Running Advice

Options
I am new to running and getting close to finishing the C25K program.
When people start to go on longer runs, do you take fluids, food etc. with you? If so how do you carry it?

Thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For a 5k, I dont take anything with me.

I dont like to carry water, as I find it difficult to drink while running. Even on 10ks, I dont drink while I run.

For a half-marayhon, or the tough 8 mile cross country I did last week, I'll carry a few jelly beans or similar, and chew one of those each mile for the last half of the run. I carry them in the zip pocket on my trousers, or at the back of my running top, or in my pockets if I'm wearing a jacket, or in the little pouch inside my wristband, or in a waist-pocket that clips around me. One of those.

Hydrate well before and after the run.
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't, I don't like to drink and run, so even in hot weather I just have plenty to drink before I go out. I only run up to around an hour though.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    There are several options for carrying food and drink, and people's preferences are going to vary widely--only you can figure out which of these will work best for you:

1. Fuel belt. Come with differing number of bottles, and often a zip pouch you can stick gels, chews, keys, or whatever in. I tried this, didn't like having something around my waist.

2. Hand-held bottle. Have a band that slips over your hand so it's easier to carry, the carrier also often has a pocket or two. I don't care for these, either--makes me feel uneven to have weight in one hand but not the other, but many people love them.

3. Bike jersey, vest, or jacket. Cycling gear virtually always has nice deep pockets in the back (some zip, most don't). They'll hold food, phone, keys, and small bottles (I use one of the flat bottles made for the fuel belts--fits snug against the small of my back and isn't noticeable). My favorite.

4. Hydration pack. Best for long runs (I use mine for runs of over 2-3 hours, depending on temps). Holds a bladder for fluid and often has pockets for food.

5. Don't carry anything (except maybe a few bucks) and run where you know there are water fountains or a convenience store. Or set up laps that go past your house or car, and stop for a drink/food there. Some people stash water bottles on their route ahead of time, and pick them up during their run.

You may need to test out a few options before you figure out what's best for you. Best of luck with your running!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run all my training runs (up to 22 miles) with neither food nor water. You just don't need it. The exception being runs over 2.5 hours where the Temps are in the 80s. Then I take water as a precaution.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I run all my training runs (up to 22 miles) with neither food nor water. You just don't need it.
    No, YOU just don't need it. It's absurd to assume everyone's hydration and nutrition needs are the same. The OP will learn what works for him through trial and error--presumably the same way you did.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's more difficult in the summer so I make my run so that I pass a water fountain. I am fortunate to have a great park nearby for that. Otherwise I use the Nathan Minimalist vest its very light and only holds like 75 oz of water so its perfect.
    From everything I have read you should drink 4 oz of water for every 15 mins you run. If you can grab those smaller 8 oz bottles of water that will be easier to run with. Also- if you plan to do a longer run hydrating the day before is important and just having a few sips before your run is good too. lastely.. I drink Vega electrolyte powder in my water right after and some times coconut water. They both really seem to help me re-establish my electrolytes.

Have fun, running is the best.. take care of stretching afterwards too!
  • stephen4232
    stephen4232 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!

I will see what works for me and take it from there.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience is a hand held bottle is nice for shorter runs and then I use a hydration belt for longer runs. I need a lot of water. When I ran a half marathon I did take a gu with me. I "run" really slowly so I am out for a while when running. Good luck finding what is right for you.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to whether you are a "salty" sweater as well. You can tell by looking at dark clothing after your run, if it's got a white sweat stain on it that means you're losing a lot more electrolytes than someone who isn't a salty sweater. from there pay attention to the weather, if it's hot and humid, cold, sunny, etc. Then look at how far/how long you are running. For a 5k distance you may not need anything unless it is extremely hot and/or humid out. Rule of thumb, electrolyte replenishment is needed after about 2 hours of intense exercise (again this is general so it can be slightly different for individuals). Replacing water is a good idea if you're going to be out for an hour or more. I carry mine on a fuel belt, just make sure it's cinched tight enough to reduce bouncing. It did take a little bit of getting used to. I only bring mine on really hot days or long runs. Typically I'll finish the first two water bottles while I'm running and the last two while stretching, then continue to hydrate throughout the day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I run all my training runs (up to 22 miles) with neither food nor water. You just don't need it.
    No, YOU just don't need it. It's absurd to assume everyone's hydration and nutrition needs are the same. The OP will learn what works for him through trial and error--presumably the same way you did.

Well, Carson is correct. Also, we don't know what the OP's definition of "long run" is. I run fasted up to 18 miles - you just don't need anything except maybe a swig or two of water. Save your money!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When people start to go on longer runs, do you take fluids, food etc. with you? If so how do you carry it?

Thanks.

Most people don't need fluids or calories for shorter runs. Most people on reasonably normal diets with reasonably normal eating patterns and reasonably normal workout routines have enough stored energy for about 90 minutes of moderate exercise. For most people, that's somewhere in the 6-10 mile range.

That said, there is a psychological aspect here too, and many people, especially new runners, need to ease into things. For most people who don't know what they need, my philosophy is always this: It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

So if you are unsure, I recommend taking a small gell or something and a little water. You can stash it somewhere along the route, or carry a water bottle or a small belt/backpack. It's all personal preference. I do encourage you to be really honest with yourself during the run about whether or not you truely need a drink before you take it.

Nothing is worse, IME, than being emotionally tied to water during your workouts.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Jacksonpt is spot on. You usually don't NEED to take anything. But is so cool.

