unfortunately, I can't find whey protein in my locality at a reasonable price. I can hold out until bedtime, but I specifically get up in the middle of the night to eat! Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Last night I woke up so many times to eat I realised I'd eaten around 1250-1300 calories overnight! (after 12 am). That doesn't leave me with much for the day :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Options

1. Stop eating at a 500-700 calorie cut and take in more food.

2. Plan your day better.

3. Both 1 and 2.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's real hunger? It sounds like something more going on if you're waking up all night and eating 1000+ calories on top of your daily intake. If nothing else, sleep deprivation can make you ravenous, at least is does me, and it's my biggest hurdle so that can't be helping your situation either. I'd definitely up the calorie allowance, but I don't think that will stop the 1200 calorie binging until you discover the root cause. Are you stressed, tired, depressed, suffering from insomnia, on medication?
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Well one reason i ate so much last night might be because I'd eaten 350 calories the whole of yesterday. (not a diet, I was a little under the weather). But I am insomniac and I've taken medication but it doesn't work. Even the off-the-counter sleep meds don't work. I've yet to try stuff like peppermint and sugarless gum to kill the urge of eating something though...
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    with what you've described I wonder if you're really hungry or if it's something else you associate with hunger.

I can't fall asleep when I am hungry. I find myself there I get a small piece of cheese and a couple high fiber crackers (dr kracker) ends up being about 125 calories total with a glass of water and I am good.

how much water do you drink? I keep a 50 oz bottle of water at my side at all times. that I think helps a lot. I am also on a keto diet. (very low carb so the body stays in ketosis) the high fat and protein help keep hunger at bay. I get far hungrier when I eat normal amounts of carbs.