Ok, I got a Nathan's running pack. its awesome. I put my phone, gel, $20 in it. I don't use the gel on short runs. I just like having the pack is all.

Holding bottles is just annoying to me, just me.. I also run with a jogging stroller, in that case I just load that up with water bottle, gel, juice, toys, groceries. etc.

Probably the best thing to take with you, is a kid or two. I would recommend getting at least one.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Nothing is worse, IME, than being emotionally tied to water during your workouts.

Can I ask why you feel that way? Honestly curious.

I'm getting ready to run a half and I wear a belt. I use it to hold my phone (for tracking, music and emergencies), a couple of gels, and yes....water to drink. I don't drink much, but it does make me feel better and I guess I'm not sure what's wrong with that? Whether I actually *need* it or not, I'm not sure why 6 oz of water or Gatorade is such a bad thing?
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I'm a new runner as of March and I have found the handheld water bottle my go to for my longer runs. If I don't have water, after km 15, my mouth is severely dry and I start to slow down. It's just a small, ergonomically desined bottle that slips on my hand and it's tight enough that I can keep my hands loose during my run. I take a small sip every km and it's worked for me.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I'm envisioning the guys at the gym that walk around chugging a gallon jug of water after every set? Or the 5K runners that wear fuel belts haha
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    So far, I don't take anything with me to eat/drink on my runs (6 miles is my longest right now). I think the general wisdom is that you don't really need to worry about it until 8 or so miles. Do what feels comfortable for you. If you run 8-10 miles with no food/water, then great. If you feel shaky and awful after 7, think about bringing water or food.

Personally, I just throw a few dollars into my pocket and then can get water if I want or need to. Usually, I finish my run, get some water and drink it while I walk home, which makes for a pleasant cool down.

I think the exception is when temperatures are very high. When I was first running, I had one day with temps in the 80s. I didn't go very far, but afterwards, I felt like I couldn't keep my eyes open. I thought it was just the sweat stinging my eyes. Then I started to feel all woozy and almost passed out. I grabbed some water quickly and felt much better after drinking a lot of water. It was kind of scary though because I was really close to just collapsing. Be careful if the temperatures are very warm and take some water with you, even if you just leave it in your car for when you are done.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm getting ready to run a half and I wear a belt. I use it to hold my phone (for tracking, music and emergencies), a couple of gels, and yes....water to drink. I don't drink much, but it does make me feel better and I guess I'm not sure what's wrong with that? Whether I actually *need* it or not, I'm not sure why 6 oz of water or Gatorade is such a bad thing?

To some extent, it's personal preference. But it's also more things to "complicate" a workout, or to go wrong during a race. If you're fine carrying all that stuff, then have at it. Personally, one of the things I like best is not having to carry anything. I don't carry anything when I run (no keys, no phone, I don't even take an ipod/headphones). I take a small tool kit with me on my road rides, but that's usually it. I don't take any tools or a hydration pack on mountain bike rides. Heck, one of the things I like best about my singlespeed is it's simplicity - no gears to shift, no travel to adjust, no chain slap, etc.

When you get rid of all the extraneous stuff, it's just about you and the run or the ride. It's awesome.

• jacksonpt
    Options

I'm envisioning the guys at the gym that walk around chugging a gallon jug of water after every set? Or the 5K runners that wear fuel belts haha

Yea. I never understood that either. I see kids walking around the gym doing ridiculous body part splits carrying around shaker cups full of red stuff. They are 20 years old and weight 150lbs soaking wet. Seriously? It makes me chuckle. But hey, at least they are lifting, even if they are over complicating it to the nth degree, and the fact that they are doing it is still better/more than what 90% of people are doing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

To some extent, it's personal preference. But it's also more things to "complicate" a workout, or to go wrong during a race. If you're fine carrying all that stuff, then have at it. Personally, one of the things I like best is not having to carry anything. I don't carry anything when I run (no keys, no phone, I don't even take an ipod/headphones). I take a small tool kit with me on my road rides, but that's usually it. I don't take any tools or a hydration pack on mountain bike rides. Heck, one of the things I like best about my singlespeed is it's simplicity - no gears to shift, no travel to adjust, no chain slap, etc.

When you get rid of all the extraneous stuff, it's just about you and the run or the ride. It's awesome.

I can understand that. But, on the flip side, I am someone who enjoys zoning out to music. My runs are still very much about me & the road.....but the music helps me get out of my head. I also have to have my phone - I have a small child and need to be immediately accessible.

And a little water here and there puts the spring back in my step (whether it's all in my head or not). My belt is comfortable and the weight doesn't bother me. So, I guess that - for me - it's personal preference to have those things.

I'm not advocating that everyone carry their house with them when they run or ride. But, if a couple of items help you improve your performance and that improvement increases your confidence and that confidence helps you get back out there again and getting back out there again helps you improve.......well, you see where I'm getting at with this. A phone and a lightweight belt make me feel better, which makes me more likely to stick with my fitness plans. Personal preference.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I take water with me. My running is trail running, sometimes in areas where I won't see anyone else for the entirety of my run. So, it's a good precaution. However, I also just like it. Hell, if I'm going on a long run, why make myself needlessly uncomfortable? If I were competing, maybe I'd have different habits. But, it's something I'm doing because I love it and it's good for me, so if I like having water with me I'm going to bring it.

I use a hydropack. Mostly I have it for hiking, but I really like it on my long runs. There is enough space in it to put in a snack, maybe a long sleeve shirt, TP, and some bandaids.